Author Topic: This video should scare the batcrap out of you  (Read 21218 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: This video should scare the batcrap out of you
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »
It's a myth that people who choose to live in BFE actually have votes that carry more weight with the electoral college.

A vote in Wyoming is worth more than a vote in New York. I agree with everything else you said.

Hmm. Dividing a single vote by electoral college votes leaves a Wyoming vote at .33 and a New York vote at .032, but that .032 counts toward .057 of the electoral total, while Wyoming's .33 only counts toward .005. Seems like kind of a wash, but maybe the population numbers change that, with the Senate limit of 2 working in Wyoming's favor.

:dunno:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
It's a myth that people who choose to live in BFE actually have votes that carry more weight with the electoral college.

A vote in Wyoming is worth more than a vote in New York. I agree with everything else you said.

Hmm. Dividing a single vote by electoral college votes leaves a Wyoming vote at .33 and a New York vote at .032, but that .032 counts toward .057 of the electoral total, while Wyoming's .33 only counts toward .005. Seems like kind of a wash, but maybe the population numbers change that, with the Senate limit of 2 working in Wyoming's favor.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers:

NY Electoral votes: 31
NY population: 19.5 million
NY EV/million people: 1.6

WY Electoral votes: 3
WY population: 544,000
WY EV/million people: 5.5

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
Didn't use any population numbers. Just electoral college totals.

But if you divide a single vote by population by electoral apportionment by electoral college total, a Wyoming vote is worth 400 times more than a New York vote (or maybe 40 or maybe 4000. There were lots of decimals involved and I'm not entirely sold on my methodology).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »

But if you divide a single vote by population by electoral apportionment by electoral college total, a Wyoming vote is worth 400 times more than a New York vote (or maybe 40 or maybe 4000. There were lots of decimals involved and I'm not entirely sold on my methodology).

jesus christ man. I was talking about per person.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »

jesus christ man. I was talking about per person.

So was I, under the electoral system.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:09:16 PM by felix rex »

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »
I see there's only mocking, no refutation.  But please, stay blind.  :cool:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:11 PM »
He still didn't notice.
 :lol:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
He still didn't notice.

I notice you wear a helmet to keep you safe when you fall down walking through your living room.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
definitely need an iq test for people wanting firearms.

It would come in handy in a lot of different areas.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
definitely need an iq test for people wanting firearms.

It would come in handy in a lot of different areas.

It would absolutely cripple the market for legally obtained firearms.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
He still didn't notice.

What did he miss? Obviously you know nothing about our government. Let me explain it to you. There are three branches. One of them is the Dakota's. This branch is elected to represent both the states, in the North Dakota house, and the population, in the South Dakota House. Then, there is the Washington branch. This is the commander-in-chief, who gets to boss everyone around, but not too much, or the Dakotas can fire his ass. Last but not least, there is the Juneau branch, based in Alaska. These guys are appointed by the Washington branch, and get to tell the Dakotas if the crap they try to pull is legal or not.

Did I miss anything, Sanchez?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2011, 02:17:19 AM »
He still didn't notice.

What did he miss? Obviously you know nothing about our government. Let me explain it to you. There are three branches. One of them is the Dakota's. This branch is elected to represent both the states, in the North Dakota house, and the population, in the South Dakota House. Then, there is the Washington branch. This is the commander-in-chief, who gets to boss everyone around, but not too much, or the Dakotas can fire his ass. Last but not least, there is the Juneau branch, based in Alaska. These guys are appointed by the Washington branch, and get to tell the Dakotas if the crap they try to pull is legal or not.

Literally lol'd at this post.  Well done.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2011, 05:43:22 AM »
What if we just took an eraser to the electoral college thing?

Terrible Idea, unless you want all our presidents to be elected in New York City and Los Angeles.

That's just poor logic. The electoral college assigns votes based upon population, so New York and Los Angeles are accounted for. The real problem with the system is that if a candidate were to win a state by just one vote, he/she would still get all the votes from the electoral college as if he/she won the state by unanimous decision. The system should be done away with.

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

Please, read a book about the electoral college, and stop listening to Al Gore about how bad it is.

Right now, the rural parts of New York and California might as well not even have a vote if they disagree with the majority in the cities of Los Angeles and New York. If you really think these cities would have enough pull to decide elections nationally without the electoral college, it's pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to argue that the rural areas of those states have any say at all with it.

I would rather the rural areas of TWO states have no say than the Rural areas of an entire country.

Who cares what some rural hayseeds think about an issue in the proposed straight election?  All I have to do to win an election is hit LA, New York, Chicago, and a few more key cities, promise them cheaper bagels and lower Taxi fees and I have it. Well, I might also need a winning smile, I'll get back to you when I've got that too.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
He still didn't notice.

You know what I said. 

No, I shouldn't assume that you do.  That would require knowing Constitutional history.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
I'd hate being a typical birther pit post'r.  Seems miserable.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »

Terrible Idea, unless you want all our presidents to be elected in New York City and Los Angeles.

That's just poor logic. The electoral college assigns votes based upon population, so New York and Los Angeles are accounted for. The real problem with the system is that if a candidate were to win a state by just one vote, he/she would still get all the votes from the electoral college as if he/she won the state by unanimous decision. The system should be done away with.

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

Please, read a book about the electoral college, and stop listening to Al Gore about how bad it is.

Right now, the rural parts of New York and California might as well not even have a vote if they disagree with the majority in the cities of Los Angeles and New York. If you really think these cities would have enough pull to decide elections nationally without the electoral college, it's pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to argue that the rural areas of those states have any say at all with it.

I would rather the rural areas of TWO states have no say than the Rural areas of an entire country.

Who cares what some rural hayseeds think about an issue in the proposed straight election?  All I have to do to win an election is hit LA, New York, Chicago, and a few more key cities, promise them cheaper bagels and lower Taxi fees and I have it. Well, I might also need a winning smile, I'll get back to you when I've got that too.

Why should rural votes count for more than city votes? Seems to me all votes should be equal.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2011, 08:14:43 AM »

Who cares what some rural hayseeds think about an issue in the proposed straight election?  All I have to do to win an election is hit LA, New York, Chicago, and a few more key cities, promise them cheaper bagels and lower Taxi fees and I have it. Well, I might also need a winning smile, I'll get back to you when I've got that too.

Why should rural votes count for more than city votes? Seems to me all votes should be equal.

A national campaign stop never be held outside of CA, FL, NY, OH, TX, IL, or a handful of other mostly eastern states.  The great plains and mountain west would become completely irrelevant on the national stage.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2011, 08:16:33 AM »

Who cares what some rural hayseeds think about an issue in the proposed straight election?  All I have to do to win an election is hit LA, New York, Chicago, and a few more key cities, promise them cheaper bagels and lower Taxi fees and I have it. Well, I might also need a winning smile, I'll get back to you when I've got that too.

Look, there have only been 4 presidents elected while losing the popular vote (only 1 since the 1800's), and each time it was by a very small margin. The cities play a major role, but it's not like 100% of the "big city vote" is going to go to 1 candidate.

Why don't you want everyone's vote to count?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »

A national campaign stop never be held outside of CA, FL, NY, OH, TX, IL, or a handful of other mostly eastern states.  The great plains and mountain west would become completely irrelevant on the national stage.

yes, capitalism

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2011, 08:23:01 AM »

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

I don't see that as a problem. Show most rational, sane people the Birther Pit and I think they'd agree with making the great plains irrelevant on the national stage.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

I don't see that as a problem. Show most rational, sane people the Birther Pit and I think they'd agree with making the great plains irrelevant on the national stage.

:thumbs:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:04 AM »

A national campaign stop never be held outside of CA, FL, NY, OH, TX, IL, or a handful of other mostly eastern states.  The great plains and mountain west would become completely irrelevant on the national stage.

So the candidates will just completely ignore Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, etc? That doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me. Also, the 2 party system still exists, and I'm sure Iowa will try to stay relevant in the primary elections.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:30:14 AM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
Anybody that has traveled outside the region already knows that the plains are irrelevant.
 :ck:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Buffalo Commons

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »