Author Topic: This video should scare the batcrap out of you  (Read 21217 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: This video should scare the batcrap out of you
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »
ksu won't be ksu anymore.   :frown:

more like western ozarks state

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
once we have the implanted technology we can all vote instantly on every issue thus doing away with the need for congress.  every citizen in the country can vote on every issue and the president gets veto power but is also up for re-election every 6 months so if he abuses his veto power he's toast.  

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
once we have the implanted technology we can all vote instantly on every issue thus doing away with the need for congress.  every citizen in the country can vote on every issue and the president gets veto power but is also up for re-election every 6 months so if he abuses his veto power he's toast.  

also, citizens can propose laws.  but if the law is voted down, they're kicked out of the country.

so like, if dirty sanchez proposes that all homos are to be thrown in a special homo jail, and 94% of the country votes it down, then dirty sanchez is dropped off in el salvador or somewhere equally shitty.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
voting with the implanted tech earns spg points

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
I think the Constitution should make bad weather illegal.  I hate that stuff.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
What if we just took an eraser to the electoral college thing?
 :dunno:

Terrible Idea, unless you want all our presidents to be elected in New York City and Los Angeles.

That's just poor logic. The electoral college assigns votes based upon population, so New York and Los Angeles are accounted for. The real problem with the system is that if a candidate were to win a state by just one vote, he/she would still get all the votes from the electoral college as if he/she won the state by unanimous decision. The system should be done away with.

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

Please, read a book about the electoral college, and stop listening to Al Gore about how bad it is.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »
can I cash in said spg points to purchase more votes?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »

Yes, Cap and Trade, but for votes.  If your neighbor isn't using his, you could negotiate or barter for them. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »

Yes, Cap and Trade, but for votes.  If your neighbor isn't using his, you could negotiate or barter for them. 
nice! the free market solution to voter apathy.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
we don't need one dakota let alone two

happy birthday canada, here's a couple dakotas.  we've had our eye on vancouver for awhile fyi.  

this needs to happen.  
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »

nice! the free market solution to voter apathy.

Votes have value.  If you don't use them anyway, you should at least get your lawn mowed for them.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »

Best idea in thread

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »

Terrible Idea, unless you want all our presidents to be elected in New York City and Los Angeles.

That's just poor logic. The electoral college assigns votes based upon population, so New York and Los Angeles are accounted for. The real problem with the system is that if a candidate were to win a state by just one vote, he/she would still get all the votes from the electoral college as if he/she won the state by unanimous decision. The system should be done away with.

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

Please, read a book about the electoral college, and stop listening to Al Gore about how bad it is.

So instead of "battleground states" we would have "battleground cities"? The horror.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
once we have the implanted technology we can all vote instantly on every issue thus doing away with the need for congress.  every citizen in the country can vote on every issue and the president gets veto power but is also up for re-election every 6 months so if he abuses his veto power he's toast. 
hacks
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

So instead of "battleground states" we would have "battleground cities"? The horror.

Actually, there wouldn't be "battleground" anything, because nobody would get a unanimous vote from any state or city simply by winning the majority.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »

First of all, novice, New York CITY and the CITY of Los Angeles don't have electoral college representation...their states do.  There are rural people in those states as well (shocking, I know).  If we did away with the electoral college, Politicians could select a few, highly populated locations and campaign exclusively in those locations.  Politicians are forced to gain support across the entire country, rather than specific regions.

Right now, the rural parts of New York and California might as well not even have a vote if they disagree with the majority in the cities of Los Angeles and New York. If you really think these cities would have enough pull to decide elections nationally without the electoral college, it's pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to argue that the rural areas of those states have any say at all with it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »

Actually, there wouldn't be "battleground" anything, because nobody would get a unanimous vote from any state or city simply by winning the majority.

Presidential candidates would definitely focus on large population centers, which I think is much better than focusing on a select few states. I was just taking issue with the argument that the current system works because the votes of people who choose to live in BFE carry more weight than those who choose to live in cities.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »

Presidential candidates would definitely focus on large population centers, which I think is much better than focusing on a select few states. I was just taking issue with the argument that the current system works because the votes of people who choose to live in BFE carry more weight than those who choose to live in cities.

Campaigns would have to focus on the entire country. Population centers would be important, but no more important than they are now. In fact, population centers in swing states would actually be less important than they are now. It's a myth that people who choose to live in BFE actually have votes that carry more weight with the electoral college.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »

I  heard this proposed by a radical prof in the history department when I took history of the west.  For a historian, he clearly wasn't too bright.  There's a reason why we went with two legislative bodies when we put the Constitution together.  Hell, I think we covered that in 8th grade social studies.  One house for population, one house for states.  Along those lines, there's a reason why the 17th amendment was stupid.  Almost completely negated the reason that system was set up in the first place.  Essentially became two of the same house.  Separated from ye olde English common law tradition of an upper and lower house.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »

I  heard this proposed by a radical prof in the history department when I took history of the west.  For a historian, he clearly wasn't too bright.  There's a reason why we went with two legislative bodies when we put the Constitution together.  Hell, I think we covered that in 8th grade social studies.  One house for population, one house for states.  Along those lines, there's a reason why the 17th amendment was stupid.  Almost completely negated the reason that system was set up in the first place.  Essentially became two of the same house.  Separated from ye olde English common law tradition of an upper and lower house.

:lol:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »

wut

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »
love love love the Dirty Sanchez pit!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »

omg  :thumbs:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
It's a myth that people who choose to live in BFE actually have votes that carry more weight with the electoral college.

A vote in Wyoming is worth more than a vote in New York. I agree with everything else you said.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]