Author Topic: Things in Wichita that don't suck  (Read 194986 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Things in Wichita that don't suck
« Reply #1375 on: September 07, 2022, 11:27:54 AM »
hyatt

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 07, 2022, 11:39:38 AM »
Same place, they're connected.

You'll have to walk a little bit, there's nothing on that part of downtown. Closest good places is Delano BBQ, on the other side of the river and Avi like a block away. All of the other places are on the other side of downtown.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 07, 2022, 11:51:49 AM »
Head across the river on Douglas; The Monarch is OK, Picasso's Pizza is really good, Ruben's was good the last time I went but it has been awhile.  TJ's Burger House is supposed to be amazing but I have never been.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 07, 2022, 12:00:37 PM »
Lots of good places in Delano (by the ballpark). Plenty of options in Old Town. If you’re willing to drive a bit (a scooter will get you there also), Clifton Square in College Hill is great. Ziggy’s Pizza has a great atmosphere and patio. Kind of a Rock-a-belly vibe. There is a Dempsey’s Burger joint there as well.

All the other good places are either clear out west or in the northeast with a more suburban feel.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 08, 2022, 09:36:25 AM »
hyatt

Restaurants within walking distance: AVI, Sienna, Yokohama, Monarch, La Galette.

Bars within walking distance: Monarch, Vagabond, Picasso's pizza, Shamrock Lounge, Vorshay's, Rain.  AVI and Sienna have bars but are pretty quiet. 

Or call me and I'll pick you up. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: September 08, 2022, 09:57:22 AM »
Went to Monarch.  Was decent.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 08, 2022, 09:57:58 AM »
hyatt

Restaurants within walking distance: AVI, Sienna, Yokohama, Monarch, La Galette.

Bars within walking distance: Monarch, Vagabond, Picasso's pizza, Shamrock Lounge, Vorshay's, Rain.  AVI and Sienna have bars but are pretty quiet. 

Or call me and I'll pick you up.
If this was 24 hrs ago would have been good. But I had a solid night.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 08, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »
The conference center is currently playing Neil Young’s ‘Southern Man’ as lobby music

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 08, 2022, 10:09:44 AM »
Went to Monarch.  Was decent.
Told ya.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 24, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »
I was watching the KU/Baylor game last night and they showed Chip and Joanna Gaines several times and, knowing that Joanna was originally from KS i was thinking "hmmm i wonder if she's there as a ku fan" so i looked it up and turns out no, she went to and graduated from Baylor, BUT she is from Wichita. Didn't know that! Also her dad is a Stevens. For those not from Wichita there is like a group of Lebanese families that like, basically own that town. The Stevens own Spangles for example. But basically if your last name is Farha or Cholmia or Stevens or Jabarra then good chance you're not more distant than 2nd cousins from one of those very wealthy families.
So yeah, Joanna Gaines. Native Wichitan, probably like 2nd cousins with Rene Stevens, who knew? (not me, until yesterday)

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 24, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »
This post just gave me a flashback to those Jabara's Carpet Outlet commercials growing up.  The ones with lyrics, I don't think their commercials have had singing in them for a long time.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 24, 2023, 10:51:31 AM »
This post just gave me a flashback to those Jabara's Carpet Outlet commercials growing up.  The ones with lyrics, I don't think their commercials have had singing in them for a long time.

i cannot remember the full ditty i just remember the "at jabarra's car-pet out-lettttttttttt"

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 24, 2023, 11:02:22 AM »

i cannot remember the full ditty i just remember the "at jabarra's car-pet out-lettttttttttt"

Yeah I think you successfully captured the epic soaring last line.  Here's my memory of the whole final verse, other Wichita area Cats are welcome to weigh in.

Every daaaaaaay
is a savings day
At Jabara's Carpet
Out-LEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 24, 2023, 11:57:35 AM »

Yeah I think you successfully captured the epic soaring last line.  Here's my memory of the whole final verse, other Wichita area Cats are welcome to weigh in.

Every daaaaaaay
is a savings day
At Jabara's Carpet
Out-LEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT

all time local jingle that doesn't suck
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 24, 2023, 12:01:53 PM »
I was watching the KU/Baylor game last night and they showed Chip and Joanna Gaines several times and, knowing that Joanna was originally from KS i was thinking "hmmm i wonder if she's there as a ku fan" so i looked it up and turns out no, she went to and graduated from Baylor, BUT she is from Wichita. Didn't know that! Also her dad is a Stevens. For those not from Wichita there is like a group of Lebanese families that like, basically own that town. The Stevens own Spangles for example. But basically if your last name is Farha or Cholmia or Stevens or Jabarra then good chance you're not more distant than 2nd cousins from one of those very wealthy families.
So yeah, Joanna Gaines. Native Wichitan, probably like 2nd cousins with Rene Stevens, who knew? (not me, until yesterday)

Minor nitpick but it's Steven, not Stevens, never plural.

Also, while sorta ish true for how much those families own, not seeing the giant elephant that is the Koch's of who runs the town is tisk tisk
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 24, 2023, 02:45:33 PM »

Every daaaaaaay
is a savings day
At Jabara's Carpet
Out-LEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT

hell yeah. the soundtrack of my childhood

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 24, 2023, 02:48:27 PM »
Related question: Who allowed Rene Steven to voice her own Spangles commercials? Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Lebanese restaurants are one of the few things I miss about living in Wichita. So good.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 24, 2023, 02:48:48 PM »

Minor nitpick but it's Steven, not Stevens, never plural.

Also, while sorta ish true for how much those families own, not seeing the giant elephant that is the Koch's of who runs the town is tisk tisk

Yes the Koch family is the most wealthy sure, but as a wichitan you don't really see that fingerprint unless you or a family member work at koch industries. But if you want to go get fast food or buy a car or join a gym or go to an optomitrist or dentist or have cosmetic surgery then there's a good chance you're having an interaction with one of those families. So yes while all of them combined still would only have a fraction of the money that Koch as, they are more a part of the average citizen's everyday life.

Also BrockLanders YESSSSSSSS that is 100% CORRECT AND I AM HAVING SERIOUS FLASHBACKS NOW! MEMORIES: UNLOCKED

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 24, 2023, 02:50:43 PM »

Every daaaaaaay
is a savings day
you can shoppppppp the savings way
At Jabara's Carpet
Out-LEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT

extended edition i believe has the bold part

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: January 24, 2023, 02:53:49 PM »

Every daaaaaaay
is a savings day
At Jabara's Carpet
Out-LEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT

i'm sure i've mentioned this before, but i have no idea what the words are to Auld Lang Syne. but even if i try i can never forget:
let allllll credit problems beeee forgot
re-e-gardless of past history
like reeeee-possessions, fore-closures
e-e-eeeeven bankrupcyyyyyyyy

Online GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 24, 2023, 03:09:36 PM »

Every daaaaaaay
is a savings day
At Jabara's Carpet
Out-LEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT

i'm sure i've mentioned this before, but i have no idea what the words are to Auld Lang Syne. but even if i try i can never forget:
let allllll credit problems beeee forgot
re-e-gardless of past history
like reeeee-possessions, fore-closures
e-e-eeeeven bankrupcyyyyyyyy
How do you do former fellow Wichitans?
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 24, 2023, 03:17:33 PM »
greg on a scale from K96 to I235, I'm at about a Kellogg and Rock.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 24, 2023, 03:25:19 PM »
Didn't grow up in the 316 but I grew up in the Wichita media market and those Jabara's Carpet Outlet commercials are great memories. I always imagined Jabara's being some amazing place, then when I moved to Wichita and saw the building and neighborhood, I was all :horrorsurprise: how did white people ever go there and get carpets?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 25, 2023, 07:45:43 PM »