Author Topic: Official "How are our recruits/commits doing?" thread  (Read 89492 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official "How are our recruits/commits doing?" thread
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
Kinda takes the fun out of arguments like this.

it really does.

Yep. 

I've moved away from "coach knows best, so let's trust him" type posts.  I used to make them myself, but good criticism is what makes message boarding fun a lot of the time.  The problem is most fans wouldn't know a good critique if it hit them in the face much of the time.  But that's part of the fun of it too I suppose.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
Kinda takes the fun out of arguments like this.

it really does.

is Frank ruining bbsing for everyone.  maybe Currie is in the right?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
sys just tries really hard to be a contrarian - he completely ignored what I said.  Pullen has developed into a nice shooter, but hasn't been above average until this season., but Clemente is about average for his position.  McGruder has been a nice surprise, but he definitely had more of a rep as a slasher w/ a below average jump shot.

Nick Russell is at 18.8%, Martavious Irving is at 28.6%.  If those are decent, well, I guess we agree that Martin places a high value on decent shooting.

bullshit.  pullen and clemente are going to each have over 200 attempts from 3.  that means they're shooters, %s be damned.  mcgruder is a 2-3, emphasis on 3.  my thesis is that martin values shooting for 1s and combos (or true 2s if he were ever to recruit one, which he won't), not in 3s and 4s.  so, irrelevant.

russell and irving's %s are statistically meaningless, especially russell's.  which you are certainly aware of.  but yeah, if your argument is that he only takes guys that are likely to hit 40%+, then i agree with you.  that isn't what i thought your argument, as expressed here, was.

meh, semantics.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »
meh, semantics.

you and _fan are very funny.   :blank:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
I'd say Fred Brown wouldn't have been recruited if not for his 40% plus shooting.   

And yet it didn't save him from being pushed out

True.  But niether did Buchi's explosive leaping ability...and it's not like Energy is athletic.  The true issue that created the "Frank hates shooters" myth (aside from Rusty's influence) is the only quality that Frank displays that is "high school coachish": his annoying habit of playing "hard workers" over talent in the role player minutes.  But how do you argue with results?  If Judge and McGruder got all CM and Colons minutes would we be better?  It would seem so logically, but he's pretty much exceeded anyones expectations with an IQ over 80.  Kinda takes the fun out of arguements like this.
i think with Buchi it was his voice

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »
6A Semi-Final Game. Dr. Phillips 50 Dr. Krop 42, Shane Larkin & Pat Ryan led Dr.Phillips w/15pts, Angel Rodriguez led Krop w/23pts.

:frown:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2010, 07:14:09 AM »
6A Semi-Final Game. Dr. Phillips 50 Dr. Krop 42, Shane Larkin & Pat Ryan led Dr.Phillips w/15pts, Angel Rodriguez led Krop w/23pts.

:frown:

Would love to see the video of him and Larkin matched up

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2010, 11:43:52 PM »
Sprads scored 20 tonight in another substate win over Free State

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
http://breakdownmagazine.com/discus/messages/11/1455.html?1267969178

a little discussion of how the refs stole the game from rodriguez tricoche.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »
Rodriguez was not called for one offensive foul when he had his hand and arm extended, clearing his way to the basket. I sat by four officials who were absolutely incredulous.

Will be great when Angel drives all Nortard fans crazy with the above, just like Clemente has - this could be an actual quote from HHC.com in a couple years

:bball:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:52:05 AM by steve dave »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2010, 07:58:08 AM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/09/1801492/leavenworths-williams-found-a.html

He still leads the team in fouls
:love:

Hopefully lots of double fouls and technicals are included.  For JunkYard Cat-ish stuff.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »
any thoughts/hints on where he's going to prep?

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
call_me_WALLACE

Also KSU 2011 commit Nino Williams had 18 pts & key defensive stop late to help Leavenworth advance to semis vs Perry Ellis tonight at 8:15

:)

Offline Arthur Carlson

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
Nino Williams with 29 in the loss to Perry Ellis & Wichita Heights.

EMPORIA — For the better part of Friday's Class 6A boys state semifinal, Leavenworth's Nino Williams put on a show.

He scored inside. He scored outside. He scored 29 points.

But when he fouled out with 4:37 left in the game, Leavenworth's hopes of upsetting defending 6A champion Wichita Heights went with him.

Heights led just 64-60 when Williams, a Kansas State signee picked up his fifth foul 90 feet from the basket and the Falcons went on to claim an 83-78 victory.

The win puts the Falcons (22-2) back in the title game for the second straight year where they will face Blue Valley Northwest (17-7), a 69-63 winner over rival Blue Valley North.

"Wow, that kid was unbelievable, and that team would not go away," Heights coach Joe Auer said of Williams and the Pioneers. "What a great contest between two very good teams ... It took absolutely every ounce of energy and playmaking that we had tonight."

Williams turned the White Auditorium floor into his personal playground. He scored 12 points in the first quarter alone and 17 in the opening half. When Heights started to pull away in the third quarter, hitting the Pioneers with a 13-4 run after Dreamius Smith's buzzer-beating 3-pointer tied it 39-39 at halftime, Williams brought them back with 12 straight points. The last of those was a free throw that cut the Pioneer deficit to 61-60 with 5:22 to play.

But Heights' Eric Dobbins answered with a 3-pointer and then Williams fouled out after missing a shot. And with that, the Pioneers' upset bid was over.

Smith and sophomore standout Perry Ellis each scored 23 points to lead Heights, while Smith added 21 points and Evan Wessel had 15. Williams finished 10 of 17 from the floor, hit four 3-pointers and made 5 of 8 free throws for his 29 points and Kyle Wiggins added 19 for Leavenworth.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »
Kansas Boys Super Six
Perry Ellis, Wichita Heights 6-8 So. 22.2
Trevor Releford, Bishop Miege 6-0 Sr. 18.2
Will Spradling, Shawnee Mission South 6-2 Sr. 20.1
Nino Williams, Leavenworth 6-5 Sr. 24.0
Reese Holliday, Kansas City-Sumner Academy 6-3 Sr. 23.8
Christian Ulsaker, McPherson 6-5 Jr. 19.8

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2010, 10:16:23 PM »
gpc posters who saw the mo-ks all star game commented favorably on williams.  call him either the best or 2nd best (behind releford) looking prospect in the game.

from the star, releford and spradling sound adorable.

Kansas stars sweep Missouri at High School All-Star Challenge

By CANDACE BUCKNER

During the Hy-Vee/Pepsi High School All-Star Challenge on Saturday afternoon, some of the top senior basketball players around the city showcased their skills on the Independence Events Center hardwood. Although several of the players on the girls’ and boys’ rosters have won high school championships and have lined up basketball scholarships, the Sunflower State teams had the edge.

In the girls’ game, Janna Graf (Shawnee Mission East) scored 25 points, leading Kansas to a 93-90 win over Missouri. Later in the boys’ game, Kansas pulled away by running with the point guard pairing of Trevor Releford (Bishop Miege) and Will Spradling (Shawnee Mission South) and won 115-104 in front of 1,581 fans.

“We had to win,” Releford said. “We couldn’t let them get everything.”

Missouri had taken the halftime slam dunk contest ? Hogan Prep’s Dawon Cummings ? the previously announced DiRenna Award ? Northeast’s Daylen Robinson ? and even owned quite a winning streak in this game. Kansas coaches did not know for sure, but told their players that Missouri had won the last eight straight All-Star games. That was enough motivation to snap the streak for Releford, who scored 18 points.

Releford confessed that he was wiped out at the beginning of the game ? he had to take the ACT before coming to the arena ? but showed life in the final quarter alongside Spradling. The two have played together since the sixth grade.

“We knew where each other was (going to be) just from playing together,” said Spradling, who scored a game-high 21 points. “Lately, we’ve just been working out together.”

The two Division I-bound point guards split time at the lead position. Early in the fourth quarter, Spradling, who’s going to Kansas State, dribbled up court and found Releford open for a three-pointer that gave Kansas an 88-77 lead. During another possession, Releford, who has signed with Alabama, drove baseline and tagged a pass for Spradling, who was waiting beyond the arc for another three.

Cummings scored 19 for Missouri, followed by Lee’s Summit North point guard B.J. Dunbar and Rockhurst’s Dexter McDonald, who both had 15.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
from the scout teaser on the tournament down in texas.  i think i saw that mokan won, but not positive what age level it was.

The second day of the Next Level Nationals event proved to be a good one. Nino Williams, Keith Frazier and Antawn Space were among the standouts.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=965795&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f965795.html

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »
from the scout teaser on the tournament down in texas.  i think i saw that mokan won, but not positive what age level it was.

The second day of the Next Level Nationals event proved to be a good one. Nino Williams, Keith Frazier and Antawn Space were among the standouts.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=965795&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f965795.html

nino looked good.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54:01 AM »

nino looked good.
What will be his new rivals rating?
EMAW

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »
n e 1 going to get pics of these guys puking on day 1 with Greeny?   :barf:

They show up on campus in what 2-3 weeks? 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »
Well, I figured this was as good a place to post this, so here are my thougths from catching some of the action at the KC Classic the past couple days, I tried to organize the player profiles by their respective teams.

Spiece MoKan
Nino Williams 6'5" 190 SF Class of '11(maybe '10?) KSU commit
I don't think it's a stretch to say he was the best player at the tourney. Best prospect? now that's debatable but there's no question Nino brings it with effort and intensity every time he steps on the floor. Really excels at finishing in transition, had a couple monster dunks on the break where it was best for all involved to just get out of his way. Also a very strong finisher amongst contact in a half-court set, just has a real knack for putting the ball in the bucket when he's in the paint. Jump shot from deep looks good, knocking it down with consistency, I'd say he's hit 35-40% from 3 so far this weekend. Doesn't not attack much off the dribble in the halfcourt, could probably stand to improve his handle which would allow him to be more aggressive off the bounce and use his strength and athleticism to attack the rim.

David Kravish 6'9" 200 PF Class of '11 - Lee's Summit, MO
In the Friday night update on the tourney, Bossi mentioned that we've been in contact with this kid. He looks to be a legit 6'9" and moves really well for a kid that size. Definitely needs to put on muscle mass to be a B12 type player, but fights hard on the glass and showed some good offensive awareness in the paint with nice passing and touch on his shots.

Clint McCullough 6'6" 180 Combo Forward Class of '12 - Stillwell, KS
Plays a class up with the MoKan 17's, has decent passing and handling skills for a kid that size, has a slightly unorthodox release on his jump shot(releases from his chest) but still knocks it down with a fair amount of consistency from the mid-range. In his last game of the day, had one really nice take off the dribble that started about 40 feet out that he finished off with a 14 ft jumper.Had some inconsistency finishing in the paint but I think that's to be expected to some extent playing up a class like he was. Still fights hard though when physically overamteched in the post.

Willie Cauley 6'10" 210(I'm guessing on the weight)
PF-C Class of '12 - Spearville, KS
Looks to be every bit of 6'10", extremely long arms, and moves very well for his size. Very active in the paint on the defensive end, is a nightmare to try to shoot over anywhere within 6-7 ft of the rim. Also really goes and gets rebounds. Offensively, doesn't have a bad feel for the game but really displayed no post moves at all. He will catch the ball in the post with a 6'5" kid guarding him and will still not make an offensive move, he will just pass the ball back out, just painfully obvious he has no confidence in his back to the basket game. Basically at this point, the only ways he are scoring are if he is setup with an open dunk or on putbacks. Still a tremendous prospect right now due to his combination of size, athleticism, and defensive presence.

The Life - Houston
Isiah Jones 6'2" 170 combo G - Originally from Chicago but has moved to Houston to attend Christian Life Academy
Blessed with the best nickname I've heard in a long time, "Hoopy" started out the tourney with a bang on Friday night. I was mostly paying attention to the MoKan-Athletes First game being played at the same time and I didn't catch more than 10 minutes of the 2nd half of The Life's game against Martin Bros, but in that time, I saw Jones drill 4 3's, 1 being the go ahead bucket with about 1 min left and nail 2 game clinching FT's in the closing seconds. My interest was piqued and I made a point to watch Jones this morning againdt Athletes First. Jones started right where he left off the night before and drilled 3 3's in the 1st half on his way to 16 pts by half. Then, early in the 2nd, he took an ill-advised 3 from deep when the game was starting to get away from his team and his coach sat him down for a long stretch. He came back in the game with about 7 mins to go but never regained his touch, going about 0-6 from distance the remainder of the game and not scoring another point. In his last game of pool play agasinst MoKan, he continued to struggle with his outside shot, but should be commended for attacking off the dribble and knocking down a couple nice floaters in the lane. I'd be really interested to know if he's always that streaky of a shooter or not, because he has a really smooth shot and when he gets it going it's a lot of fun to watch.

Chris Coleman 6'9" 260 C Class of '11 - Humble, TX
Just an absolute load on the block, needs to improve his consistency in finishing when he gets the ball in the paint. Did do a good job of knocking down FT's when fouled. Moves fairly well for his size, just really tough to manuever around him when he gets anchored in the paint. With improved touch and skill level in the paint, could be a real force in college hoops in a couple years.

Team Texas
Thomas Gipson 6'7" 240 Class of '11 PF - Cedar Hill, TX
I know Rivals lists him at 255, but he just didn't look THAT big to me. Don't get me wrong, definitely has the body for DI ball right now. The left-hander really favors going to his left in the post, in the game I watched him play today, he did have a couple strong finishes in the paint going to that left hand. Would like to see him develop a counter move to his left hand to keep the D off the balance. Also knocked down about 16 ft jumper in the game I saw. Granted, it was early and it was only that game but I would have liked to have seen him be more aggressive and throw his weight and strength around more than he did. Had a couple of physical boards but he did not dominate the glass like I think he could have.

Jamal Branch 6'3" 170 Class of '11 - Arlington, TX
The highest rated prospect in the Class of '11 at the KC Classic, the Texas A&M commit loves to attack off the dribble and then once he has his defender back on his heels, he'll step back and shoot the 3. He can pretty much create his own shot(or 1 for a teammate)anytime he wants due to his elite handle and athleticism. Only problem his, he was having trouble knocking down those shots throughout the majority of his team's game against Kingdom Hoops today. He did start to get things going late, knocking down some nice floaters and 2 3's in the final minute, but that wasn't enough as Team Texas lost to a scrappy but less-talented Kingdom Hoops.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
the sound you hear is our beat writers hanging their heads in shame.  or it least it would be if they had an ounce of self-respect to share amongst them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »
Great work underdog wildcat

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile