Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1351709 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #575 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Good trip plan Chodo. Did the same when I was a in middle school, don't remember much details other than it being pretty, driving for hours, stopping at scenic overlooks. Bed and Breakfast's rule too.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 22, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
SD when is your next trip to Vegas? Look's like I'll be there the weekend of June 22nd-24th.

November.  Weekend of the Baylor Game.
I haven't been there since I was 21. So about 6 years. I might need some pro tips when the time arrives.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 22, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
Wife and I are headed to Ireland for a week, this September. With that amount of time, I've found most travel sites suggest to travel the southern/western part of Ireland with a rental car. This will give you a good introduction to the island with a variety of scenery and towns. My tentative schedule is to spend 2 nights in Dublin, 1 night in Kilkenny, 1 night in Kenmare, 1 night in Ballyvaughan, and 1 night in Shannon, in that order.

We're flying into Manchester (UK) on Friday (Sept 7th) for a friends wedding that weekend, but then taking a ferry to Dublin on Monday, then going from there. Flying back to the states from Shannon, on the west side of Ireland on Sunday.

There are a shitload of B&B's at all of these towns, most less than $100/night and nice choices (it seems). We'd like to stay in a castle one night, but most are 5* and cost more than $1,000/night, or only have weekly rates. We'd maybe spend up to $300 for a night in a castle, but it would have to be really sweet. There are tons of things to stop and see along the way between all towns; castles, caves, cliffs, parks, etc.

Anyone been to this area that could provide some guidance? Things to do and places to see in Dublin? B&B's to stay/avoid at any of these towns? Castles to see or possibly stay at? Other scenery along the way to see/avoid? Pubs to drink at, restuarants to go to, etc? We'd like to get as much as the local feel as possible and we both enjoy drinking heavily.

Any help would be appreciated. My research has been overwhelming so far.

If you want the west coast, why are you ignoring Galway? Galway is great. Also obviously the cliffs of Moher.
Plus my family pretty much runs that show so if you have any q's let me know.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #578 on: May 22, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
Good to know.  :lol: @ the thought of carrying luggage on subways.

I see people w/ luggage every day on BART.

I'm not saying people don't do it, I'm saying  :lol: at people who do. Get a cab you cheap ass.

If the time is comparable, (which it usually is if you're in a city where it doesn't make sense to rent a car),  I would almost always prefer transit. Cabs are smelly and gross and awkward more than they are overpriced. (Cabs in NYC are surprisingly affordable)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #579 on: May 22, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
Neat, I'll find a place to stay in Manhattan.  That way we can get all the times square out of her on the first day.

fly into LaGuardia
Thank you, PC.  I will take your advice and do exactly that.

fly into whichever one of Laguardia, Newark or JFK has the better flight.  It's all the same other than the view from the cab or if you have a long layover.  post the hotel you are thinking of staying at and I will review it based on various factors.

LaGuardia is a $20 cab ride to most of Manhattan, very close, however no subway access. You can take the subway from JFK to Manhattan. Newark is lol, no, don't do that.

Good to know.  :lol: @ the thought of carrying luggage on subways.

There is no reason you can't bring a weekend's worth of luggage on the subway.  :dunno:

There's always luggage people in dc. Just stand on the rough ridin' right and it is no big deal.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 23, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »
SD when is your next trip to Vegas? Look's like I'll be there the weekend of June 22nd-24th.

November.  Weekend of the Baylor Game.
I haven't been there since I was 21. So about 6 years. I might need some pro tips when the time arrives.

Luckily there is an entire thread dedicated to pro tips about vegas :horrorsurprise:

Offline ChodoCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 23, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
If you want the west coast, why are you ignoring Galway? Galway is great. Also obviously the cliffs of Moher.

Didn't have enough days basically and we're flying out of Shannon, so we didn't want to have to go that far north then back track down to Shannon. I'm considering that we skip the dip down south to Kenmare (from Kilkenny about 3 hour drive) and go westerly from Kilkenny to Ballyvaghan (which is walking distance from the Cliffs of Moher maybe?). Maybe stay a night in Ballyvaghan or Doolin or Lisdoonvarna, a night in Galway, then head back down for a night in Shannon before we fly out, since our flight is at 7:00am.

I built the itinerary loosely around this: http://irishfireside.com/2009/10/20/a-beginners-guide-to-planning-an-ireland-itinerary/

What would you recommend in Galway specifically?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:17:56 AM by ChodoCat »

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 23, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
Neat, I'll find a place to stay in Manhattan.  That way we can get all the times square out of her on the first day.

fly into LaGuardia
Thank you, PC.  I will take your advice and do exactly that.

fly into whichever one of Laguardia, Newark or JFK has the better flight.  It's all the same other than the view from the cab or if you have a long layover.  post the hotel you are thinking of staying at and I will review it based on various factors.

LaGuardia is a $20 cab ride to most of Manhattan, very close, however no subway access. You can take the subway from JFK to Manhattan. Newark is lol, no, don't do that.
There's a train right from Newark to Penn station that takes like 30 minutes so NBD.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 25, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »
Happy "unofficial start to summer weekend" :excited: time to hit the beach.  Dr. Beach with his 2012 top 10 list :thumbsup: for #6
http://www.drbeach.org/top10beaches.html

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 25, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
Happy "unofficial start to summer weekend" :excited: time to hit the beach.  Dr. Beach with his 2012 top 10 list :thumbsup: for #6
http://www.drbeach.org/top10beaches.html

I would think beaches wouldn't change so much as to there being no repeat winners.  I really question the validity of this guys PHD in beaches.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 25, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »
The top 50 or so beaches in the US are in Hawaii

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 25, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »

You need to go to Puerto Rico bruh.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 25, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
 :drool:

Hawaii's beaches are very meh compared to the Caribbean and Mexico.  Sorry man.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »

You need to go to Puerto Rico bruh.
Maybe SD has been kidnapped by a GPCer? You know, Peurto Rico is not in the US.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #589 on: May 25, 2012, 11:51:33 AM »

A lot of this board needs to take remedial geography again

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 25, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »
never been to hawaii b/c sharks/etc but i love the so cal beaches over anything the east coast tries to present to us as decent

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »

A lot of this board needs to take remedial geography again

KC has also been kidnapped by GPCer's? Conspiracy.

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 25, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
Booking my tickets this weekend to Split, Crotia for the weekend of the 4th/5th of June (4 day weekend in the UK due to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee) :emawkid:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #593 on: May 26, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
Last time I travel without consulting goEMAW first. Kc Sheraton crown center is a disgusting construction site filled with Klingons.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 27, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
ETP euro trip a success. Full report with Ireland, London and Paris deets forthcoming.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 27, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »
ETP euro trip a success. Full report with Ireland, London and Paris deets forthcoming.

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:46 AM »
:thumbs:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 29, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
Ireland had elite scenery, great pubs, mediocre food. Stayed in Dublin, Galway and Dingle for six days total. Probably consumed about 30 Guinessess and 20 Smithwick's. Did all the touristy stuffs during the day and basically sat in a different pub every night listening to music, drinking and talking with the locals.

Flew to London on BMI for 39 pounds each and checked baggage for free. :gocho: London was by far my favorite city. Stayed just north of Hyde Park and did all the touristy stuff except for the Eye. Westminster Abbey was probably the coolest thing I saw there.

Took the Eurostar from London St. Pancras to Nord in Paris. Elite trip, sat first class and the trains go fast as crap. Stayed just off the Eiffel Tower and probably walked about 12 miles all around the city the first day there. Did the Louvre, Arc de Triumph, Notre Dame, etc... Eiffel Tower line was way too long.

Flew back on  :AA: and took an elite picture I'll post later of MHK just absolutely showing off.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 29, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
sounds great ETP.  post all you best tips please.  feel free to PM secret tips/pics as needed. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 29, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
sounds great ETP.  post all you best tips please.  feel free to PM secret tips/pics as needed.

Where are you going/staying again?