Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1349775 times)

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #14875 on: June 20, 2022, 10:29:01 AM »
is that the seine?
Yeah, the significant other only has 1 day to spend sight seeing, so we’re doing super tourist people stuff today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: June 20, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »

it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: June 20, 2022, 10:33:50 AM »
Vegas!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14878 on: June 20, 2022, 10:39:42 AM »
Vegas!

Covid and other bugs are going around like mad rn w/ the WSOP in town.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: June 20, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »
congrats wiley, paris rules. go nuts

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14880 on: June 20, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
Le Garage

:love: Amphricar :love:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14881 on: June 20, 2022, 11:34:29 AM »
Seine it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: June 20, 2022, 11:34:40 AM »
i stayed a week on the riviera maya and it completely ruled. it was my first time in mexico.

- stayed at valentin imperial riviera maya which has got to be the nicest AI resort in the area. i know what you're saying, mocat this was your first time in MX how can you say that? i'm just telling you it was over the top, like you had to wear pants to go to any of the dinner restaurants. there are 11 bars on the property. the breakfast/lunch buffet room i believe was larger than my house. made to order omelettes / tacos / fresh churros, whatever you can imagine. one night i was kind of wandering around avoiding some rain and opened a door and there was a cirque de soleil circus thing going on in a theater i didn't know existed. at the party pool there was club music accompanied by a live saxophonist. there appeared to be several thousand employees, all wearing masks 100% of the time. i ate ceviche at least once every day, grilled octopus, sushi, tilapia, filet mignon, the works. the beach had no rocks and hardly any seaweed. i can't recommend this place enough. it was elite to the max.
- we booked through a travel agent (?!?) so we got a chartered nonstop from MCI to CUN on volaris / viva aerobus
- chichen itza is wild. i kind of was expecting just the main pyramid or whatever but there are a lot of buildings and cenotes and whatnot. i did not expect the giant stadium thing. there are 1200 vendors of trash souvenirs all over the place which kinda sucks but whatever. our tour guide was great but then when talking about mayan human sacrifice, he abruptly mentioned people in current times bathe in the blood of infants for adrenochrome, etc., i mean full Q. also said princess Diana was murdered by the royal family. was wild.
- swam in a cenote. completely badass. there are irl thousands to choose from and i'm sure they're all the same but it was v cool
- took a boat to isla mujeres, snorkeled and saw some of the underwater museum of sculptures. the beach at playa norte on isla mujeres is lol nice. rented bicycles and did a 10 mile loop of the island.

i know a lot of people on this board have been to cancun / playa but you have undersold it or i did not read your posts. 7/7 would recommend all of the above

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14883 on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:37 AM »
anyone have recommendos on where to spend time in oregon?  have a bit of time in bend planned, looking for another couple of spots.
Crater lake is pretty cool to see in person. Also quite a few treehouse spots to stay near bend. Fun for a day or two

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: June 20, 2022, 11:37:46 AM »
Mocat, you left out an important detail. How many jellyfish were there?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14885 on: June 20, 2022, 11:39:54 AM »
Mocat, you left out an important detail. How many jellyfish were there?

i saw 0 jellyfish, but one thing i forgot to mention that is somewhat related and kind of sucks is that there are crap loads of trashy salt life (TM) maga type folks everywhere you go in that part of MX

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14886 on: June 20, 2022, 05:13:36 PM »
anyone have recommendos on where to spend time in oregon?  have a bit of time in bend planned, looking for another couple of spots.
Crater lake is pretty cool to see in person. Also quite a few treehouse spots to stay near bend. Fun for a day or two

i'm kinda down on crater lake.  we went there maybe three years ago and the surrounding area was on fire and it was all smokey.  we just kinda looked at the lake and left.

it's probably better when it's not burning, but i dunno, probably not going back right away.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: June 20, 2022, 05:14:20 PM »
God’s bridge and the main waterfall

eh, maybe if we're driving by anyways.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14888 on: June 20, 2022, 05:16:16 PM »
Go to the Pine Mountain Observatory!

appears to only be open on weekends, but otherwise i'd probably take this suggesto.  looks pretty cool.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: June 20, 2022, 05:17:14 PM »
Have some kids and take them to tide pools.

yeah, childless oregon sounds absolutely miserable. it's a state for families ONLY. breed or GTFO.

we'll have a dog with us.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: June 20, 2022, 05:18:36 PM »
The coast.

cannon beach like the goonies

anywhere in particular?  cannon beach looks pretty crowded.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: June 20, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »
The coast.

The goonies house is in Astoria.  If you like beer, they have some awesome breweries (Fort George and Buoy).  Other good coastal towns are Pacific City, Manzanita, and Rockaway beach.  Another really good spot non coastal spot to check out is Hood River.  Cool town right on the Columbia with good restaurants and breweries as well.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14892 on: June 20, 2022, 06:00:22 PM »
I've driven through Astoria on the way to or back from, never stopped for more than a beer and lunch.  It's more on the river than the ocean.

I don't know that you'd like it because tourists, but I go to Seaside often.  There's a pretty basic hotel I like with a patio right on the beach, which is great for dogs and running and sitting and drinking.  And there's a decent amount of dog-friendly places throughout the town.  Kind of on the way out of town to the south is a little restaurant called Ruby's that loves dogs.

I haven't stayed there, but Cannon Beach is chiller/classier Seaside from what I've gathered. 

I did a night in Yachats at Fireside Motel, another place that caters to dogs.  It was mainly a break in driving between Seaside and the next stop near the CA border.  It was pretty nice, more of ocean observing than beach.  The hotel was a bit outside the main part of town so not great for pak'n.

Last Oregon stop was just north of Brookings within the Samuel H Boardman corridor.  Stayed here a couple nights - https://www.whalesheadresort.com/ - it's an old trailer park where owners have bonkers manufactured homes that qualify as trailers for tax purposes and rent them out through this resort.  This is the specific one I stayed in: http://whalesheadbeachresort.com/ but looks like they no longer allow dogs.  There's a tunnel that runs from the resort under the highway and to the beach, but it's also super easy to drive or walk up and down the corridor to different areas.

All that said, if you're not on a set schedule and can be on 101, you'd be in fine shape winging it and stopping off at places that look interesting and staying if they're great.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14893 on: June 20, 2022, 06:30:09 PM »

Oui oui mon ami
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: June 20, 2022, 07:36:04 PM »
The coast.

Oregon coast is so freaking beautiful. I highly recommend going to Hug Point State Park at low tide ( a few miles south of Cannon Beach and less crowded). Ecola State Park is great also. Visit the Tilamook Creamery awesome ice cream. Go look at the mouth of the Columbia at Ft Stevens State Park. Don't go to Multnomah Falls on the weekends. That place is like an anthill.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #14895 on: June 20, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »
Yachats is our go-to on the coast. Uncrowded beaches north of town up to Waldport, good place to let the dogs run. Nice hiking just south at Cape Perpetua. We've stayed at Deanes a few times, motel from the 1950s but clean and easy beach access.

Lived here for 8 years and never been, maybe should do that.

God’s bridge and the main waterfall

eh, maybe if we're driving by anyways.

Yeah, see Tumalo falls in Bend, or stop at Salt Creek falls on the way to Eugene on highway 58, via cascade lakes highway. Or go through Sisters over the McKenzie pass scenic highway which just opened for the season today. The hike to Proxy falls is short and worth the stop.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 07:50:04 PM by Catchacold »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14896 on: June 20, 2022, 10:51:57 PM »
Wine country around McMinnville outside of Portland is very pretty and they have lots of wineries if that is your jam.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14897 on: June 22, 2022, 12:18:21 PM »
Park City was great.  The City has free buses that run you around from resort area to resort area and to Main Street.  Only used Lyft a few times to go to places the buses didn't run to.  The bobsled at Olympic Park was awesome and we got to see people practicing X Games ski stuff into the pool.  Evidently we just missed the Ukrainian Olympic team practicing by a few hours.

Went to a few places on Main Street for food and drinks and didn't have a bad experience anywhere.  Liquor laws are kind of odd though.  You can't order doubles and a lot of the beer is served in cans to get around "tap laws" I guess.  My pro tip for booze drinks back at the hotel is to stop at one of the state run liquor stores and grab a bottle for mixing your own cocktail for hot tub time.

For hiking, we stayed pretty close to the resort areas.  There were tons of trails and we got a pretty good workout.  The first day we hiked up the mountain from Canyons Village to above the Red Pine Gondola and with luck we were able to catch a ride back down in it as the wind had everything pretty jacked up as far as lifts go.  The last day we were there, we rode a couple of lifts up from Park Mountain and checked out a couple of old mines and a lodge that they moved up the mountain from its original location maybe in the 60s or 70s.

It was pretty warm the first few days but snowed a little on the morning of our last full day in town.  Pretty cool area and would definitely visit again.
@mikec2w

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14898 on: June 22, 2022, 12:23:47 PM »

appears to only be open on weekends, but otherwise i'd probably take this suggesto.  looks pretty cool.

Pretty sure you can just park at a campground and walk around any time, you just don't get to look through a telescope. We went in 2020 when everything was closed and just looked with our eyes and it's still pretty mindblowing. Bring a red light so you don't piss off sky photographers.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14899 on: June 22, 2022, 04:02:07 PM »
I believe steve dave mentioned one time SWA pilots sometimes just straight up cut in front of other planes in the landing pattern to meet on time % or whatever, so this tracks

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1539350960589373440?t=VhWzSeKa__oY7d_hP8YzKA&s=19