Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1347774 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #14850 on: June 14, 2022, 07:33:59 PM »
Heading to Park City, UT this weekend to find some cooler weather.

Who I almost went there this week too. Might go in fall. Please give detailed report.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14851 on: June 14, 2022, 08:18:01 PM »

Little warm out here Thur/Fri but should be nice for the weekend.  lmk if you need any recommendations.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14852 on: June 14, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »

Little warm out here Thur/Fri but should be nice for the weekend.  lmk if you need any recommendations.

We will be flying in Friday and it is going to be way cooler there than it is here so we'll take it.  Hit me with the places we should eat and have booze drinks.  Also, any recommendos on hiking trails would be cool.  We won't have a car so Uber/Shuttle access will be a consideration.  We are staying at the Waldorf Astoria if that helps. 

:users:
@mikec2w

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14853 on: June 14, 2022, 08:57:38 PM »

We will be flying in Friday and it is going to be way cooler there than it is here so we'll take it.  Hit me with the places we should eat and have booze drinks.  Also, any recommendos on hiking trails would be cool.  We won't have a car so Uber/Shuttle access will be a consideration.  We are staying at the Waldorf Astoria if that helps. 

:users:

Yes tdaver, do all of this please

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14854 on: June 15, 2022, 04:11:53 PM »
This is way too long, but here we go…

XT - The Waldorf is at Canyons Village which is a few miles away from the core Park City restaurants and shops.  Park City does have a good transit system that is free. Get familiar with that.

BOOZE/FOOD
High West Saloon - whiskey, good food too
Silver Star Cafe - great food and patio, usually live music in the evenings
St Regis - ride the funicular up for the evening champagne sabering
Wasatch - just your standard brewpub but good sized patio at the top of Main St for post-hike beer
Alpine Distilling/Pie Bar - haven’t been here yet, but on my todo list
Ritual Chocolate - local bean to bar place, if you prefer truffles then I can hook you up with the best around
Lots of great restaurants on Main St.  Just walk up and down to find something that looks good.

TRAILS
There’s a huge network of trails across the Park City and Deer Valley ski resorts.  Perfect for a walk through the pines/aspens and accessible from town.  I honestly don’t spend much time on that side of the mountain, but this website (https://mountaintrails.org/) has a good interactive map and conditions updates.  Alltrails app is a good source for trail suggestions/details as well.  Generally, I’d say pick a trail from whatever staring point you chose, go up to the Mid-Mountain trail, and follow that to wherever you want to go back down into town.  Or if you take a lift up part way, you could try an upper trail to Shadow Lake or Red Pine Lake.

I prefer the higher elevation trails to lakes and peaks on the other side of the ridge.  Unfortunately most of those are a little farther from PC and may be difficult to get to with out a car.  Might be some shuttle options if you look around.  A few recommendations:

Bloods Lake and Lake Lackawaxen - Popular trail not far from Deer Valley.  There was a transit system shuttle here last summer but not sure if it’s started up yet this year.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/bloods-lake-trail--3
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/lackawaxen-lake-trail

Brighton Lakes - The drive over Guardsman Pass down into Big Cottonwood Canyon is alone worth the time.  There are several lakes above Bright ski resort that you can link together or hike individually.  This is where I usually take visitors for a hike.  Probably still some snow.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/brighton-lakes-loop

Wasatch Crest - If you’re feeling adventurous, this is the iconic mountain bike/trail run route in the area.  Trail follows the ridge separating Park City and Big Cottonwood Canyon for several miles with amazing views.  Then you can either drop into Millcreek Canyon and head back to SLC or you can drop down the Park City side to finish at Canyons Village.  Several shuttle options available to take you to the trailhead at Guardsman Pass.

OTHER STUFF
Olympic Park - Ride the bobsled.  Might see people training on ski jumps or diving at the pool.  Other fun stuff like zip lines, alpine slides, etc.

Concerts - Deer Valley has a fantastic summer concert series at their amphitheater.  Canyons Village has some too.  I think you may be a week early, XT.

Homestead Crater - deep, hot spring pool inside a natural dome

Scenic Drive to Midway/Heber - Do this if you are here in late Sept/early Oct.  Drive up to Empire Pass and then down past Wasatch Mountain State Park into Midway.  The upper part of the drive will be through golden aspens, and it will turn to bright red maples as you get lower.  Eat at Midway Mercantile or Lola’s Street Kitchen.

Uinta Mountains - If you get some extra hot weather during a visit, drive up the Mirror Lake Hwy about an hour east to the Uinta Mountains.  So many little lakes and trails at 10,000+ ft up there.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14855 on: June 15, 2022, 08:59:45 PM »
Thank you for the post.  I greatly appreciate the info and we will put it to good use.  I saw the Bloods Lake trail and it looked really cool.  Just need to figure out how to get over to it from the hotel.
@mikec2w

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14856 on: June 15, 2022, 09:00:51 PM »
Also I might die from being fat and out of shape on the hiking trails, but I'm going to do it anyway.
@mikec2w

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #14857 on: June 15, 2022, 09:19:48 PM »
Park City sounds badass.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14858 on: June 16, 2022, 12:17:08 AM »
I saw the Bloods Lake trail and it looked really cool.  Just need to figure out how to get over to it from the hotel.

Check with one of these guys.  They pick up at Canyons Village where you’re staying and drive right by the Bloods Lake trailhead on their way to the Crest drop off.  They’ll have an empty van on the way down, so maybe they could pick you up on the return of a later drop.
https://bigrackshuttle.com/wasatch-crest-bike-shuttle/
https://foxnroxshuttle.com/

Also I might die from being fat and out of shape on the hiking trails, but I'm going to do it anyway.
:emawkid:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14859 on: June 16, 2022, 03:46:40 AM »
Park City sounds badass.
olathe badass < park city badass

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14860 on: June 16, 2022, 03:32:27 PM »
I am seeing prices fall a lot for 4th of July.

I will also say Delta's website is TERRIBLE. Just booked two flights and didn't get a confirmation for either one. I thought they went through. But did they? I definitely clicked "complete purchase" and went to a new screen. And of course now I go back and they are more expensive. oh btw their app sucks too

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14861 on: June 16, 2022, 06:56:50 PM »
I am seeing prices fall a lot for 4th of July.

I will also say Delta's website is TERRIBLE. Just booked two flights and didn't get a confirmation for either one. I thought they went through. But did they? I definitely clicked "complete purchase" and went to a new screen. And of course now I go back and they are more expensive. oh btw their app sucks too

i recently had the same deal where i booked a mileage flight on united and got the reservation but they never followed through on ticketing and i didn't notice for some stupid reason and by the time i noticed it was too late to book.  had the same a couple times (united and american), but i noticed those in time to call and complete ticketing.

seems to be happening more frequently post-covid.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14862 on: June 17, 2022, 05:59:26 PM »
You’re flying into a dust bowl, XT.  Ts and Ps.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14863 on: June 18, 2022, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14864 on: June 18, 2022, 02:08:54 PM »
Man no idea so guessing some bygone hub like CVG or MEM

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14865 on: June 18, 2022, 02:17:29 PM »
outside the US

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: June 18, 2022, 04:38:52 PM »
anyone have recommendos on where to spend time in oregon?  have a bit of time in bend planned, looking for another couple of spots.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: June 18, 2022, 08:05:41 PM »
anyone have recommendos on where to spend time in oregon?  have a bit of time in bend planned, looking for another couple of spots.

The coast.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: June 18, 2022, 09:46:49 PM »

cannon beach like the goonies

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: June 18, 2022, 10:14:04 PM »
Have some kids and take them to tide pools.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: June 18, 2022, 10:16:45 PM »
yeah, childless oregon sounds absolutely miserable. it's a state for families ONLY. breed or GTFO.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: June 19, 2022, 06:44:40 AM »

Go to the Pine Mountain Observatory!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: June 19, 2022, 09:26:25 AM »
God’s bridge and the main waterfall

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r