Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1335136 times)

Offline fatdamon

• Combo-Fan
  • back farts
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12950 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
anyone ever been to ecuador?  gonna go kick it there for a month this summer.  sounds dope.
YAY FOOTBALL

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:06 AM »
Starting to plan my Kauai trip and looking for recommendations. Staying at the Grand Hyatt and honestly I don't give a crap if I just sit there all day every day and chill, but I figure I should prob do a couple of things for the kids. Any tips? I've never been to Hawaii. Someone said I should rent a Jeep and drive around??? Not sure about this as I don't just want to roam around in a car all day. We are not in to hiking so maybe just a trip to a cool beach town for some non resort beach time and good food? Maybe a morning boat trip or something? As you can tell, I have no idea so I'll take about any recommendation or tips for those that have been, especially food recommendations. Thanks

How old are the kids? Great things I can vouch for as being great:

- https://www.napali.com/. We've done the snorkel sail and dinner sail on different trips. You'll get an assload of dolphins riding your bow on the morning one and it's pretty incredible. Dinner sail is super chill and views are incred. Despite the photos kids would definitely enjoy it too. The view of the Napali coast from these sails are probably the coolest scenic views on the planet.

- Kalalau trail on the north side. Start the hike and get as far as the beach unless your kids are older and hardcore.

- Near that trail head is my favorite beach and beach town on Kauai, Hanalei. It's the absolute longest drive you can make from your hotel but the island is tiny and it's a very chill and scenic drive. We'd usually drive up here twice per week we'd stay and spend the day either hiking at Kalalau or hanging out on the beach and in Hanalei.

- https://www.theshopsatkukuiula.com/. Cool shopping area near the Hyatt with a lot of good food and a nice little grocery/prepared food store we stopped at for coffee and to get food for the day each morning. They'd have live bands and stuff in the evenings sometimes. Merriman's is here and is good but not the same experience as the Maui location because it's not on the water.

I'll think of more stuff later

Oh man, this is great. keep it coming. Kids are 8-9. This brings up another question. Should I rent a car? Can I get one for like the day? I didn't really consider it before since we were mainly resorting it and only there for 5 days. Hanalei is exactly something I would be down for. I love little beach towns. Hitting the beach and then going into town for food and drinks is my jam. I would love to do this a day or 2. Thanks again.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: April 20, 2021, 10:02:51 AM »
michigan / mackinac island pro tips plz

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: April 20, 2021, 10:08:30 AM »
I wanna go see my buds new place in LA this summer. @sys @michigancat are bars and stuff opened back up in cali? He's in West Hollywood now, so I could just Sur it up and spend a day in Santa Monica on Saturday.

Pretty much everything is open now.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: April 20, 2021, 10:13:24 AM »

Have an olive burger!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: April 20, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »
First post-chip trip completed.  Totally out of practice traveling but a couple upgrades to 1st and lounges got me back into the swing of things.  I can't imagine traveling on a plane and busy location (Vegas) before I was fully chipped though.  With it in my arm though, felt good.

Before you restart your travel engine, check credit cards on auto pay travel things you use.  I had like 4 I had to reset like for economy parking, etc.

Had to travel before being chipped, and coincidentally one of my flights to El Paso was through Vegas, you just had to get over it. Most people did a reasonable job, and at that time all middle seats (was going via SWA) were not used so it was actually pretty nice, being in McCarron for the layover, not so great.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: April 20, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »
I wanna go see my buds new place in LA this summer. @sys @michigancat are bars and stuff opened back up in cali? He's in West Hollywood now, so I could just Sur it up and spend a day in Santa Monica on Saturday.

:thumbs:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12957 on: April 20, 2021, 10:34:57 AM »

:thumbs:
*except schools lol

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: April 20, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
Starting to plan my Kauai trip and looking for recommendations. Staying at the Grand Hyatt and honestly I don't give a crap if I just sit there all day every day and chill, but I figure I should prob do a couple of things for the kids. Any tips? I've never been to Hawaii. Someone said I should rent a Jeep and drive around??? Not sure about this as I don't just want to roam around in a car all day. We are not in to hiking so maybe just a trip to a cool beach town for some non resort beach time and good food? Maybe a morning boat trip or something? As you can tell, I have no idea so I'll take about any recommendation or tips for those that have been, especially food recommendations. Thanks

- https://www.napali.com/. We've done the snorkel sail and dinner sail on different trips. You'll get an assload of dolphins riding your bow on the morning one and it's pretty incredible. Dinner sail is super chill and views are incred. Despite the photos kids would definitely enjoy it too. The view of the Napali coast from these sails are probably the coolest scenic views on the planet.

- Kalalau trail on the north side. Start the hike and get as far as the beach unless your kids are older and hardcore.

- Near that trail head is my favorite beach and beach town on Kauai, Hanalei. It's the absolute longest drive you can make from your hotel but the island is tiny and it's a very chill and scenic drive. We'd usually drive up here twice per week we'd stay and spend the day either hiking at Kalalau or hanging out on the beach and in Hanalei.

- https://www.theshopsatkukuiula.com/. Cool shopping area near the Hyatt with a lot of good food and a nice little grocery/prepared food store we stopped at for coffee and to get food for the day each morning. They'd have live bands and stuff in the evenings sometimes. Merriman's is here and is good but not the same experience as the Maui location because it's not on the water.

Oh man, this is great. keep it coming. Kids are 8-9. This brings up another question. Should I rent a car? Can I get one for like the day? I didn't really consider it before since we were mainly resorting it and only there for 5 days. Hanalei is exactly something I would be down for. I love little beach towns. Hitting the beach and then going into town for food and drinks is my jam. I would love to do this a day or 2. Thanks again.
Yes, 100% mandatory to rent a car. Would suggest a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: April 20, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
anyone ever been to ecuador?  gonna go kick it there for a month this summer.  sounds dope.

Stayed in Quito a few days before\after going to the Galapagos. There is a ton of cool history things, Independence Square, El Panecillo, and the Basilica if that is your thing.  There is a tour thing you can do to stand on both sides of the equator at the same time, and see some crazy science stuff that happens at the equator.  My favorite was just the food.  Great food everywhere, and the market is super cheap.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12960 on: April 20, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »

Yes, 100% mandatory to rent a car. Would suggest a Jeep.

cool thanks. I was going to try and do without, but it seems I should just book a car for the whole trip.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: April 20, 2021, 12:15:36 PM »
Yes, 100% need a car the whole time

Offline fatdamon

• Combo-Fan
  • back farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: April 21, 2021, 08:41:54 AM »

Stayed in Quito a few days before\after going to the Galapagos. There is a ton of cool history things, Independence Square, El Panecillo, and the Basilica if that is your thing.  There is a tour thing you can do to stand on both sides of the equator at the same time, and see some crazy science stuff that happens at the equator.  My favorite was just the food.  Great food everywhere, and the market is super cheap.

we are planning on flying into guayaquil and checking that place out for a couple of days before heading to the beach house in the montanita/olon area.  going to take weekend trips around the country to hit a couple of other spots, tho.  planning on going to cuenca, quito, and then checking out the rainforest. 

all of that sounded great, but yesterday looked on the US embassy website and they were pretty much like "don't go to ecuador unless ur a stupid idiot b/c 'rona," so all of this may go out the window.   :curse:
YAY FOOTBALL

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: April 21, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
I don't think I'd book an adventurous vacation to a third world country in 2021 unless everything was fully refundable.

Actually, I know I wouldn't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: April 21, 2021, 11:05:48 AM »

we are planning on flying into guayaquil and checking that place out for a couple of days before heading to the beach house in the montanita/olon area.  going to take weekend trips around the country to hit a couple of other spots, tho.  planning on going to cuenca, quito, and then checking out the rainforest. 

all of that sounded great, but yesterday looked on the US embassy website and they were pretty much like "don't go to ecuador unless ur a stupid idiot b/c 'rona," so all of this may go out the window.   :curse:

lol, you were surprised by this?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: April 21, 2021, 11:07:56 AM »
I mean US embassies make trips to Mexico seem like you're heading into a warzone in normal timesso of course they'll be conservative during a pandemic.

but also duh

Offline fatdamon

• Combo-Fan
  • back farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: April 21, 2021, 11:23:28 AM »
yeah, i knew they would give a bad report.  was planning on going anyway, but they just upgraded from level 2 (of 4) to a 4/4 on the "you're definitely gonna die-o-meter." 

GIMMIE A BREAK I'VE NEVER BEEN FURTHER SOUTH THAN WICHITA
YAY FOOTBALL

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: April 21, 2021, 11:29:22 AM »
After america has itself sufficiently chip’d, do all the domestic travel and vacationing you’ve ever wanted to do for a year or so. Go rough ridin' nut(s) with it. It’ll feel great after being so locked down for a year. Save everything else for when it’s certain that the rest of the world is chip’d too and it’s been shown this is entirely under control.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: April 21, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »

What SD said but also my favorite beach is Polihale on the west side. It's kinda remote (fun drive in the jeep!) but like you'll probably have it basically to yourself and it's beautiful. Good body surfing oppo.

And obvs take the kids to get puka dogs at some point. It's in Poipu v close to the Grand Hyatt

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: April 21, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »

Have an olive burger!

i can't tell if you're kidding but either way don't care, i'm going to have an olive burger.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: April 21, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »
My parents used to live in Quito. It's gorgeous, on the side of a mountain, it's like 60 degrees year round, and everything is basically free. If you like avocados you are in for an all you can avocado buffet.
Guayaquil is like a gross dirty seaport town with a totally different vibe and even accent from Quito. Some of the most "accent-free" Spanish is spoken in Quito, apparently. You should def visit Cotopaxi if that is allowed

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: April 21, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »
Yeah I've already postponed any foreign trips for the year.  Just too much uncertainty.  If one falls into my lap this fall, bonus.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: April 21, 2021, 01:05:10 PM »

What SD said but also my favorite beach is Polihale on the west side. It's kinda remote (fun drive in the jeep!) but like you'll probably have it basically to yourself and it's beautiful. Good body surfing oppo.

And obvs take the kids to get puka dogs at some point. It's in Poipu v close to the Grand Hyatt

lmao, that little shopping center is a tourist trappy treat. I enjoyed cruising through it and crushing a puka dog.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: April 21, 2021, 01:10:29 PM »
After america has itself sufficiently chip’d, do all the domestic travel and vacationing you’ve ever wanted to do for a year or so. Go rough ridin' nut(s) with it. It’ll feel great after being so locked down for a year. Save everything else for when it’s certain that the rest of the world is chip’d too and it’s been shown this is entirely under control.

It doesn't sound like Kansas will ever be sufficiently chipped as counties are turning away vaccine supply in counties where something like 26%-50% have been chipped.  Cancun may be an improvement.

My take is get your chip now.  Go play hard over then next 6-9 months while you can.  You are safe against the known variants.  It's what variant pops up in the near future from a large amount of unvaccinated people that I am worried about.  Get your travel in now, imo.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: April 21, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »
the biontech people convinced me that variants are not scary or a real threat. and since they basically are going to cure cancer and MS and most other diseases I trust them.