Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1351187 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12925 on: March 21, 2021, 10:31:07 PM »
thanks to both of you.  if we go, we'll probably drive, sometime between august-october.  or in a coming year if we don't go this year.  i'll be back for more concrete suggestions if/when we make definite plans.

We're driving out in early August. That's a hell of a drive for you, I-80 to Chicago, I-90 to Boston, 5 days on the road each way.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: March 22, 2021, 12:13:26 AM »
Go to a central maine hoops game starring Jamal Crawford's kid.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: March 22, 2021, 01:29:36 AM »
That's a hell of a drive for you, I-80 to Chicago, I-90 to Boston, 5 days on the road each way.

yeah, lot of the country up along the north that i've never seen.  kinda interested to drive through some of it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: March 22, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
Well, I did it. Booked Grand Hyatt in Kauai. Decided to go with SW and stay the night in San Jose on the way back and then fly back the next morning. I have a bunch of SW points and the companion pass so that adding to the fact that we didn't want to redeye with two kids helped make the decision. Not ideal flight situation either way, but whenever I start complaining about it I remember that I am taking my family to Hawaii for 7-8 days for essentially 9-11 fees and a few taxes from using points. That helps. Mahalo mfers

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: March 22, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »
Great move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12930 on: March 22, 2021, 09:56:59 PM »
Any chance the US/Canada border will be open by July?  I was able to defer entry from a canceled event last year to this year and I really really really want to go.

What do you think, guys?  Getting anxious to make travel plans.  Maybe I should just defer it another year.

I’m doubtful and it sucks. America’s gonna be extra white trash boom boom on 4th of July and there’ll be no escape.

Latest border closure order is thru 4/21 at the moment, and BC'r told me he's expecting to get chip'd in June.  Hoping it's like here and they're underselling and overdelivering and they'll be chip'n ever-y-one in May and maybe they'll take in us dirtbags in June.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: March 29, 2021, 08:34:26 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on Budapest?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12932 on: March 29, 2021, 08:47:11 PM »
I have a friend who is from and lives there. He’s shown me a lot of the city on Google earth and it looks really cool. Do you have any specific questions?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: March 29, 2021, 11:09:58 PM »

I've seen Grand Budapest Hotel. Have any questions?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12934 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:33 PM »
I have a friend who is from and lives there. He’s shown me a lot of the city on Google earth and it looks really cool. Do you have any specific questions?

Nothing specific, just if anyone has been there & general thoughts. Thinking about Prague/Brno/Budapest.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: March 29, 2021, 11:56:25 PM »
Seems great! Go for it!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: March 30, 2021, 12:10:34 AM »

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: March 30, 2021, 12:21:51 AM »

good movie.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: March 30, 2021, 11:29:43 AM »

good movie.

It's an institution.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: March 30, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »
Confession time, I get Budapest and Istanbul mixed up a lot
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: March 30, 2021, 01:25:37 PM »

Maybe you're just hungary for turkey?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: March 30, 2021, 03:45:48 PM »

Maybe you're just hungary for turkey?

No, he gets constantinople

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12942 on: April 02, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: April 02, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
Hell yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12944 on: April 10, 2021, 05:03:02 PM »
Any chance the US/Canada border will be open by July?  I was able to defer entry from a canceled event last year to this year and I really really really want to go.

What do you think, guys?  Getting anxious to make travel plans.  Maybe I should just defer it another year.

Going to Montana.  Booked a place in the Whitefish/Kalispell area.  Haven’t been up there in maybe 15 years and it was pre-kids, so hit me with suggestions.  Obviously will spend some time in Glacier.

If the border opens, we’ll extend our trip a couple days and drive up to do the Canada thing.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12945 on: April 10, 2021, 05:19:40 PM »

Going to Montana.  Booked a place in the Whitefish/Kalispell area.  Haven’t been up there in maybe 15 years and it was pre-kids, so hit me with suggestions.  Obviously will spend some time in Glacier.

If the border opens, we’ll extend our trip a couple days and drive up to do the Canada thing.

Mount Brown Lookout trail if you're into hiking and looking for a challenge. you'll run into big white mountain goats toward the top. increds.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12946 on: April 20, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
First post-chip trip completed.  Totally out of practice traveling but a couple upgrades to 1st and lounges got me back into the swing of things.  I can't imagine traveling on a plane and busy location (Vegas) before I was fully chipped though.  With it in my arm though, felt good.

Before you restart your travel engine, check credit cards on auto pay travel things you use.  I had like 4 I had to reset like for economy parking, etc.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12947 on: April 20, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
Starting to plan my Kauai trip and looking for recommendations. Staying at the Grand Hyatt and honestly I don't give a crap if I just sit there all day every day and chill, but I figure I should prob do a couple of things for the kids. Any tips? I've never been to Hawaii. Someone said I should rent a Jeep and drive around??? Not sure about this as I don't just want to roam around in a car all day. We are not in to hiking so maybe just a trip to a cool beach town for some non resort beach time and good food? Maybe a morning boat trip or something? As you can tell, I have no idea so I'll take about any recommendation or tips for those that have been, especially food recommendations. Thanks

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12948 on: April 20, 2021, 08:53:59 AM »
I wanna go see my buds new place in LA this summer. @sys @michigancat are bars and stuff opened back up in cali? He's in West Hollywood now, so I could just Sur it up and spend a day in Santa Monica on Saturday.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12949 on: April 20, 2021, 09:08:21 AM »
Starting to plan my Kauai trip and looking for recommendations. Staying at the Grand Hyatt and honestly I don't give a crap if I just sit there all day every day and chill, but I figure I should prob do a couple of things for the kids. Any tips? I've never been to Hawaii. Someone said I should rent a Jeep and drive around??? Not sure about this as I don't just want to roam around in a car all day. We are not in to hiking so maybe just a trip to a cool beach town for some non resort beach time and good food? Maybe a morning boat trip or something? As you can tell, I have no idea so I'll take about any recommendation or tips for those that have been, especially food recommendations. Thanks

How old are the kids? Great things I can vouch for as being great:

- https://www.napali.com/. We've done the snorkel sail and dinner sail on different trips. You'll get an assload of dolphins riding your bow on the morning one and it's pretty incredible. Dinner sail is super chill and views are incred. Despite the photos kids would definitely enjoy it too. The view of the Napali coast from these sails are probably the coolest scenic views on the planet.

- Kalalau trail on the north side. Start the hike and get as far as the beach unless your kids are older and hardcore.

- Near that trail head is my favorite beach and beach town on Kauai, Hanalei. It's the absolute longest drive you can make from your hotel but the island is tiny and it's a very chill and scenic drive. We'd usually drive up here twice per week we'd stay and spend the day either hiking at Kalalau or hanging out on the beach and in Hanalei.

- https://www.theshopsatkukuiula.com/. Cool shopping area near the Hyatt with a lot of good food and a nice little grocery/prepared food store we stopped at for coffee and to get food for the day each morning. They'd have live bands and stuff in the evenings sometimes. Merriman's is here and is good but not the same experience as the Maui location because it's not on the water.

I'll think of more stuff later