Author Topic: lawns  (Read 11699 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: lawns
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
Sprinkler systems...

Anyone installed their own before?  Sounds horribly easy.  I have a trencher and am not Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), so I can work with PVC and stuff. 

Only concern would be connection to house water(backflow preventer, etc).

Seems like they would be incred cheap and easy.

Anyone?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
I actually enjoy mowing my lawn.  Nothing beats the look and smell of a freshly mowed yard.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
I actually enjoy mowing my lawn.  Nothing beats the look and smell of a freshly mowed yard.

Sounds like you enjoy having a mowed lawn, not actually mowing your lawn.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Sprinkler systems...

Anyone installed their own before?  Sounds horribly easy.  I have a trencher and am not Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), so I can work with PVC and stuff. 

Anyone?
  I installed my own and it is on a well not on city water.  I did not put a back flow on it because there are no ordinances where I live and the well is not in the city limits.  Other than that yeah irrigation is really easy.  Just remember to get head to head coverage and to not try and put too many heads on a zone.  Test your pressure so you know how many heads you can put on a zone before you start.  If you live on a hill you will need to calculate the pressure loss for going up hill or down etc.  But my property was flat so I didn't need to worry about that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »
Really looking forward to never personally maintaining one again.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »
Sprinkler systems...

Anyone?
  I installed my own and it is on a well not on city water.  I did not put a back flow on it because there are no ordinances where I live and the well is not in the city limits.  Other than that yeah irrigation is really easy.  Just remember to get head to head coverage and to not try and put too many heads on a zone.  Test your pressure so you know how many heads you can put on a zone before you start.  If you live on a hill you will need to calculate the pressure loss for going up hill or down etc.  But my property was flat so I didn't need to worry about that.

Wow, I hope you don't drink from that well.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
Sprinkler systems...

Anyone?

nope irrigation only, our ground water has high nitrates and is not good for drinking anyway.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
Sprinkler systems are pretty straight forward, minus the backflow assembly.  However, even with a trencher, there is still quite a bit of digging involved.  (You have to hand dig a hole for every head.)  If you have like 4 dudes, you can install one in one weekend.  Probably save a grand or so by doing it yourself.  I used to actually install them for a couple summers but paid to have mine put in.  (Bad memories of swinging a pickaxe in 100 degree weather.)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
Sprinkler systems...

Anyone?

nope irrigation only, our ground water has high nitrates and is not good for drinking anyway.

Wow, that was a close one.

'grats on the well.  From what I hear, you were able to bypass the most expensive part(preventer).

Also, what did you use to design the head coverage?  Simply a pressure reading mathed up by pressure needed per head?  Or did you find something that helped you map out zones and head-to-head distances?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
Sprinkler systems are pretty straight forward, minus the backflow assembly.  However, even with a trencher, there is still quite a bit of digging involved.  (You have to hand dig a hole for every head.)  If you have like 4 dudes, you can install one in one weekend.  Probably save a grand or so by doing it yourself.  I used to actually install them for a couple summers but paid to have mine put in.  (Bad memories of swinging a pickaxe in 100 degree weather.)

I checked a few years ago and it was going to be about $2500 to have it done, but pricing the materials, I think I could do it for around $1k and then buy the preventer/pay a plumnber for a couple hours for around $500.  Don't know if that would be cheaper now since the local construction market is horrible.   :dunno:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
Got a buddy that owns a lawn company, he just installed one in my little bro's yard.  Those numbers are right in the ballpark.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 03:25:36 PM »
Really looking forward to never personally maintaining one again.

:party:

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
Also on your sprinkler system make sure you install autodrains.  This will save you headaches of "blowing down the system."  All you will have to do is drain the backflow at the end of the year.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:55 AM »
my yard is the worst.  Looks like crap.  Come by sometime and see my shitty piece of crap yard.  I hate.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
Bought my Gpa's old house last fall and the yard is just a mess. The front yard had overgrown the driveway and sidewalk by about 6 inches which I finally edged this weekend, ended up with about 5 wheel barrows full of dirt.

Next project is to get the grass looking good and I need some advice. The lawn looked fine when my GPA lived there but I think the combination of drought/no one watering for the past 2 years have killed it.

This is what it looks like now(complete with pictures of dogs), any suggestions?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
water the crap out of it

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
Put in a pool.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
Where is this yard located? Is it always dry?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »
Where is this yard located? Is it always dry?

Located in the KC area.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »
Well at least it's not covered with weeds.  Could be ballsy and verticut in some Macho Mix.  You'd probably be fine since we have that cold front moving through and you can water the crap out of it, too.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Any type of fertilizer I should put down or just water the crap out of it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2012/05/rethinking-lawns.html

Lawns are an enormous waste of resources and are pretty awful for the environment. They look nice, though.