Author Topic: lawns  (Read 11704 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: lawns
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
Sprinkler systems...

Anyone installed their own before?  Sounds horribly easy.  I have a trencher and am not Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), so I can work with PVC and stuff. 

Only concern would be connection to house water(backflow preventer, etc).

Seems like they would be incred cheap and easy.

Anyone?

parents neighbor did it, he's a moron.   So anyone can do it.

Agree with you the tough part is the controls.     

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »
sprinkler systems are super cheap. why waste your time?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »
you know who probably has a great lawn?  jake water's parents.  the kid has everything in life.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: lawns
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »
Bought my Gpa's old house last fall and the yard is just a mess. The front yard had overgrown the driveway and sidewalk by about 6 inches which I finally edged this weekend, ended up with about 5 wheel barrows full of dirt.

Next project is to get the grass looking good and I need some advice. The lawn looked fine when my GPA lived there but I think the combination of drought/no one watering for the past 2 years have killed it.

This is what it looks like now(complete with pictures of dogs), any suggestions?

Sorry Benji, water isn't bringing that back.
1. Get rid of the dogs, do you want dogs or a nice lawn? its tough to have both
2. Get your soil tested. Your local extension office will do this for like $20
3. Treat soil as directed from above results
4. Wait until this fall and aerate/verticut it and over seed
5. Water like crazy
6. Start a routine weed control program

Pro tip: most of weed control and yard seeding should happen in the fall
I'm purple down

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
lawns suck.  i wish i could just pave mine over (might do).  i really couldn't give a crap, but i feel like the neighbors are judging me (prolly are).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
Ben Ji, lots of Macho Mix and put golf course fert on it like every two weeks. 

Also, I rake or verticut before putting it down, then cover it with peat moss and/or some straw. 

I just moved into a house and the guy died before our last summer and no one did anything to the lawn.  I just did a bunch of this 3 weeks ago and I have a bunch of baby little grasses going crazy at my place.

Also, most everything should be done in the fall, but if the alternative is mud for the summer, put some seed down.  The down side is you will have to water it pretty much all summer since the new plants won't have strong roots.  I did this and plan to overseed in the fall.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
pretty surprised monsanto hasn't taken over the grass seed industry

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
lawns suck.  i wish i could just pave mine over (might do).  i really couldn't give a crap, but i feel like the neighbors are judging me (prolly are).

Is it desert-y enough to just put rocks out there like they do in Phoenix? Or maybe a native plant year or something.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »
Sys, just let it all grow.  Tell them that you are naturalizing your lawn as that is better for the environment and wildlife and how they are bad ppl because they obviously don't care about either.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
Is it desert-y enough to just put rocks out there like they do in Phoenix? Or maybe a native plant year or something.

yeah, it's dry enough.  i don't really care for that look though, if i did something like that, i'd prolly just put down pavers over the whole thing with cutouts for trees (a rock lawn would also look dumb with the existing non-desert trees, and would be hard to rake).

but i'm not organized enough to do anything that ambitious this year.  so for now, the neighbors are all judging me.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »
Sys, just let it all grow.  Tell them that you are naturalizing your lawn as that is better for the environment and wildlife and how they are bad ppl because they obviously don't care about either.

it doesn't rain here for like 8 months straight, so the naturalized summer lawn would be dead weeds that grew during the winter and bare dirt.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
Pave it and put down artificial turf.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
You could plant bermuda grass or buffalo grass, sys. Once you get it established, you should be able to keep it alive with very little water and you will hardly ever have to mow.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
lawns suck.  i wish i could just pave mine over (might do).

seems mean to your border collie and his pads

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
You could plant bermuda grass or buffalo grass, sys. Once you get it established, you should be able to keep it alive with very little water and you will hardly ever have to mow.

My relatives in that area do bermuda.  Looks fine to me.  :dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
If you go the drought-tolerant grass route, don't wait until the fall to plant it, though. You will want to do that next month.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
Ben Ji, lots of Macho Mix and put golf course fert on it like every two weeks. 

Also, I rake or verticut before putting it down, then cover it with peat moss and/or some straw. 

I just moved into a house and the guy died before our last summer and no one did anything to the lawn.  I just did a bunch of this 3 weeks ago and I have a bunch of baby little grasses going crazy at my place.

Also, most everything should be done in the fall, but if the alternative is mud for the summer, put some seed down.  The down side is you will have to water it pretty much all summer since the new plants won't have strong roots.  I did this and plan to overseed in the fall.

Will do this.

RaquetCat- I know that having a super awesome lawn and a super cute dog are mutually exclusive, I just dont want my to look like complete crap.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »
last year absolutely destroyed my lawn( not great to begin with but was ok to go barefoot in.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »

warm season grasses, all the rain here is in the cool season.  i dunno, just seems to be at cross purposes, although lots of people do have these 3 mm tall bermuda lawns around here.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »
lawns suck.  i wish i could just pave mine over (might do).

seems mean to your border collie and his pads

yeah, that's prolly the main reason i will put in a lawn.  though we live on the corner of a busy street, so it's not a great place for a dog anyways.  but he's car smart.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
btw, i'm pretty sure i'm going to seed in tall fescue and clover.  just not till fall.  so the neighbors will just have to judge away until then.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »
I don't understand guys that hate mowing/yardwork - it is absolutely the best listening to music/podcasts a married man with children can get  :dunno:

If you don't want to water but care about your neighbors judgment, let if get fairly tall for the dry season but edge and trim where it does grow so it looks tidy.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: lawns
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
Bought my Gpa's old house last fall and the yard is just a mess. The front yard had overgrown the driveway and sidewalk by about 6 inches which I finally edged this weekend, ended up with about 5 wheel barrows full of dirt.

Next project is to get the grass looking good and I need some advice. The lawn looked fine when my GPA lived there but I think the combination of drought/no one watering for the past 2 years have killed it.

This is what it looks like now(complete with pictures of dogs), any suggestions?

Sorry Benji, water isn't bringing that back.
1. Get rid of the dogs, do you want dogs or a nice lawn? its tough to have both
2. Get your soil tested. Your local extension office will do this for like $20
3. Treat soil as directed from above results
4. Wait until this fall and aerate/verticut it and over seed
5. Water like crazy
6. Start a routine weed control program

Pro tip: most of weed control and yard seeding should happen in the fall

This is all good, but I'd recommend just paying a professional to rehab the lawn for the first year. Then take over from there with your own fertilizer/weed treatments. A couple other tips:
1. I'm guessing you don't have a sprinkler system. If you don't, and you want to have a nice looking lawn, get ready for a lot of work setting out sprinklers, moving them around, etc. It's a pain in the ass.
2. If all that grass is dead instead of dormant (fyi - zoysia is still dormant), you're probably better off applying roundup this summer and starting from scratch this fall.

And using rock instead of mulch generally blows. Rock gets hot and bakes shallow root systems, and doesn't break down and fertilize your plants (like mulch). You'll generally have healthier plants if you spend a little time spreading around some mulch every spring.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
Sprinkler moving:  if you have a smaller yard, buy this http://www.amazon.com/Aquazoom-2700-Square-Oscillating-Sprinkler-Adjustable/dp/B002VED42E/ref=sr_1_17?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1366666831&sr=1-17&keywords=sprinkler  It is adjustable in several ways, has a timer so you don't forget to turn it off, and is overall fantastic.