Author Topic: lawns  (Read 11706 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: lawns
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
Benji, is that dirt or just dormant Bermuda grass?  I'm in the PV area and I've got a Bermuda fescue mix.  Fescue in the shade, Bermuda in the sun. Not ideal, but for how long I'll be in my house, not worth the time or money to remove the Bermuda. 

Anyway, Bermuda will remain dormant for another few weeks until it begins greening up. Too early to fertilize it and verticuting is worthless, because the grass is invasive.  At least, according to the folks at Grass Pad. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »
Benji, is that dirt or just dormant Bermuda grass?  I'm in the PV area and I've got a Bermuda fescue mix.  Fescue in the shade, Bermuda in the sun. Not ideal, but for how long I'll be in my house, not worth the time or money to remove the Bermuda. 

Anyway, Bermuda will remain dormant for another few weeks until it begins greening up. Too early to fertilize it and verticuting is worthless, because the grass is invasive.  At least, according to the folks at Grass Pad.

PV area too and I think it is bermuda but now sure.

Will probably just water the hell out of it and fertilize it then see if it grows.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »
If it's bermuda, you shouldn't need to water the hell out of it.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Zoysia.  GTFOOMF Bermuda. 

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That looks like dormant buffalo grass to me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
I don't understand guys that hate mowing/yardwork - it is absolutely the best listening to music/podcasts a married man with children can get  :dunno:

This makes me sad. :frown:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2013, 06:11:11 PM »
I think it's Bermuda.  It's common in kc metro, including PV.  Looks just like mine, too.  Don't think buffalo is as prevalent. 

NK is right, don't need to water Bermuda very much.  In fact, I've read it's bad to water any grass a lot in spring time, as it impedes the grass's ability to tolerate dryer, hotter summer months. 

Bermuda isn't as "pretty" as fescue, but it is hardier and, once it greens, will stay green through the summer. 

My advice, just leave it alone.  Fertilize in mid May and mow it.  That's about it. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Also, I'd google "de-thatching Bermuda".  My neighbor does this, I haven't.  May help. 

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
I don't understand guys that hate mowing/yardwork - it is absolutely the best listening to music/podcasts a married man with children can get  :dunno:

This makes me sad. :frown:
really?  I find it cathartic - I  am not sure there is a better ( non destructive) way for me  to cope with the Angel news than spreading some 18-2-24  while listening to Gary Stewart

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Bermuda and Zoysia grass is almost impossible to get rid of anyway, so you're pretty much stuck with it. Even if you kill it off in your yard, it'll just creep back in from your neighbor's yard.

The good thing about these grasses is they require very little water, fertilization, or weed control, and they're high traffic. The crap is so thick and invasive that it crowds out pretty much all other weeds naturally. Downside is that they're ugly, take a long time to green up, don't blend well with other grasses, and are a pain in the ass to mow (thick).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »
Bermuda and Zoysia grass is almost impossible to get rid of anyway, so you're pretty much stuck with it. Even if you kill it off in your yard, it'll just creep back in from your neighbor's yard.

The good thing about these grasses is they require very little water, fertilization, or weed control, and they're high traffic. The crap is so thick and invasive that it crowds out pretty much all other weeds naturally. Downside is that they're ugly, take a long time to green up, don't blend well with other grasses, and are a pain in the ass to mow (thick).

Zoysia is beautiful.  I agree with everything else you said.