Author Topic: Fix Trim's router or whatever is busted  (Read 27909 times)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Re: Fix Trim's router or whatever is busted
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2015, 10:00:22 AM »
did the kitchen people put in a faraday cage?

are faradays a common nuisance in the greater wichita area?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
did the kitchen people put in a faraday cage?

No. The upstairs area is an open kitchen/dining/living space, so I think we would have noticed.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
Man gE.com is just the best. I submit a problem and you guys get Mrs. Gooch lined out on fixing it while I just sit back and relax. :thumbsup:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
Man gE.com is just the best. I submit a problem and you guys get Mrs. Gooch lined out on fixing it while I just sit back and relax. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I noticed that. Why the eff did I do all the work?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that. Why the eff did I do all the work?
Do not question the process just go with it.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
Try unplugging the router and then plug it back in. Test before and after from the same spot.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »
Whatever router Uverse gave me sucks ball(s) and taints. If I have more than like three devices connected to the WiFi it is slow as crap. At the max I would have two smart TV's, a laptop, tablet, and two phones possibly connected at one time. What router (is that even the problem?) should I get to fix this?

call them and have a technician give you a better modem/router combo.
It's @Mrs.Gooch

:whistle1:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »

If you'd done this a year ago, you could've moved into my old place* or something similar that would've accommodated some Trim's Stuff.

*and hopefully known not to use the company MIR did to manage rental of your cavehouse

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
Try unplugging the router and then plug it back in. Test before and after from the same spot.

Yeah, but I shouldn't have to be plugging and unplugging my router all the time.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »

Yeah, but I shouldn't have to be plugging and unplugging my router all the time.
Well, when you call in, that is what the cable company/uverse is going to tell you to do, so then you can smush them with the data already in hand and say something like, "Look, I already took this problem to goEMAW.com, they aren't a bunch of idiots. I already performed that little test and here are the results. NOW GET ME A NON-MUMPED UP ROUTER!"

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »

Well, when you call in, that is what the cable company/uverse is going to tell you to do, so then you can smush them with the data already in hand and say something like, "Look, I already took this problem to goEMAW.com, they aren't a bunch of idiots. I already performed that little test and here are the results. NOW GET ME A NON-MUMPED UP ROUTER!"

And keep saying their "name" all sarcastically.  Oh yeah? I already tried then, "Ben".  That didn't fix the problem, "Ben." Except, can't do air quotes obviously, so just like a sarcastic inflection that lets them know you know that's not their real name.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »

^^^^ Yes do this

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »

^^^^ Yes do this

It doesn't matter if I do it ahead of time, they are just going to tell me to do it while on the phone with them. It is really a pain to get up there and unplug it too.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
Well - we've narrowed down the problem.

You might try upgrading your laptops wireless drivers. What make/model of laptop is it that is sucking ass?

Also, go to control panel > device manager > network adapters > find your wireless network adapter and right click properties > Driver tab. It should list a date/name/etc. What does it say?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2015, 01:35:37 PM »
Also get me the model # of your uVerse modem/router. Changing channels would probably help, but not sure yet.

Another test if you are a night owl - run the test in the middle of the night. There is likely less wireless traffic/interference going on.

TL;DR - the overall problem w/ wireless is competing for "air time". Even though you are on different SSID's (wireless networks), those are just logical, not "physical" networks. You are competing with other wireless networks (and any other devices using the 2.4 or 5ghz spectrum) to transmit data. When there is a crap ton of those devices on the same spectrum, it's going to cause problems.

Distance/range is another problem too which seems evident based on you get better speeds when you are closer to your router. You could try repositioning it, or running a network cable down through the wall somewhere and relocate your router to wherever you spend the most time at.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »
:emawkid:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
OK, well I ran it at 7am this morning and the speeds were slightly better than ~8pm last night (I would think there would be less traffic at 7am)....I will try to get all the info tonight.

Also, the router is located there because that's where the line comes into the house and moving it would include running a bunch of cable like through the floorboards/walls/etc...which would have been a PITA. Also, our newest TV upstairs (in living space adjacent to kitchen) has a wireless cable box for this same reason.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »

You might try upgrading your laptops wireless drivers. What make/model of laptop is it that is sucking ass?

Also, go to control panel > device manager > network adapters > find your wireless network adapter and right click properties > Driver tab. It should list a date/name/etc. What does it say?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Radius P55W-B running Windows 8.1.
Intel Duel Band Wireless-AC 7260
Driver Provider: Intel
Driver Date: 02/18/2014
Driver Version: 17.0.0.34
Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

OK, so we have a Home Portal: Pace Model 3801HGV and a Wireless Access Point: Motorola MOdel VAP2500.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
Saul, you are one bad ass.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Radius P55W-B running Windows 8.1.
Intel Duel Band Wireless-AC 7260
Driver Provider: Intel
Driver Date: 02/18/2014
Driver Version: 17.0.0.34
Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

OK, so we have a Home Portal: Pace Model 3801HGV and a Wireless Access Point: Motorola MOdel VAP2500.

Looks like your drivers are up to a late enough date, that's probably not contributing to your problem.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-change-your-wireless-channels-2Wire-Pace-and-Motorola/td-p/4201449

Try that out.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »
Was trying to work from home this AM and was being absolutely fist mumped by this. Changed channels like Saul suggested and it appears to be better. If this does not hold I'm just going to burn my house down.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »
Was trying to work from home this AM and was being absolutely fist mumped by this. Changed channels like Saul suggested and it appears to be better. If this does not hold I'm just going to burn my house down.

I was waiting to do this until I had time to run the speed test right before and right after. Now I'll never know how much of an effect it really had.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »
signal interference from gooch slow-cooking ribs in the microwave, case closed