Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 936149 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4350 on: April 01, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »
Ford's buyout was pretty much his remaining contract value and about 10 mil.  Unless Pickens wanted Ford gone and was willing to foot the bill, he was never going anywhere.

Its possible (likely) that Boone/OSU put out feelers for who they wanted (Bill) and when those came back negative the best choice was keeping Ford around. Once Boone announced his support it was pretty much done.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: April 01, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »
Ford's buyout was pretty much his remaining contract value and about 10 mil.  Unless Pickens wanted Ford gone and was willing to foot the bill, he was never going anywhere.

Its possible (likely) that Boone/OSU put out feelers for who they wanted (Bill) and when those came back negative the best choice was keeping Ford around. Once Boone announced his support it was pretty much done.

With a Burger Boy committed, I think waiting another year isn't the worst thing ever.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: April 01, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »
St. Johns is the NYC version of DePaul.
Yes, but their failure for success is much worse. They've been in a better conference longer and play their home games in the Garden. The post-Carnesecca era has been a nightmare.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4353 on: April 01, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »

He's not their only multi-billionaire donor, but he's definitely the face.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: April 01, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »

Would make sense.  I just thought that saying it showed a disconnect between the AD and Boone was a stretch. 

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: April 01, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
I sure hope this bidding war for oscar between Bama and Texas doesn't get too out of hand.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: April 01, 2015, 08:30:41 PM »
Yes, but their failure for success is much worse. They've been in a better conference longer and play their home games in the Garden. The post-Carnesecca era has been a nightmare.

St. John's and DePaul both had unsustainable success during the Carnesecca and Ray Meyer eras. They were lucky enough to have top notch coaches at reasonable cost, something that would never happen today. The Garden, when no one is in attendance, is not all that compelling of a place to play compared to a packed Rupp, Allen Fieldhouse, Cameron, etc. I'm not even sure the Garden means a damn thing to 18 year old kids these days anyways. Saint Johns got lucky when a local boy decided to stay home (Mullin). DePaul was only good in the post Ray Meyer era when a few local kids (Q. Richardson, B. Simmons, L. Williams) decided to stay home. This is also unsustainable considering the top players in these cities will be courted by schools with much better programs, facilities, etc. They're schools in major league cities where no one gives a damn about them for the most part. Yes, they are in locations where good basketball talent resides, but the best players in those cities are leaving when Kentucky, Duke, KU, etc. come calling. What's left is not as great as people might presume (does the name Jevon Thomas ring a bell?). In the end, DePaul and Saint Johns are harder to win at then people tend to believe.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:35:21 PM by Clevey No Mo »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: April 01, 2015, 09:08:30 PM »

St. John's and DePaul both had unsustainable success during the Carnesecca and Ray Meyer eras. They were lucky enough to have top notch coaches at reasonable cost, something that would never happen today. The Garden, when no one is in attendance, is not all that compelling of a place to play compared to a packed Rupp, Allen Fieldhouse, Cameron, etc. I'm not even sure the Garden means a damn thing to 18 year old kids these days anyways. Saint Johns got lucky when a local boy decided to stay home (Mullin). DePaul was only good in the post Ray Meyer era when a few local kids (Q. Richardson, B. Simmons, L. Williams) decided to stay home. This is also unsustainable considering the top players in these cities will be courted by schools with much better programs, facilities, etc. They're schools in major league cities where no one gives a damn about them for the most part. Yes, they are in locations where good basketball talent resides, but the best players in those cities are leaving when Kentucky, Duke, KU, etc. come calling. What's left is not as great as people might presume (does the name Jevon Thomas ring a bell?). In the end, DePaul and Saint Johns are harder to win at then people tend to believe.

That's a lot of block text. St. John's have an on campus gym they play their home games in, Carnseca Court.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: April 01, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: April 01, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »
Rece Davis @ESPN_ReceDavis
Gregg Marshall has reached a deal to stay at Wichita State a source tells me tonight. Won't visit Alabama this week as previously planned.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: April 01, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »
I'm guessing Texas didn't reach out to him for whatever reason, because staying at Wichita over Texas would be losery IMO

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: April 01, 2015, 09:46:24 PM »
It's too late in the day for April's fools jokes !
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: April 01, 2015, 09:47:21 PM »
If true, wow.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:30 PM »
I'm guessing Texas didn't reach out to him for whatever reason, because staying at Wichita over Texas would be losery IMO

Texas AD didn't like Marshall as a person after their meeting.

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: April 01, 2015, 10:02:30 PM »
 :Take the Bait: no
Where did you get this? I haven't seen any reports they even met.

Texas AD didn't like Marshall as a person after their meeting.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: April 01, 2015, 10:06:56 PM »
Gregg Marshall has reached a deal to stay at Wichita State a source tells me tonight. Won't visit Alabama this week as previously planned.

The article that tweet is referencing says wichita locked him up for 3.3 mill a year for 7 years.  Dayum.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: April 01, 2015, 10:13:47 PM »

The article that tweet is referencing says wichita locked him up for 3.3 mill a year for 7 years.  Dayum.
Holy crap

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: April 01, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »

Rolling and I would bet he got all the leverage on the buyout. Basically if crap hits the fan at WSU they won't be able to fire him.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: April 01, 2015, 10:27:36 PM »

Rolling and I would bet he got all the leverage on the buyout. Basically if crap hits the fan at WSU they won't be able to fire him.

Is that the case with most successful coaches :dunno:

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: April 01, 2015, 10:32:45 PM »
Marshall staying at Wichita is boring AF.  It does keep the door open for Jeff Van Gundy @ texas Tho.

Offline theymightbegiants

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: April 01, 2015, 10:48:14 PM »
From reading the VCU board they believe Marshall sets a good example.  I highly doubt he becomes the norm and he may yet move when a job he actually wants comes open. I get the impression VCU thinks 2M+ keeps the longhorn away and I personally hope they are right.  It's a little embarrassing WSU has a higher commitment to winning than us IMO.
"I feel safe in white because, deep down inside, I'm an angel"-Puff Daddy

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #4371 on: April 01, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
Isn't Shaka to UT, like, already old news???
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: April 02, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/583660403097477123

Kind of a strange situation. Jans was Marshall's top assistant at WSU before taking the BG job last year. BG administration is citing "public misconduct" as the reason.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/583660403097477123

Kind of a strange situation. Jans was Marshall's top assistant at WSU before taking the BG job last year. BG administration is citing "public misconduct" as the reason.

Yeah, it must have been pretty bad, they had their best season since 2002 this year.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
Beating some kid up at a bar? Maybe getting a little frisky with some laaaaaadddddieees?