Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 943793 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4325 on: March 31, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »
between the lakers and the knicks, i would take the LA job.  the problem in LA, which i agree could be traced back to management, is kobe
the knicks on the other hand have james dolan and that sucks worse than anything 
and i'm a life long knicks fan
another issue where college has the advantage over pro - the Blue Bloods will have the blood of an AD(Crushed Dove) and maybe even a President it if they cross a great coach.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: March 31, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
Well, I know F'ite/TCfS Nation loves them some Rick Barnes, and hey, I kind of like Rick myself  (I mean I still love the guy from when he was at Clemson and decided he wasn't going to homered in the Dean Dome anymore and pretty much met Dean Smith at half court).   There was something that just wasn't right at Texas these past few years and they did underachieve IMO.
i am not sure if I saw it here or on ShaggyBevo but allegedly Barnes got super into his faith and church in the last few years  :dunno:
Heard that as well.

Yeah there's talk within the Texas AD that this has led to his slippage because his priorities changed. Because of this they thought/hoped that he was just going to go home and quit at the end of the season. Guess not.

His wife had cancer which I think caused a lot of reflection on making meaning out of life.  After Dodds left, I think the "it being time to move on" was absolutely a two-way street between the people at UT (new AD, boosters) and Barnes.  Dodds got along with the old boy coaches and one by one they are leaving.  I doubt Augie has much time there anyway, but Patterson probably doesn't care nearly as much about baseball.

The way in which Patterson went about it was incredibly cowardly as well.  Good for Barnes.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: March 31, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »

Smart

His style would be more fun, and would be very good with Texas-sized recruits, but his shine has worn a bit for me. He's been in a much tougher conference the last few years tho.

Why has the shine worn off, they're still winning?

It's because he hasn't made any final fours since that one and it's how people measure success. It's wrong, but it's what happens.

He's never finished first in any of the dogshit conferences he's been in.

The A-10 isn't dogshit and they likely win it this year if they don't lose Weber.

Not winning the A-10 or the Colonial once in six years is not impressive. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: March 31, 2015, 04:15:14 PM »
Making the tourney five years in a row is a significant accomplishment at Smart's level. It shows he can recruit, which is really what's most important.

Would you say that Gregg Marshall "can recruit" or more specifically that he has shown that as well?
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: March 31, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
it did take Gregg 5 seasons at WSU to win the valley

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: March 31, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
Making the tourney five years in a row is a significant accomplishment at Smart's level. It shows he can recruit, which is really what's most important.

Would you say that Gregg Marshall "can recruit" or more specifically that he has shown that as well?
other than his DITRing he did win a pretty decent recruiting battle for Early.   I would love to know where he finds his unlimited supply of tough 6-7 posts that are very effective vs P5 bigs in the tournament.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: March 31, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »
it did take Gregg 5 seasons at WSU to win the valley

He won the crap out of the Big South.  Early and often. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: March 31, 2015, 04:28:48 PM »

Absolutely. The sustained success shows their recruits are contributing very soon, and they aren't having good seasons just by having a very experienced team. I mean Marshall started two sophomores for an undefeated regular season, of course he can recruit.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: March 31, 2015, 04:30:06 PM »

Absolutely. The sustained success shows their recruits are contributing very soon, and they aren't having good seasons just by having a very experienced team. I mean Marshall started two sophomores for an undefeated regular season, of course he can recruit.

Good. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: March 31, 2015, 04:30:51 PM »

My general point is that all too often mid-major coaches have great seasons because they luck into an experienced team - this isn't the case with Smart and Marshall.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »

My general point is that all too often mid-major coaches have great seasons because they luck into an experienced team - this isn't the case with Smart and Marshall.
ya, ol' Dr. Tom Davis did this for his son Keno at Drake and he got the Providence job from the one good season. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: March 31, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
I would say Marshall lucked into Baker, but every coach walks into a diamond in the rough from time-to-time. Walk-on greats tho, are very rare in the basketball world.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: March 31, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »
I would say Marshall lucked into Baker, but every coach walks into a diamond in the rough from time-to-time. Walk-on greats tho, are very rare in the basketball world.

Kinda of lucked in to Fred Van Vleet, developed so much after he signed. Some smelly bigger schools were push him to go to prep school to get a chance to recruit him late. He also landed the Oregon transfer as a walk-on. That was big.

Marshall computers number plus his limited resources compared to Smart make him look far better. Marshall has been really good with his bigs. That will transfer anywhere.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:22 PM »
Landry Shamet was a big get for him. Recognizing Van Vleet was somewhat lucky, similar to us with Foster. But really, at any level, it's good recruiting when you target a recruit that does better than most expected.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: March 31, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »

https://twitter.com/boonepickens/status/583029315945762816

Will be fun to see what happens. The power struggle between the AD and Boone has been going on for a while, and it may get interesting with this. AD wants Ford gone, and now we see Boone wanting him to stay.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: March 31, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »
Nevermind...AD just made statement that Ford is the coach. Guess Boone wins again!

#gottlieb4ksu

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: March 31, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
IIIIIIIIII waaaaaaaaaaant Daaaaaaaaaaaalonte.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: March 31, 2015, 11:20:34 PM »
Hoiberg lost an assistant that came to ISU with him to St. John's today. The guy's name is too long and hard to spell.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: March 31, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »
Hoiberg lost an assistant that came to ISU with him to St. John's today. The guy's name is too long and hard to spell.

A powerful St. Johns would be very cool. They haven't been good for a long time.

Edit to add: Why on earth did Fran leave his NYC comfort zone for New Mexico? That was a career derailing choice.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:31:35 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #4345 on: March 31, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
Nevermind...AD just made statement that Ford is the coach. Guess Boone wins again!

#gottlieb4ksu

Great scoop
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: March 31, 2015, 11:36:49 PM »

A powerful St. Johns would be very cool. They haven't been good for a long time.

Edit to add: Why on earth did Fran leave his NYC comfort zone for New Mexico? That was a career derailing choice.

fired

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/fran-fraschilla-st-johns-texas-am

he actually sat out a year before landing at New Mexico

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »

fired

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/fran-fraschilla-st-johns-texas-am

he actually sat out a year before landing at New Mexico

Didn't realize. Very odd. I remember him from being very good at Manhattan in my youth. St.John's is such a weird story. Remember Felipe Lopez on the cover of SI with those funky looking city-skyline uniforms, Wth? It was a top-tier job for a long time after Carnesecca too. It still gets a lot of attention. NYC HS hoops, I guess.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: April 01, 2015, 07:04:58 AM »
St. Johns is the NYC version of DePaul.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: April 01, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Ford's buyout was pretty much his remaining contract value and about 10 mil.  Unless Pickens wanted Ford gone and was willing to foot the bill, he was never going anywhere.