Author Topic: Looks like . . .  (Read 24854 times)

catzacker

Re: Looks like . . .
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
Oh, and the word I get is that Pres Schulz wants this project done ASAP, he's completely behind it.

I would assume that if he want this done immediately (especially given the economy and the other issues ksu - as a university - has), its because he sees it as a priority and by direct extension so would making sure that our head coach is around to coach practice in this new facility.

Someone has to be telling him "look, shultzy, if you want to survive longer than a suicide bomber, get that practice facility and keep that coach".  or at least that's what I want to believe.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
So one day K-State is broke... the next day K-State is planning a $20 million facilities upgrade.  Something doesn't add up here. 

Don't be jealous cause you aren't getting the Gridiron Club.   :nono:

KU is getting a Gridiron Club.  It's just not going to be done in less than a year. 

How much has been raised since the 13% report in January?  Have you raised 15% yet?

KU got ballsy and thought they could complete a $34 million project in less than a year.  It didn't work out that way. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
These things always take time.   With the delays in the gridiron club mean further delays to things like the outdoor track.  7 years minimum from the new outdoor track concept being put on paper to actual dirt moving, and 7 years is a stretch to say the least, a whole bunch of other stuff has to happen based on current plans to finance the construction of that facility. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »
KU's track program sucks anyways.  Redwine is a nice guy, but he needs to go. 

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 03:21:53 PM »
Oh, and the word I get is that Pres Schulz wants this project done ASAP, he's completely behind it.

I would assume that if he want this done immediately (especially given the economy and the other issues ksu - as a university - has), its because he sees it as a priority and by direct extension so would making sure that our head coach is around to coach practice in this new facility.

Someone has to be telling him "look, shultzy, if you want to survive longer than a suicide bomber, get that practice facility and keep that coach".  or at least that's what I want to believe.
:drool:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »
:gocho: <-Mods, why didn't this emoticon make it over here?  TP lawsuit fears?  :users:

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »
Let's be honest Ben.   Lew stepped all over his crank with his proclamations about the gridiron club.

I have been following facilities projects in college athletics very closely for a long time . . . and no school that I've seen at ku's level has ever pulled off a privately funded $35 million dollar project in less than a year.    I am not knocking ku here, but Lew bit off more than he could chew on that one.   

On a project of that budget there is almost no way to go from conceptual design to permit level drawings in that time frame. So there is for sure no way you get to the construction/shop drawing level. now lew is prolly blowing cash for people reissue design documentation and to re-permit.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »
Plus never underestimate all the BS the State is going to run you through for a project like that.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
Let's be honest Ben.   Lew stepped all over his crank with his proclamations about the gridiron club.

I have been following facilities projects in college athletics very closely for a long time . . . and no school that I've seen at ku's level has ever pulled off a privately funded $35 million dollar project in less than a year.    I am not knocking ku here, but Lew bit off more than he could chew on that one.   

On a project of that budget there is almost no way to go from conceptual design to permit level drawings in that time frame. So there is for sure no way you get to the construction/shop drawing level. now lew is prolly blowing cash for people reissue design documentation and to re-permit.

I was assuming that the design was already complete?   :dunno:

Regardless of design status, you are still correct on timing.  No way in one year.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »

I completely agree, which is why I wasn't that surprised when they announced that it wouldn't be complete by next season.  If KU wins a national title again this year in basketball, I could see the project getting done in a year or two, though. 

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
Who is our high BBIQ poster who can now tie this development to the negotiation of Frank Martin's contract.  Am I mistaken, or was the practice facility a high priority for Frank?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 04:36:23 PM »
Who is our high BBIQ poster who can now tie this development to the negotiation of Frank Martin's contract.  Am I mistaken, or was the practice facility a high priority for Frank?

I thought I heard in the past that Frank was intent on making facility expansion a required component in his contract-to-be.  It would make sense that the facility project progress is part of that.  Showing Frank that the Uni is serious. 

Who knows?  Just a guess.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »
every ku program except men's basketballsucks anyways. 

FYP

DeezMeister

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
If I was in charge of this project, I would make Frank a subcontractor and award him a $1-2 million contract.  His contract would require him to swing by the OOD 4-7 times per week and check sh*t out.  His duties would entail:  making sure all the lazy union construction workers were, well, doing work.  He would be in charge of yelling at them in order to get their maximum effort (BMW feel free to use this idea on the Gridiron Club, so it can be done in less than a year).  He would also "encourage" the concrete to dry faster, soldering to cure, whatever.

If we do it this way, we can amortize the first year or two of his raise over 20 years, and thus bridge our cash flow short falls in these recessionary times.

We'll also save money because the "jobs" that normally take 3 months would only take 1 month, etc., etc. b/c the construction workers would actually be working.

[I apologize in advance if you are a lazy construction worker and take offense]

Offline MTC44

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »
I read this after class and emailed a family member.  While not particularly insidery himself, his best friends are big time $$$ people that are quite insidery.  To paraphrase (don't want to cut and paste, too many personal names and info

His friend is on a committee that Currie put together.  Had plans of the facility and was showing them off.
Will cost $20mil (roughly)
Funded mostly thru donations.
He didn't know when it would start, or how much had been raised.
Two story building east of the OoD.  It will not be connected (WHY??!?!?!?)  Looked very elite.
Two full-sized courts with weights, meeting rooms, blah blah.
The lanes were purple with white cat scratches (like the old unis!)
Smaller encircled powercat logo at center court.
- Show quoted text -

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »
Likely not connected because it would require that Bramlage have all kinds of code upgrades done to it.   

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:12 PM »
omg, when can we expect renderings?

Depends if K-State wants to spend tens of thousands for sketchup drawings. Right ew2x4?

Pathetic, that your university probably paid tens of thousands of dollars for Sketch Up images.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
So one day K-State is broke... the next day K-State is planning a $20 million facilities upgrade.  Something doesn't add up here. 

Don't be jealous cause you aren't getting the Gridiron Club.   :nono:

KU is getting a Gridiron Club.  It's just not going to be done in less than a year. 

Like us. :cool:

And Haver, how is that supposed to work? You guys don't even fill the seats that you have now....

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 10:59:58 PM »
:gocho: <-Mods, why didn't this emoticon make it over here?  TP lawsuit fears?  :users:

YES! :gocho:

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:24 PM »
omg, when can we expect renderings?

Looks like upper deck restroom renderings are already appearing:

IS this going to be called the Gridiron Club?

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
What are the odds we half-ass thing like we did with the upper deck, Bramlage, etc?

100%  On a $20,000,000.00 proposed facility I'd expect the final product to look something like this:

(Buildings, chain link fence & paving will be installed in a later phase).  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:20:06 AM by AzCat »

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:06 AM »
Haverhill, should we thank microsoft paint for that rendering?

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
I'm def  :ksu: after reading this.  thanks.  makes me feel much better about the whole contract situation.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »
For the record, Iowa State has now had a working practice facility for over 6 months... and the clock is ticking. Better hope Greg McDermott doesn't use the new facility to outrecruit Frank Martin!!!  :lol:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
For the record, Iowa State has now had a working practice facility for over 6 months... and the clock is ticking. Better hope Greg McDermott doesn't use the new facility to outrecruit Frank Martin!!!  :lol:

Nice, I like Hav's sense of humor about being owned.  It is refreshing.