Poll

Will the "cool" Pinstripe Bowl K-State be on the new field at BSFS?

Yes . . . it's cool.  Currie Prevails.
NO . . . OB Wins again.

Author Topic: BSFS Expansion Thread  (Read 3993276 times)

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #5275 on: April 06, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
I don't think it's veneer, but only because I seem to recall seeing large pallets of stone in the photos.  I suppose they could have been pallets of veneer.   :dunno:

It's not structural, hence it is veneer. Seaton and Anderson are the only buildings on campus that aren't fully veneer. Just not how it's done these days.

Why?

Monolithic stone doesn't drain, and isn't insulative. And it's much much much more expensive. Just not worth it.

GFA- Should have said the only ones I've been in or know about. Stuff like Kedzie, I've never been in. Not sure if Fairchild is or not.

This seems like lazy talking.  If it was good enough for the greeks and romans, then it is good enough for me.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: April 06, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
I don't think it's veneer, but only because I seem to recall seeing large pallets of stone in the photos.  I suppose they could have been pallets of veneer.   :dunno:

It's not structural, hence it is veneer. Seaton and Anderson are the only buildings on campus that aren't fully veneer. Just not how it's done these days.

Why?

Monolithic stone doesn't drain, and isn't insulative. And it's much much much more expensive. Just not worth it.

GFA- Should have said the only ones I've been in or know about. Stuff like Kedzie, I've never been in. Not sure if Fairchild is or not.

This seems like lazy talking.  If it was good enough for the greeks and romans, then it is good enough for me.

???

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: April 06, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »

Was randomly clicking on old pages in this thread to read what was being discussed at various points during this stadium renovation process.  Happened to click on page 85, which is when the renderings were first made public.  It didn't seem real at the time that we were going to get this stadium upgrade.  Even now, looking at the work in progress, it still doesn't seem real.  Pinch me, am I dreaming?   :cheers:

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #5278 on: April 06, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »

Was randomly clicking on old pages in this thread to read what was being discussed at various points during this stadium renovation process.  Happened to click on page 85, which is when the renderings were first made public.  It didn't seem real at the time that we were going to get this stadium upgrade.  Even now, looking at the work in progress, it still doesn't seem real.  Pinch me, am I dreaming?   :cheers:

It's as real as real can be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: April 06, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
If you aren't in MHK try and make it for the Spring Game.  The structure just towers over the field now.  The old Dev almost seemed to stand behind the field, especially, IMO, because it was a sheer face, but the depth from the seating decks makes it look tremendous. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: April 07, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »

Ok.  Veneer to me is prefab, thin tiles that are affixed like tile. Instead of stacked stones. 

Obviously the stone isn't load bearing.  The building is made of steel.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: April 07, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Here, we learn how a limestone veneer wall is constructed.

The exterior wall assembly does not consist of "prefab" panels, but rather 4", individual limestone blocks, stacked, mortarted, and connected to angle brackets over a CMU wall.

This is also how we will build our limstone field wall someday!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:36:11 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: April 07, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »
Here, we learn how a limestone veneer wall is constructed.

The exterior wall assembly does not consist of "prefab" panels, but rather 4", individual limestone blocks, stacked, mortarted, and connected to angle brackets over a CMU wall.

This is also how we will build our limstone field wall someday!

But that isn't exactly how they are doing the skin on the majority of the building, but I'm sure that is how the walls will be done.  :thumbs:
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: April 07, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »
Actually, it looks like that is how they are doing the limestone cladding based on this image, looking in the upper left.  It's not precast.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: April 07, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »

Ok.  Veneer to me is prefab, thin tiles that are affixed like tile. Instead of stacked stones. 

Obviously the stone isn't load bearing.  The building is made of steel.

Correct. Veneer simply means it isn't holding up the floors. It is only holding itself up. The drawings that wabash posted are exactly how it would look, except they are using metal studs instead of CMU. The purple is an exterior gypsum board panel with a weather barrier. It will have ties and lintels attached that hold the stone up and keep it from tipping.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa, fellas: slow down.  I thought Vaneer wasn't really an issue until phase 4 or 5?

:grin:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:11:02 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #5286 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa, fellas: slow down.  I thought Vaneer wasn't really an issue until phase 4 or 5?

:grin:

:thumbs:
:adios:

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00:46 PM »
Great info, guys. Now I can discuss the limestone issue with non-goE people and wow them with my knowledge (pretending, of course, to have known these tech issues all along).  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:13:49 PM by bones129 »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: April 07, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »
Actually, it looks like that is how they are doing the limestone cladding based on this image, looking in the upper left.  It's not precast.

that upper left isn't cinderblock, none of it really is.  Like I pointed out in my pictures a couple pages ago, its a veneer of thick brick.  It doesn't attack/hang on the wall with the same metal tabs which go into the block.  Its not worth bickering about.  The walls are steel stud, there is an insulating layer, some sort of external covering, than the limestone. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: April 08, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »
guess what guys, there are multiple clips that can be used, some of which are attached and look exactly the same if used on cmu or framed walls!

we can now end the debate on all this dumb crap.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: April 08, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »
Oh kinda like I alread said?  Thanks guy.  :thumbs:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: April 08, 2013, 12:37:55 AM »

It doesn't attack/hang on the wall with the same metal tabs which go into the block.

no.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: April 08, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
I doubt my mom ever thought that picture would be used to discuss limestone veneer attachments when she texted it to me
emaw

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: April 08, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
sd has been a little busy the last couple of days, but i'm pretty sure that i can speak for him when i say, everybody shut up.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »

It doesn't attack/hang on the wall with the same metal tabs which go into the block.

no.
double no.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: April 08, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »
Might want to go take some last photos of Niles and Frasier, as they are scheduled be taken down by the end April / early May

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: April 08, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
give us more info cc!   :lick:
emaw

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: April 08, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
 :surprised: I missed when the cranes were given names  :confused:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: April 08, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
I believe the deforestation of Niles and Frasier should be countered with the planting of replacement trees.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
Might want to go take some last photos of Niles and Frasier, as they are scheduled be taken down by the end April / early May

please tell me that that's what everyone in the AD calls them.