Poll

Will the "cool" Pinstripe Bowl K-State be on the new field at BSFS?

Yes . . . it's cool.  Currie Prevails.
NO . . . OB Wins again.

Author Topic: BSFS Expansion Thread  (Read 4023376 times)

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #5250 on: April 05, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »
The new lights are up! They've really got some work done the past few weeks

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
I don't think it's veneer, but only because I seem to recall seeing large pallets of stone in the photos.  I suppose they could have been pallets of veneer.   :dunno:

Probably cinder block.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: April 05, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Folks, don't pay any attention to no nothings on this subject like Ubben.

:nerdalert

I've followed this stuff for years.   When you look at the scope of the WSC and compare it to other projects with similar scopes.  That being just pressbox/suites/clubs, ingress/egress, concessions and amenities on just one side of the stadium.   Not touching any other parts of the stadium or adding any new seating or redoing any of the existing seating in the seating bowl/decks.   WSC is one of the most expensive, if not THE most expensive project of its kind to date in the facilities arms race.   Yes, other projects have been more expensive but the scope of the project in every case has been much more expansive; rebuilding (or building new) entire stadiums, or renovating the entirety of a stadium.  WSC is just one side of the stadium, and because of the way BSFS is built there's not 10's of millions of dollars being poured into the mundane task of supporting the structure atop an above grade seating bowl.  Yet, that said, the projected cost is $75 million dollars. 

Stanford rebuilt it's entire football stadium, paying premium prices to have it completed in just one year for just $15 million dollars more than WSC.   CFU built a brand new 50,000 seat football stadium for $25 million less than WSC just a few years ago.   OU spent $125 million and that touched literally everything about their stadium, their "Vanier Complex" and other items.   TCU and Okie State literally rebuilt their entire stadiums so the scope of those projects is not comparable to WSC.    Texas Tech spent $84 million and basically re-did their entire stadium, and the WSC will cost $25 million more than the press box/suites and renovated restrooms/concessions they built.   Baylor is building an entirely new stadium from scratch. 

I've looked at, read the particulars etc on nearly every major facilities project at every D1 (FBS and FCS) school across the country over the last 20 years (and in some cases before) . . . WSC is as big time as it gets kids.   :emawkid:

Michigan basically built two WSCs and spent $226M...just saying. We're doing good, but not great.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: April 05, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: April 05, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »

I've followed this stuff for years.   When you look at the scope of the WSC and compare it to other projects with similar scopes.  That being just pressbox/suites/clubs, ingress/egress, concessions and amenities on just one side of the stadium.   Not touching any other parts of the stadium or adding any new seating or redoing any of the existing seating in the seating bowl/decks.   WSC is one of the most expensive, if not THE most expensive project of its kind to date in the facilities arms race.   Yes, other projects have been more expensive but the scope of the project in every case has been much more expansive; rebuilding (or building new) entire stadiums, or renovating the entirety of a stadium.  WSC is just one side of the stadium, and because of the way BSFS is built there's not 10's of millions of dollars being poured into the mundane task of supporting the structure atop an above grade seating bowl.  Yet, that said, the projected cost is $75 million dollars. 

Stanford rebuilt it's entire football stadium, paying premium prices to have it completed in just one year for just $15 million dollars more than WSC.   CFU built a brand new 50,000 seat football stadium for $25 million less than WSC just a few years ago.   OU spent $125 million and that touched literally everything about their stadium, their "Vanier Complex" and other items.   TCU and Okie State literally rebuilt their entire stadiums so the scope of those projects is not comparable to WSC.    Texas Tech spent $84 million and basically re-did their entire stadium, and the WSC will cost $25 million more than the press box/suites and renovated restrooms/concessions they built.   Baylor is building an entirely new stadium from scratch. 

I've looked at, read the particulars etc on nearly every major facilities project at every D1 (FBS and FCS) school across the country over the last 20 years (and in some cases before) . . . WSC is as big time as it gets kids.   :emawkid:

Michigan basically built two WSCs and spent $226M...just saying. We're doing good, but not great.

Michigan's pressbox looks like dogshit though

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: April 05, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »

That's not the point, here's a little news flash, if the scope of work at KSU, were equal to the scope of work at Michigan, than you're looking at $200 million easy at K-State.    Building 2 WSC has about a $150 million dollar price tag, then touch all the other parts of the stadium like Michigan did and  you're looking at $40 to $50 million dollars more.

K-State is spending $75 million on a pressbox. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: April 05, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »

That's not the point, here's a little news flash, if the scope of work at KSU, were equal to the scope of work at Michigan, than you're looking at $200 million easy at K-State.    Building 2 WSC has about a $150 million dollar price tag, then touch all the other parts of the stadium like Michigan did and  you're looking at $40 to $50 million dollars more.

K-State is spending $75 million on a pressbox.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: April 05, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
East side?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: April 05, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
can't we all just be happy with our Castle?  sheesh. 

I do hope they keep steaming ahead in this crap economy.  Imagine what the price tag for this stuff would've been 5-10 years ago.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: April 05, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »

I do hope they keep steaming ahead in this crap economy.  Imagine what the price tag for this stuff would've been 5-10 years ago.

Economy isn't crap, bro.  It's humming.  Leading indicators are great.  Work in my biz has been robust, and we are leading indicator.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: April 05, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »
according to my 401(k) the economy is doing badass
emaw

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: April 05, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
Yeah, perception hasn't caught up with reality on the economy. We should still be pretty proud of ourselves for fundraising this thing in an awful economy, though.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: April 05, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »
according to my 401(k) the economy is doing badass

I'd thank Ben Bernanke for that

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: April 05, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
Yeah, perception hasn't caught up with reality on the economy. John Currie We should still be pretty proud of ourselves for fundraising this thing in an awful economy, though.
FYP  :D
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: April 05, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »

Economy isn't crap, bro.  It's humming.  Leading indicators are great.  Work in my biz has been robust, and we are leading indicator.

Western Europe leading indicators disagree. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5265 on: April 05, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
when I say economy is crap, i'm more referring to the commercial construction industry.  I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I know KSU had very good timing when it began all of this stuff, BSFS, BBTF.  labor and material costs were low, as were GC's profit margins.  We are building this Castle for a fraction of what it would've cost 5-10 years ago.   

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: April 05, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
East side?

West

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: April 05, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
Maybe what Ubbs thinks we're missing are some trees and a limestone wall?

I think what Ubbs is missing is that this is Phase 2.5 of 6.

I believe his panties are in a bunch because he is worried that Currie won't float some extra cash for a booster seat for him in the pressbox.  Without it he fears he won't be able to see over the work counter top to watch the game.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: April 06, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
when I say economy is crap, i'm more referring to the commercial construction industry.  I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I know KSU had very good timing when it began all of this stuff, BSFS, BBTF.  labor and material costs were low, as were GC's profit margins.  We are building this Castle for a fraction of what it would've cost 5-10 years ago.

I'm a consulting structural engineer and we are freaking busy. material costs aren't down. the gc's we work with have pretty thin margins sometimes. Then main difference we are seeing now is heavier coordination and much more accurate pricing, and also faster delivery times. basically people are saving money on construction because all the monkey business wiggle room has been removed. if a gc wants a job the price and time better be on, clients aren't paying up front for what if scenarios that never happened and end up as huge profit margins for gc's (and "value engineering bonuses" for consultants from the gc.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: April 06, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
you can see some dudes moving around on the sideline from the north cam!   :ksu:
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: April 06, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »

emaw

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: April 06, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
I don't think it's veneer, but only because I seem to recall seeing large pallets of stone in the photos.  I suppose they could have been pallets of veneer.   :dunno:

It's not structural, hence it is veneer. Seaton and Anderson are the only buildings on campus that aren't fully veneer. Just not how it's done these days.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: April 06, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »

It's not structural, hence it is veneer. Seaton and Anderson are the only buildings on campus that aren't fully veneer. Just not how it's done these days.

Why?

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: April 06, 2013, 06:45:42 PM »
Seaton and Anderson aren't the two oldest buildings on campus, so why are they the only two that aren't veneer?
emaw

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »

Why?

Monolithic stone doesn't drain, and isn't insulative. And it's much much much more expensive. Just not worth it.

GFA- Should have said the only ones I've been in or know about. Stuff like Kedzie, I've never been in. Not sure if Fairchild is or not.