Author Topic: Speaking of oscar-ketball  (Read 52167 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of oscar-ketball
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »
It really is sad for me right now . . . seeing that just like on Wabash during Snyder I (and now), we've got a lot of people who are bigger fans of the coach than they are of K-State.

Sad . . . really.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
It really is sad for me right now . . . seeing that just like on Wabash during Snyder I (and now), we've got a lot of people who are bigger fans of the coach than they are of K-State.

Sad . . . really.

What can I tell you Dax?  Winning all those games was fun as eff.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
All I said is that I think oscar is a good fit for K-State. And that Gene Keady is pretty smart, and knows basketball.  I didn't make that connection. I agree with Keady that Weber is a good fit, but he isn't the reason I think that.

Honestly, I think Weber relates well to Kansans. I think he can relate to the players (granted, not like Martin could with Hispanic players). He is well spoken. He is an x's and o's coach. He talks about hard nosed defense. He seems passionate. He seems to care about more than just basketball.

I don't know. Maybe it's just lip service. Maybe he just reminds me of a lot of the coaches I admire in the way he presents himself. We'll find out.

Mancattanite logic: 
White, goofy, socially awkward = relates well with Kansans.
Bad track record of coaching success = good fit for Kansas State
Cuban origin, grew up poor = relates well with Hispanic players
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:39 PM »

Sad . . . really.

Sure was . . . it was great to see KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY BASKETBALL win many games.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »

Sad . . . really.

Sure was . . . it was great to see KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY BASKETBALL win many games.

So true.  No one would be upset if we thought we had an equal or better chance of doing that after what happened this spring, but we don't, so we are.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2012, 05:32:45 PM »
All I said is that I think oscar is a good fit for K-State. And that Gene Keady is pretty smart, and knows basketball.  I didn't make that connection. I agree with Keady that Weber is a good fit, but he isn't the reason I think that.

Honestly, I think Weber relates well to Kansans. I think he can relate to the players (granted, not like Martin could with Hispanic players). He is well spoken. He is an x's and o's coach. He talks about hard nosed defense. He seems passionate. He seems to care about more than just basketball.

I don't know. Maybe it's just lip service. Maybe he just reminds me of a lot of the coaches I admire in the way he presents himself. We'll find out.

Mancattanite logic: 
White, goofy, socially awkward = relates well with Kansans.
Bad track record of coaching success = good fit for Kansas State
Cuban origin, grew up poor = relates well with Hispanic players

Woah there. Because Frank Martin is Cuban he relates well to Hispanic players. Yes. That was no secret during his time here that he had a definite recruiting edge when recruiting Hispanic players. He did also did other things well.

From what I have seen, it seems that the players are very receptive to BW.  It also seems that the media and people in general around K-State are pretty receptive to him. He is good at being around people. And let's be honest, Frank was not.
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »

Sad . . . really.

Agreed.  Maybe one day, again.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
You guys act like what Frank did was unmatched in the history of K-State Basketball.

The NCAA tourney is 64 teams . . . what Frank did should be the minimum expectation of any coach of K-State Men's Basketball.   Frank Martin put exactly ZERO trophies of substance in the K-State trophy case.  He got close once.  Hey great job Frank . . . you got close. 

If oscar Weber does not meet the minimum base line of what K-State basketball should do, than both he and John Currie (if he's even still here, which is doubtful) should be fired in short order.   

But nothing was going to change Frank Martin getting out when he did, because Frank realized that he had burned down so many bridges it was beyond recovery.   

In addition the majority of  "choices" who the Too Cool for Schoolers wanted to replace Frank were 1:  NEVER GOING TO COME TO K-STATE or 2:  WOULD HAVE BLOWN ASS IF THEY DID.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
He is good at being around people. And let's be honest, Frank was not.

What people? 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
You guys act like what Frank did was unmatched in the history of K-State Basketball.

The NCAA tourney is 64 teams . . . what Frank did should be the minimum expectation of any coach of K-State Men's Basketball.   Frank Martin put exactly ZERO trophies of substance in the K-State trophy case.  He got close once.  Hey great job Frank . . . you got close. 

If oscar Weber does not meet the minimum base line of what K-State basketball should do, than both he and John Currie (if he's even still here, which is doubtful) should be fired in short order.   

But nothing was going to change Frank Martin getting out when he did, because Frank realized that he had burned down so many bridges it was beyond recovery.   

For the purposes of this post, I'm 35, Dax.

The history of K-State college basketball for quite a few people here is Altman, Asbury, Wooldridge, Huggins, Frank, Weber.  One era is not like the others.  Does that help explain why K-State basketball fans are so upset about what we had and - blame everyone, it doesn't matter - lost?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »

In addition the majority of  "choices" who the Too Cool for Schoolers wanted to replace Frank were 1:  NEVER GOING TO COME TO K-STATE or 2:  WOULD HAVE BLOWN ASS IF THEY DID.

I'd have been happier with literally dozens of unknown, unproven assistants.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
Hey great, you would have been "happier" . . . and then you would have realized that 99.9% of the "unknown assistants" were in way over their head and didn't have the first effing clue.

Daris . . . the majority of those coaches blew ass . . . I wanted all but 2 of them fired.   I will want oscar Weber fired as well if he doesn't meet the minimum expectations.

But once again, Frank wasn't sticking around because he was going nowhere with his recruiting at K-State and he knew it.   Pretty smart move by Frank considering by 2014 or 2015 at the very latest, he would have been fired.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »
Hey Frank Martin First Fans . . . enjoy rocking the Under Armour!!

Under Armour  . . .   :lol:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
yeah, this place is insufferable at times
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
For the record, I renewed my tickets this year.  I know a couple that did not, which is why I started this thread.

My expectations for this upcoming season are results similar to last year's: 22-11 or thereabouts, and 10-8 in conference.  Regardless of what happens, I'll be in my seats every game, just like always.

Last year, we used a couple of miracle upsets at BU and at MU to secure our spot in the tourney.  If we had lost one of those, we'd have been 9-9 in conf and sitting on the bubble.  If we had lost both, we would have been NIT bound.  I don't expect oscar to lead us to some monster road wins like that, but I'm hoping we'll take better care of our home floor to offset it.

Next year, once Rodney and JO have graduated, I think our roster is the epitome of an NIT-caliber team.  A good PG in Angel, an undersized big man in Gipson, and a smart plucky white guy in Spradling.  I don't really know what to expect from oscar as he attempts to recruit to Manhattan.  Hopefully, the completed BTF will help with that.  He's going to have (at least) 4 scholarships to offer and he's going to have to hit on at least a couple of those if we're going to maintain the level of success we've had the last few years.  He's not inheriting Beasley, Walker and Pullen, so he's not going to have it as easy as Frank did.  Is he up to the challenge?  For better or worse, we're going to find out.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »
Hey Frank Martin First Fans . . . enjoy rocking the Under Armour!!

Under Armour  . . .   :lol:

Nobody here is a Frank Martin First fan, Dax.  Although I have a S.Carolina ID and "Big male genitals Fan" cup from years ago when I was at a week-long class there.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
But once again, Frank wasn't sticking around because he was going nowhere with his recruiting at K-State and he knew it.   Pretty smart move by Frank considering by 2014 or 2015 at the very latest, he would have been fired.

Frank got fired this year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Speaking of oscar-ketball
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
Frank didn't get fired from crap. I rough ridin' hate that oscar Weber is our coach but why some of you are turning that into a reason to suck that retards dick is beyond me.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Frank didn't get fired from crap. I rough ridin' hate that oscar Weber is our coach but why some of you are turning that into a reason to suck that retards dick is beyond me.

Only when oscar support'rs go with a "better than Frank" argument.  I don't know why it gets viewed as "Frank First" or sucking his dick instead of liking winning and wanting to continue (this would encompass hiring Gottlieb too (sucking Gottlieb's dick?)).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
Frank left KState. He didn't have to. He may have put himself in a position that he had to but he knew what he was doing. Even he's not that stupid.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
Frank left KState. He didn't have to. He may have put himself in a position that he had to but he knew what he was doing. Even he's not that stupid.

Well, whoever we want to blame, Frank's gone.  So that's that.  Then Currie mumped us with Weber and tried to tell us life was better.  Frank's not a factor in that rough ridin' of EMAW.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
Can we get the behind the scene story on the whole frank thing please?

Isn't it time?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:18 PM »
Screw bob Huggins but he made a smart move in leaving. I take solace in the fact that the worst decision frank ever made was to leave and he knows it. He mumped his career for the rest of his life and he is regretting it and will never stop. I take solace in it because eff frank martin. And eff John currie. And eff both of their parents or whoever raised them for not raising children that could have functioning interpersonal relationships. Luckily neither of those fucks are KState.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »

Well, whoever we want to blame, Frank's gone.  So that's that.  Then Currie mumped us with Weber and tried to tell us life was better.  Frank's not a factor in that rough ridin' of EMAW.

I can hate plenty of people at once. I'll always be most vocal about the one people are trying to make a martyr of though.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
trying to make a martyr of though.

:lol:

I'll be most vocal about the one that mumped us most, hardest and still can.