Author Topic: Speaking of oscar-ketball  (Read 51896 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of oscar-ketball
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
Also, both sides have a point in this debate. There are absolutely good reasons to be pissed off--at JC, Frank, everyone--about how everything went down, and it's acceptable to vent that anger towards the people in charge. That said, constantly talking about it is gonna get old really quickly (and already has for some). Not sure how a happy medium can be established between the two sides, but it'd be great if we could find it.

I foresee that once school and sports start there'll be many more opportunities for people to vent the anger towards the people in charge than there are now.  Then the talk here can be about the funny methods of venting which will be more :D than the underlying anger.  So that'll be good.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
my suggestion would be this...

don't turn every bball thread into a currie/frank/weber thread. i've been guilty of this. i'll stop. this thread was going to be one and it was supposed to be one. leave the other bball threads out if it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
i'll stop.

never stop.  never forgive.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
Read it. You don't like Currie. Got it. You should have been more specific in you original comment, as there are many people who work at K-State that are not named John Currie.

i don't think i even posted in the thread.  you might want to reread it (being specific, trim's post, being more specific, who is kstate, who works for kstate and the distinction between them), as you evidently somehow missed the point.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
i'll stop.

never stop.  never forgive.
and NEVER SURRENDER!

And when the night is cold and dark
You can see, you can see light
No one can take away your right
To fight and to never surrender
To never surrender

Oh, time is all we're asking for
To never surrender
Oh, oh, you can never surrender

Time is all you're asking for
Stand your ground, never surrender
Oh, oh, oh, oh, I said
You never surrender, oh

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
dobber, shut up.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »
Well if this is the "official" Frank/BW/JC thread...

@Trim

I see.

I haven't been posting that long, here's my 2 cents fwiw (which is probably less than 2 cents)...

1) Frank Martin inherited a team and recruits. Damn good ones, too. Just like oscar has inherited/is inheriting players.

2) Their win percentage is pretty comparable.

3) BW has more experience coaching college basketball.

4) I legitimately think that BW is a pretty good fit for K-State.

And I will mention that the last head coach we had that coached at So. Illinois turned out pretty good. Although that coach has no real connection to the current. I'm just hoping that the basketball gods shine their light on our little coliseum on the prairie once again.

I like Currie. Why? $$$. I say that being fully aware of the backlash you guys can dish out.
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
I really like our supporting staff (based entirely off twitter and kstatesports vids). I'm hoping that weber is just an icecream man and figurehead and the rest of the staff is our real coach.

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »
Nobody concerned with the future success of Kansas State basketball would've hired oscar Weber. #burnitdown

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »

@Trim

I see.

I haven't been posting that long, here's my 2 cents fwiw (which is probably less than 2 cents)...

1) Frank Martin inherited a team and recruits. Damn good ones, too. Just like oscar has inherited/is inheriting players.

And I will mention that the last head coach we had that coached at So. Illinois turned out pretty good. Although that coach has no real connection to the current. I'm just hoping that the basketball gods shine their light on our little coliseum on the prairie once again.

I like Currie. Why? $$$. I say that being fully aware of the backlash you guys can dish out.

1) Frank had a little something to do w/that.  Frank has no history of taking some other dude's guys that he had nothing to do with, coasting on them for a little bit, and then failing. oscar does.

2) Yep, Weber built himself a nice safety net of a W-L record before torpedoing Illinois.

3) Sure.  Do not give a eff.  Frank has experience making us all happy and winning games here at K-State where it hadn't been done in a really long time, but that's not necessarily important under this regime.

4) You've been talking to Gene Keady haven't you?  Either way, why?  I'm K-State, and I think oscar Weber's a dork who, as rising star SPBT would say, can get mumped.

And I will mention I don't know who the eff you're talking about or what relevance that would have, which I see you acknowledged.  I don't like hoping, I like winning.  We had that.

If you're saying you think Currie would be a good financial adviser or CFO with your "$$$," great.  Me, Frank and OBz don't like him because he's a douche and he's rough ridin' with our K-State.

But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion.  :thumbs:

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »

@Trim

I see.

1) Frank had a little something to do w/that.  Frank has no history of taking some other dude's guys that he had nothing to do with, coasting on them for a little bit, and then failing. oscar does.

2) Yep, Weber built himself a nice safety net of a W-L record before torpedoing Illinois.

3) Sure.  Do not give a eff.  Frank has experience making us all happy and winning games here at K-State where it hadn't been done in a really long time, but that's not necessarily important under this regime.

4) You've been talking to Gene Keady haven't you?  Either way, why?  I'm K-State, and I think oscar Weber's a dork who, as rising star SPBT would say, can get mumped.

And I will mention I don't know who the eff you're talking about or what relevance that would have, which I see you acknowledged.  I don't like hoping, I like winning.  We had that.

If you're saying you think Currie would be a good financial adviser or CFO with your "$$$," great.  Me, Frank and OBz don't like him because he's a douche and he's rough ridin' with our K-State.

Haha, yeah, Gene Keady is a pretty smart guy.

The coach I was referencing was Jack Hartman.

Sooooooo... what makes you K-State...? Honest question.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »

@Trim

I see.

Haha, yeah, Gene Keady is a pretty smart guy.

The coach I was referencing was Jack Hartman.

Sooooooo... what makes you K-State...? Honest question.

I hate Gene Keady.  He deserves a fair amount of blame.

Oh, Jack.  A lot of us here know his granddaughter.  I bet she's against Currie on all this too.

My EMAW.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
I hate Gene Keady.  He deserves a fair amount of blame.

Oh, Jack.  A lot of us here know his granddaughter.  I bet she's against Currie on all this too.

My EMAW.

Gene Keady isn't the greatest coach. But he does know basketball pretty well.

I'm going to assume from now on that you are the embodiment of EMAW.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
Read it. You don't like Currie. Got it. You should have been more specific in you original comment, as there are many people who work at K-State that are not named John Currie.

i don't think i even posted in the thread.  you might want to reread it (being specific, trim's post, being more specific, who is kstate, who works for kstate and the distinction between them), as you evidently somehow missed the point.

I read it. Read the parts you are referencing. So you believe that one can only "be ksu" if they have a degree from there, correct? So you really think no one working in Athletics has a degree from ksu and wishes the best for them?

Your problem is with JC. I think it is misguided and weird, as I have said many times.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
Gene Keady isn't the greatest coach. But he does know basketball pretty well.

I'm going to assume from now on that you are the embodiment of EMAW.

I don't have an exact timetable down - it gets confusing with the trips to dallas airport hotels thrown in there - but he was def waving the towel for Frank out, oscar in before Frank was officially gone (there may have been a pretty solid understanding by Frank that he wasn't allowed back and would obviously be taking another position imminently) and as a K-Stater, he should've been doing everything in his power to see to it that the mistake was fixed before it was too late.  Instead, he advocated for his unemployed boy to get a job he doesn't deserve at the detriment of his alma mater.  Oh man, if there's some sort of "welcome back, gene" thing at a game this year...

FFF will always be the embodiment of EMAW, but I think quite a few people here carry enough of it to truly represent K-State.  Certainly much, much more than those who've turned their backs on it for their own gain or people passing through and using it on their way to perceived bigger things.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
FFF will always be the embodiment of EMAW

:thumbs:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
agree w/ everything trim has said. here's the deal with keady- he does not care about kstate. he doesn't. i know. he played fball at kstate 50 years ago but he does not and will not give back to the university in any way. like trim said, he got his friend a job. nothing more and nothing less. good for him, he's a good friend. eff him though because he's a shitty alum.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
I read it. Read the parts you are referencing. So you believe that one can only "be ksu" if they have a degree from there, correct? So you really think no one working in Athletics has a degree from ksu and wishes the best for them?

Your problem is with JC. I think it is misguided and weird, as I have said many times.

i don't think having a degree from kstate has anything to do with it.  i'm a townie and could give a eff about the athletics of the other universities i attended.  nobody is more kstate than the towniebred.

i don't think that nobody in the kstate ad wishes the best for kstate, i also don't think currie is the sole problem, perhaps not even the principle problem.  i do think he was principally responsible for not retaining one of the best coaches kstate has ever had, and i will never forgive him for that, nor should anyone else.  it is unforgivable.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
All I said is that I think oscar is a good fit for K-State. And that Gene Keady is pretty smart, and knows basketball.  I didn't make that connection. I agree with Keady that Weber is a good fit, but he isn't the reason I think that.

Honestly, I think Weber relates well to Kansans. I think he can relate to the players (granted, not like Martin could with Hispanic players). He is well spoken. He is an x's and o's coach. He talks about hard nosed defense. He seems passionate. He seems to care about more than just basketball.

I don't know. Maybe it's just lip service. Maybe he just reminds me of a lot of the coaches I admire in the way he presents himself. We'll find out.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
Honestly, I think Weber relates well to Kansans. I think he can relate to the players (granted, not like Martin could with Hispanic players). He is well spoken. He is an x's and o's coach. He talks about hard nosed defense. He seems passionate. He seems to care about more than just basketball.

I don't know. Maybe it's just lip service. Maybe he just reminds me of a lot of the coaches I admire in the way he presents himself. We'll find out.

:sdeek:

:flush:

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »

What about that would make him not be a good fit for K-State?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
All I said is that I think oscar is a good fit for K-State. And that Gene Keady is pretty smart, and knows basketball.  I didn't make that connection. I agree with Keady that Weber is a good fit, but he isn't the reason I think that.

well he wasn't a good fit for Illinois. they fired him. but then again they care about having a good basketball team so you might be right. he might be a good fit for kstate.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
well he wasn't a good fit for Illinois. they fired him. but then again they care about having a good basketball team so you might be right. he might be a good fit for kstate.

I have a friend who goes to Illinois and was pretty upset about Weber leaving. He says he's not the only one either.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »

What about that would make him not be a good fit for K-State?

Well, what are we talking about?

Relating to Kansans?  Like mingling well at Catbackers and stuff?  Frank was a hit at those things even among the most bigoted of the racists, so long as he won, and he did.  oscar didn't seem to be well-liked by his constituency and I don't think there's that much demographic difference between the two.  It was probably the losing.

Relating to players?  DNGAF about Will Spradling's feelings.  We're OK with having Hispanic players on the team here.  In fact, goEMAW is a prouds sponsor of La Hacienda (all of them).

Well-spoken?  LOL.  Somebody link the presser (edited version or our thread mocking it).  Or maybe just felix rex's sig.

X's and O's?  The ones he implemented to lead Illinois to crap with relatively talented players?

Talking about hard-nosed defense?  Sweet.  Talk your ass off, oscar.  I'll remember when we played it. 

Seems to care about more than just basketball?  I agree.  That makes him a good fit as K-State hoops coach?  I guess so under this AD.

We don't have to find out.  We've got records and video and accountings of how things went. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »

I have a friend who goes to Illinois and was pretty upset about Weber leaving. He says he's not the only one either.

Get them all to post here and/or pak with us in Chicago next week.