Author Topic: Speaking of oscar-ketball  (Read 51873 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of oscar-ketball
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
I would like to point out that anyone who wants to donate money in anger at oscar Weber or John Currie or really anyone is welcome to do so to the #fatty4ksu fund and we will recognize their donation as such.

Good call.  It goes to KSU.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
If/when BW starts to lose like Wooly did or whatever, then yes, by all means, start protesting with your wallets or show up with bags on your head. But to do so before he even has a half under his belt here, I personally don't get.

This also works to rationalize away any terrible hire.

"HOW CAN YOU KNOW HE'LL FAIL?!?  KEEP DONATING MONEY AND BUYING TICKETS*

* AT LEAST UNTIL HE FAILS, THEN FEEL FREE TO STOP"

supporting the team isn't a bad thing. 
go to the games, support the team, they win, everyone wins.
go to the games, support the team, they lose, things will change. 

this isn't rocket science.   we, k-state fans, have the most to lose by turning our backs and killing the program. not currie, not weber, not anyone else.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to go to basketball games because I want to watch K-State basketball.  Because it is something that I love. EMAW.  :kstatriot:
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
Guess what our public anger and criticism of Ron Prince did?

It helped affect change
Getting embarrassed by KU and Mizzou and Nebraska did more to affect change than your complaining when he was hired.

Results on the field/court is the thing that will matter most. BW hasn't had any results HERE to judge it yet. That's all I'm saying. You can have a bad feeling or disagree, that's great. have fun. But I really feel like a good number of you would not enjoy a Final Four appearance this year because you're worried about the 2014 season.

If/when BW starts to lose like Wooly did or whatever, then yes, by all means, start protesting with your wallets or show up with bags on your head. But to do so before he even has a half under his belt here, I personally don't get.

Sorry, I know we said we were stopping. Last little burst from me, promise.

to me it's a conditioning thing  and the weber hire gives the appearance that having a top notch bball team is not important. we just hired a similar school's reject loser. absolutely ridiculous and i won't reward that behavior just like i won't give my dog a treat if he craps on the floor or whatever. bad k-state. also, i'd enjoy the crap out of a final four and will be cheering big time for this basketball team this year while i watch on tv. go cats, ftb, etc.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
I support K-State and the people that work there.

the only way to support kstate is to not support the people that work there.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
I support K-State and the people that work there.

I don't even know what this means

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
Guess what our public anger and criticism of Ron Prince did?

It helped affect change
Getting embarrassed by KU and Mizzou and Nebraska did more to affect change than your complaining when he was hired.

Results on the field/court is the thing that will matter most. BW hasn't had any results HERE to judge it yet. That's all I'm saying. You can have a bad feeling or disagree, that's great. have fun. But I really feel like a good number of you would not enjoy a Final Four appearance this year because you're worried about the 2014 season.

Sorry, I know we said we were stopping. Last little burst from me, promise.

Welp, let's skip past the wallets and bags and go straight to the airplane banners. 

CC, I know you're smart enough to get it.  This has nothing to do with what's fair or unfair to oscar Weber.

Sooooo it has to do with Currie?   :confused:

Specifically the fact that the unprecedented fun of the last 5 years has been terminated and replaced with a Weber-type, and that Currie thinks you're all too stupid to be upset about it for a number of reasons the marketing think tank came up with, such as "Weber has more career wins than Frank."
I don't think Currie doesn't think people are upset about it.  People obviously are.  And I don't think the athletics department has ever once looked back and compared BW to Martin. Maybe the media has, but not the athletics department. I think he wants to promote the new coach as much as he can. If he thinks career wins is a selling point, he'll try to sell it. That's what K-State is paying him to do.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »
If/when BW starts to lose like Wooly did or whatever,

You know you should have finished that sentence with "like he did at Illinois."

i liked trim, pete and daris before currie ran off martin, but now i rough ridin' love them.  it's like one of those silver linings that some clouds come with.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »
My personal belief is that John Currie is COUNTING on oscar Weber's tenure at KSU to parallel his tenure at Illinois.

John Currie, with good reason, believes that Weber can win early....with Frank's players.  That will look good to have hired a "winning" basketball coach when you are searching for a new AD job...it "checks a box" on the resume.  I personally believe that John Currie is not concerned about what Weber's program looks like in 5 years.

My faith in those beliefs is quite steadfast.

My hunch is that John Currie actually believes that Weber will not succeed in the long term, but my belief is that John Currie simply does not care.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »
And I don't think the athletics department has ever once looked back and compared BW to Martin. Maybe the media has, but not the athletics department. I think he wants to promote the new coach as much as he can. If he thinks career wins is a selling point, he'll try to sell it. That's what K-State is paying him to do.

Read the nutpak thread.

Would you expect all people to be swayed by comparing career wins of a 14-year coach vs. a 5-year coach or just stupid people?

If somebody tried to convince you, a non-stupid person, that the 14-year coach is better than the 5-year coach because the 14-year coach has more career wins, would you be upset at the coach or the person condescendingly trying to make that argument?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
If I am not mistaken, he has not yet lost a game at K-State.

i think he's lost two.  and also got himself banned from coaching in a foreign country (surprisingly, for boorish behavior and not his nazi past, but then, it was brazil).

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:52 PM »
So let's say you are a regular at a restaurant that has been pretty good for the last 5 years, ever since they got a new chef.  He didn't always use the highest quality ingredients, but managed to put out quality meals, and the dining experience was always entertaining.  A few blocks east, there is another restaurant that is a little fancier and has a few more amenities and is in a better location.  The restaurant was really good when the chef there took over, but he has managed to run it in to the ground over the past few years.  The chef there uses better ingredients, but serves up crap sandwiches.  After the chef at your restaurant leaves over a disagreement with management and the chef at the restaurant to the east has been fired for poor performance, your favorite restaurant decides to hire the chef who just got fired for serving crap sandwiches.

Should you not voice your immediate displeasure with the decision to hire the bad chef, or should you bide your time for a few years to see if he has figured out to be a good chef?  Should you find a new restaurant?

Maybe you should burn your favorite restaurant down.
:adios:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
I guess you have to wait for the first crap sandwich.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »

[/quote]

yes you do.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »

yes you do.
[/quote]

I guess I'm dumb. Cuz I don't.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »
guys, let's not relive march

this board sucked bad enough the first time we did this.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
So let's say you are a regular at a restaurant that has been pretty good for the last 5 years, ever since they got a new chef.  He didn't always use the highest quality ingredients, but managed to put out quality meals, and the dining experience was always entertaining.  A few blocks east, there is another restaurant that is a little fancier and has a few more amenities and is in a better location.  The restaurant was really good when the chef there took over, but he has managed to run it in to the ground over the past few years.  The chef there uses better ingredients, but serves up crap sandwiches.  After the chef at your restaurant leaves over a disagreement with management and the chef at the restaurant to the east has been fired for poor performance, your favorite restaurant decides to hire the chef who just got fired for serving crap sandwiches.

Should you not voice your immediate displeasure with the decision to hire the bad chef, or should you bide your time for a few years to see if he has figured out to be a good chef?  Should you find a new restaurant?

Maybe you should burn your favorite restaurant down.

I would order the salad.  :thumbsup:

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
And I don't think the athletics department has ever once looked back and compared BW to Martin. Maybe the media has, but not the athletics department. I think he wants to promote the new coach as much as he can. If he thinks career wins is a selling point, he'll try to sell it. That's what K-State is paying him to do.

Read the nutpak thread.

Would you expect all people to be swayed by comparing career wins of a 14-year coach vs. a 5-year coach or just stupid people?

If somebody tried to convince you, a non-stupid person, that the 14-year coach is better than the 5-year coach because the 14-year coach has more career wins, would you be upset at the coach or the person condescendingly trying to make that argument?

Looked for the nutpak thread. Couldn't find it. Maybe I'm actually one of the stupid people.

I think that I would look at more than just career wins. I really don't know where you're getting that Currie is being condescending... but perhaps that was explained in the nutpak thread.

For whatever reason though, K-State fans are apparently pumped about this basketball season. Ticket sales are up, right? Maybe it's just overflow from people being pumped about football and buying football/basketball at the same time? Who knows. I am excited to find out what is going to happen though.

Sorry if I am drawing out a conversation that people don't actually care about.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
FTR, I fully expect a Final Four appearance next year.  Anything less and I'm ready to fire oscar before I see the next recruiting class.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »

well, you'll figure it out when you read the nutpak thread.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »
Looked for the nutpak thread. Couldn't find it. Maybe I'm actually one of the stupid people.

I think that I would look at more than just career wins. I really don't know where you're getting that Currie is being condescending... but perhaps that was explained in the nutpak thread.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=20435.msg533884#msg533884

For whatever reason though, K-State fans are apparently pumped about this basketball season. Ticket sales are up, right? Maybe it's just overflow from people being pumped about football and buying football/basketball at the same time? Who knows. I am excited to find out what is going to happen though.

Well, I bought season tickets and I hate this situation with all my heart.  But I am K-State just like Angel and JO and Rodney and Tay so I'm gonna go support those guys (K-State) doing their thing.  I guess I'm looking forward to seeing what those studs that Frank Martin routed to becoming K-Staters can do in their last go-round together.  No football tickets.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »

well, you'll figure it out when you read the nutpak thread.

Read it. You don't like Currie. Got it. You should have been more specific in you original comment, as there are many people who work at K-State that are not named John Currie.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
The easiest way for me to go about it and get excited about next season is to kind of concoct a mindset of "we don't have a basketball coach" and act like the players are just going out and playing for themselves. It's completely stupid, sure, but it's the only way I can get myself to want to watch the team at all next season. I guess I just figure that the acceptance phase will fall into place at some point.

Also, both sides have a point in this debate. There are absolutely good reasons to be pissed off--at JC, Frank, everyone--about how everything went down, and it's acceptable to vent that anger towards the people in charge. That said, constantly talking about it is gonna get old really quickly (and already has for some). Not sure how a happy medium can be established between the two sides, but it'd be great if we could find it.

go cats

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
The easiest way for me to go about it and get excited about next season is to kind of concoct a mindset of "we don't have a basketball coach" and act like the players are just going out and playing for themselves.

I've done this.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
Also, both sides have a point in this debate. There are absolutely good reasons to be pissed off--at JC, Frank, everyone--about how everything went down, and it's acceptable to vent that anger towards the people in charge. That said, constantly talking about it is gonna get old really quickly (and already has for some). Not sure how a happy medium can be established between the two sides, but it'd be great if we could find it.

good post 42.  I love the cats, you know?  everyone here does.  everyone's just trying to ftb in their own way.