Author Topic: Last 7 games - Jake Waters  (Read 10991 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: Last 7 games - Jake Waters
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
It's like, I love the idea of Sams.  I would love for a true dual-threat to recreate Bishop/Roberson/Klein.  But, the fact is that Sams isn't our QB, for reasons none of us will ever know.  Hopefully Sharp can be that guy in 2015

So, the only question IMO is whether Waters at QB and Sams at WR/RB/#2QB, can be a formula to delivering 9+ Ws in 2014.  I say yes.  Snake improved over the season and demolished Michigan with his arm and legs.  I'm optimistic.   

:nono:

Sams will be a senior in 2015.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
It's like, I love the idea of Sams.  I would love for a true dual-threat to recreate Bishop/Roberson/Klein.  But, the fact is that Sams isn't our QB, for reasons none of us will ever know.  Hopefully Sharp can be that guy in 2015

So, the only question IMO is whether Waters at QB and Sams at WR/RB/#2QB, can be a formula to delivering 9+ Ws in 2014.  I say yes.  Snake improved over the season and demolished Michigan with his arm and legs.  I'm optimistic.   

:nono:

Sams will be a senior in 2015.

Oh yeah.  It's gonna be tricky tho.  I doubt he can be the #2QB and, at the same time, a full time WR.  I imagine it's going to be kind of an either/or scenario.  I dunno.  so, if they convert him to WR in '14, does he then come back to QB in 15?  Seems unlikely. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Why is everyone so scared of making Sams a full time WR? It's the best scenario for everyone in the short term and long term given how enamored we are with Jake. What Sams needs is maximum reps at QB or none at all.

Just give up on this Sams at QB dream if you're unwilling to fully commit to it.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
FWIW, at this point, Waters is #14 nationally in QBR at this point between Braxton Miller and David Carr.

He could fluctuate a little bit up or down based on the next week of games, but because a lot of guys in front of him are graduating or going pro (i.e. Manziel, Bridgewater), he's probably going to be one of the best 5-7 QB's returning in 2014 based on QBR.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »

Who should be the QB for next year going forward, who knows, but after watching this bowl game I will go out and say I think Waters is the better option.

I've stopped looking at as 'who's the better option.'  We know which option the coaches have chosen.  And that doesn't appear to be changing. 

So, the only question IMO, is whether the Waters option will put us in contention for the Conference in 2014.   

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
Why is everyone so scared of making Sams a full time WR? It's the best scenario for everyone in the short term and long term given how enamored we are with Jake. What Sams needs is maximum reps at QB or none at all.

Just give up on this Sams at QB dream if you're unwilling to fully commit to it.

People are scared b/c they don't want to give up on the Sams @ QB dream. 

It's pretty obvious, he's changing positions tho.  So, yeah, they need to commit to this fully.  Make Ertz the backup.  I still think WR Sams could play the wildcat. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
FWIW, at this point, Waters is #14 nationally in QBR at this point between Braxton Miller and David Carr.

He could fluctuate a little bit up or down based on the next week of games, but because a lot of guys in front of him are graduating or going pro (i.e. Manziel, Bridgewater), he's probably going to be one of the best 5-7 QB's returning in 2014 based on QBR.

Umm.... according to espn he is #47 in adjusted QBR and #57 in raw QBR. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/player/split01/category02/sort02.html

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating

I see that you went for ESPN's total QBR.  I haven't dug into that yet.  I'll have to see what Football Outsiders has, too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:20:17 PM by Panjandrum »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »

Dude, that's passer efficiency not QBR

My bad.

catzacker

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »

I agree with this. however it puts us in quite the pickle in two  years.  Especially since the one of the "reasons" for Waters being QB will graduate too.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
I see that you went for ESPN's total QBR.  I haven't dug into that yet.  I'll have to see what Football Outsiders has, too.

I like the concept of QBR, but I put a bunch of links in another thread with legitimate critiques of ESPN's methodology in putting the ranking together.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »

I like the concept of QBR, but I put a bunch of links in another thread with legitimate critiques of ESPN's methodology in putting the ranking together.

I have just started getting into ADV stats in football.  There are a lot of really good team stats, but individual stats don't really work for me right now, nor do I know where to get really good ones.

That said, I always call PE Rating QBR in football because I'm lazy and don't care.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
God, I hope Ertz isnt our QB in 2015. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »
God, I hope Ertz isnt our QB in 2015.

He probably won't be.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »
Waters should be an absolute freak next year, he should have better targets. From my understanding Andre Davis is an absolute freak. Just a flat out speed demon should fill TripleEffingTs shoes and more. Deante Burton / Vernon Vaughn should be better then Toe and we will also have another burner in LeAndrew Gordon.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
Waters should be an absolute freak next year, he should have better targets. From my understanding Andre Davis is an absolute freak. Just a flat out speed demon should fill TripleEffingTs shoes and more. Deante Burton / Vernon Vaughn should be better then Toe and we will also have another burner in LeAndrew Gordon.

Better work on making Michigan the norm rather than the outlier.  Time to go to work.

Also, tighten up those TO's, son.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »

pissklams, confirmo?

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

pissklams, confirmo?

Can't confirm the reliability of the information.  But at a neighborhood gathering (co-worker attended), current player alluded that Ertz is a stud.  Might be what they need move Sams to WR/3rd string QB (not my words)  :cry:
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Online LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
I bet 4 more pages and some additional graphs/statistics should convince you of nothing. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »
I think the only way Sams plays receiver is if he lines up as WR for like, two plays per quarter and is still QB2.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
I think the only way Sams plays receiver is if he lines up as WR for like, two plays per quarter and is still QB2.
:thumbsup: Don't see a RS Sophomore starting in 2015, so Sam remains in his role but it expands.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »
Sams at QB in 2015(and 2014 if it was my decision).  Sharp in 2016, I want nothing to do with Ertz.  Dual threat studs>>> 2 star white pocket passers from Iowa with 0 FBS offers and one D3 offer or something.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2013, 02:36:55 PM »
Sams at QB in 2015(and 2014 if it was my decision).  Sharp in 2016, I want nothing to do with Ertz.  Dual threat studs>>> 2 star white pocket passers from Iowa with 0 FBS offers and one D3 offer or something.

Ertz played small HS football, so he was overlooked.

Granted, it was small high school, but he was a wrecking ball that scored a gazillion TD's and broke the Iowa state record for them in all classes.

I believe he was the Iowa Gatorade POY his senior year, as well.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »

Ertz played small college football, so he was overlooked.

Granted, it was small high school, but he was a wrecking ball that scored a gazillion TD's and broke the Iowa state record for them in all classes.

I believe he was the Iowa Gatorade POY last year, as well.

I'm listening.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »

Ertz played small college football, so he was overlooked.

I believe he was the Iowa Gatorade POY last year, as well.
  Sharp was too, at a higher level.  He looks like a more refined version of Sams.