Author Topic: Your boy Marcus  (Read 26711 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Your boy Marcus
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
Central KS is worse than Western KS. It includes Salina and Wichita. It's interesting to me that so many from Western KS want to be grouped with Salina.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2015, 11:23:38 PM »
Glad Marcus admits he stank this past year.  I wish he give up party dude mindset.  He best not fall asleep on the beach at Padre; he might get buried by a cat.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2015, 12:08:32 AM »
Glad Marcus admits he stank this past year.  I wish he give up party dude mindset.  He best not fall asleep on the beach at Padre; he might get buried by a cat.

Meaningless post. He's a college student entitled to go on spring break when thre are no mandatory or voluntary practices.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2015, 02:02:55 AM »
I liked when _FAN said him and the other ten people in his western KS town decided on where the dividing lines in KS were, and they just so happened to not include themselves in western KS. Holy lol.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2015, 07:33:45 AM »
I grew up in north central Kansas (almost straight north of St John). I think most people from the central part of the state divide the state into thirds. Western Kansas starts at a line that runs through Hays. JMHO.

:lol:

no way it's way east of that. we had this discussion in a bball chat, I believe. @tobias might remember.

We did, and solved it I think.  Basketball chat is very productive.

Yep and I won the debate, the western/central Kansas border is a straight line south to north from Barber County to Smith County. Dumbass Pawnee County messes the straight line up but there is no doubt Pawnee County is Western KS

http://www.filmkansas.com/s3.amazonaws.com/production.ksfilm.webapeel.com/ksfilm/assets/2011/2/17/1515/kshighwayscolorborderresize.png

You mean the western borders of those counties is the line, right?

I intentionally left that bit of info out because if I need to differentiate that for you it's a sign this conversation isn't one you should be involved in.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:04 AM »
Central KS is worse than Western KS. It includes Salina and Wichita. It's interesting to me that so many from Western KS want to be grouped with Salina.

There isn't a true western Kansan itt or in life who groups Salina into WKS, that's a NEKS trick, we know better.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »
Abilene. The only thing more western kansasy is Dodge City. Surprised this has not been pointed out yet.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
Hutch is really the enigma.  You can really only easily go places west from Hutch.  The Interstate ignored them for a reason.  They literally only got a four lane highway into town like 2 years ago.  They just don't fit the I-135/US 81 corridor and stick out like a sore thumb.

Yet its about the biggest KU hive west of Lawrence.  Thinking its a generational and collective attempt at transference to cover up their self loathing.

Offline kstatefan11

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
Abilene. The only thing more western kansasy is Dodge City. Surprised this has not been pointed out yet.

Gonna win 'em all!

Cowtowny ?Western Kansasy. Even their most notable restaurant is imported from the west, but even that's not really WKS. They're trying too hard. And do the words "presidential" and "library" belong in any WKS discussion?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!

Cowtowny ?Western Kansasy. Even their most notable restaurant is imported from the west, but even that's not really WKS. They're trying too hard. And do the words "presidential" and "library" belong in any WKS discussion?

Yeah, Abilene is like a western Kansas town that grew legs and walked east of Salina.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »
Hutch is really the enigma.  You can really only easily go places west from Hutch.  The Interstate ignored them for a reason.  They literally only got a four lane highway into town like 2 years ago.  They just don't fit the I-135/US 81 corridor and stick out like a sore thumb.

Yet its about the biggest KU hive west of Lawrence.  Thinking its a generational and collective attempt at transference to cover up their self loathing.

I'm no Hutch apologist, but that's literally not true. When I think of Western Kansas, I think of economies largely based on agriculture, and that's just not the case with Hutch.  I spent much of my childhood there, and I didn't know a single farmer and in fact never stepped foot on a farm (Did go to an emu farm for a field trip, once).  Whatever Wichita is, that's basically what Hutch is.  Wichita is our NYC, and we are northern New Jersey.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2015, 09:15:35 AM »

I spent much of my childhood there, and I didn't know a single farmer and in fact never stepped foot on a farm

He's used this as a brag TWICE now!

:D

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »

I spent much of my childhood there, and I didn't know a single farmer and in fact never stepped foot on a farm

It's an anecdote in support of my position.  Not bragging.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »

I'm no Hutch apologist, but that's literally not true. When I think of Western Kansas, I think of economies largely based on agriculture, and that's just not the case with Hutch.  I spent much of my childhood there, and I didn't know a single farmer and in fact never stepped foot on a farm (Did go to an emu farm for a field trip, once).  Whatever Wichita is, that's basically what Hutch is.  Wichita is our NYC, and we are northern New Jersey.

They were, back when interstate banking was prohibited, the financial center for farming.  Once that prohibition went away - they lost that identity. There's not much there that was thriving 40 years ago - salt production and ?

There just isn't anything that screams "This is Hutchinson"....

And K-96/US50/K61 to the west didn't build to Hutch - they stayed at arm's length several miles south so people could bypass Hutch.  It wasn't until K-61 north to - I-135 - and McPherson that a modern highway actually came in to Hutch.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »

OK

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »

I can support this being that I was there on that EMU farm that day. For lunch we had scrambled EMU eggs. The most western Kansasy thing that Spracs was ever a part of I reckon.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:03 AM »

They were, back when interstate banking was prohibited, the financial center for farming.  Once that prohibition went away - they lost that identity. There's not much there that was thriving 40 years ago - salt production and ?

And K-96/US50/K61 to the west didn't build to Hutch - they stayed at arm's length several miles south so people could bypass Hutch.  It wasn't until K-61 north to - I-135 - and McPherson that a modern highway actually came in to Hutch.

I wasn't aware of the banking history.  To me, salt is the only historical identity.  Then there's Dillons, the Cosmosphere, the State Fair, and the NJCAA tournament.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
I wasn't aware of the banking history.  To me, salt is the only historical identity.  Then there's Dillons, the Cosmosphere, the State Fair, and the NJCAA tournament.

The Cosmosphere has always been good.  Haven't been to the fair in ages.  I really hope the tournament stays around - that's been fun to attend the couple of times I've gone.  Did they get the requested improvements planned out and underway enough to extend the contract?  That truly is a nice thing to have.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »

I remember learning in elementary school that Hutchinson was given the choice between the University of Kansas or the Kansas State fair. They chose the fair due to its viewed profitability. The railroad industry also wanted to bring the railroad through Hutchinson but Hutch wanted nothing to do with those dirty cowboys from Dodge City so the railroad ended up going through Wichita. The history of Hutchinson is a list of missed opportunities that could have made it the biggest city in Kansas. Instead it is a nice restaurant and retirement community great for raising families.

Fair to note that there are many from Hutchinson who claim that it is the real version of Smallville. So it is the "home of Superman" as well.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »
Hutch is a farm community. There is farmland as far as the eye can see in every direction from that town. There is an entire Amish community right next door.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »

I remember learning in elementary school that Hutchinson was given the choice between the University of Kansas or the Kansas State fair. They chose the fair due to its viewed profitability. The railroad industry also wanted to bring the railroad through Hutchinson but Hutch wanted nothing to do with those dirty cowboys from Dodge City so the railroad ended up going through Wichita. The history of Hutchinson is a list of missed opportunities that could have made it the biggest city in Kansas. Instead it is a nice restaurant and retirement community great for raising families.

Fair to note that there are many from Hutchinson who claim that it is the real version of Smallville. So it is the "home of Superman" as well.

The Smallville thing and that (false) state fair v. University legend are both very good examples of the Hutch mentality.  KU was founded in 1863, a full 8 years before Hutchinson.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:31 AM »
So I guess all of this "western Kansas" talk is just filler crap in the "Marcus" thread until we hear if Marcus has left the team or picked up an std while in Padre?? :buh-bye:
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »

The Smallville thing and that (false) state fair v. University legend are both very good examples of the Hutch mentality.  KU was founded in 1863 1865, a full 8 years before Hutchinson.

:nono:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2015, 10:13:56 AM »
I meant when the bill was signed.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »
spracne, why didn't you participate in steve dave's farm thread?