Author Topic: Your boy Marcus  (Read 26396 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Your boy Marcus
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2015, 05:56:38 PM »
SE KS suprises with their showing in this 'gram

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »

I grew up in Western Kansas
pretty sure we all did.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »
Wellington sounds super west.  I mean, there is a beef dish with wellington right in the name.  Beef! 

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2015, 07:06:33 PM »
Geographically speaking,  Western Kansas is probably best defined by the High Plains which pretty much starts at Great Bend.   Great Bend is at 1850 ft. Rainfall also becomes much more scarce out west.  Rainfall at Great bend is about 26 inches a year.  Dodge City about 22, Goodland about 20.

Culturally,  The entire state of Kansas is very similar with the main exception of Lawrence which is very backward and ignorant of anything outside of extreme leftist ideology and college basketball.
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2015, 07:10:56 PM »
I love how people think Lawrence is some leftist Zion.  It's a town in Kansas that just happens to have a University.  It only appears liberal by contrast to the cultural wasteland that surrounds it.  It's still pretty damn conservative.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »
I love the fact that this turned into a where is western KS debate.

The other day in class my students, all at least 18 years old or more, babbled on about how where I'm from (born in MHK, family from Marshall County) must be a place where everyone owns multiple guns. They were serious. I told them that if we don't own guns we at least date our cousins.

From where I sit, the state is about 85% culturally western KS.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2015, 07:27:31 PM »
I grew up in north central Kansas (almost straight north of St John). I think most people from the central part of the state divide the state into thirds. Western Kansas starts at a line that runs through Hays. JMHO.

:lol:

no way it's way east of that. we had this discussion in a bball chat, I believe. @tobias might remember.

We did, and solved it I think.  Basketball chat is very productive.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
ALWAYS pleased to see some spirited WKS chatter.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »
I grew up in north central Kansas (almost straight north of St John). I think most people from the central part of the state divide the state into thirds. Western Kansas starts at a line that runs through Hays. JMHO.

no way it's way east of that. we had this discussion in a bball chat, I believe. @tobias might remember.

Yep and I won the debate, the western/central Kansas border is a straight line south to north from Barber County to Smith County. Dumbass Pawnee County messes the straight line up but there is no doubt Pawnee County is Western KS

http://www.filmkansas.com/s3.amazonaws.com/production.ksfilm.webapeel.com/ksfilm/assets/2011/2/17/1515/kshighwayscolorborderresize.png

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
I also want to know who it was that night in chat that insisted that Great Bend is WKS because it's "more Hays than Hutch." LOL I didn't mock that dumbass enough.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »
I also want to know who it was that night in chat that insisted that Great Bend is WKS because it's "more Hays than Hutch." LOL I didn't mock that dumbass enough.
Yes, I remember that.

I was firmly in your camp, BTW

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
What would you say is the cutoff of East vs. Central? like Salina or Manhattan?
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »
There is no cutoff in the north, the Wichita area is south central.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »

Culturally irrelevant

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
Western kansas is that part of kansas behind you as you watch the sunrise you illiterate idiots
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2015, 09:48:40 PM »
MIR's line is good and similar what I always thought. His opinion holds more weight than that of Easterners. I always thought of Hays as the Gateway to Western Kansas, at least along I-70.

_FAN's thirds and halves thing is pretty good too. If halves I-135 is a good divider, if thirds MIR's and/or Hays is good.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »
MIR's line is good and similar what I always thought. His opinion holds more weight than that of Easterners. I always thought of Hays as the Gateway to Western Kansas, at least along I-70.

_FAN's thirds and halves thing is pretty good too. If halves I-135 is a good divider, if thirds MIR's and/or Hays is good.

Hays, aka Highway 183 is not and cannot be the line. Wars have been fought over things less important than Larned and Greensburg. This is absolutely a non starter

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
Where do you guys draw the upstate new York line? Sleepy Hollow? Oh wait no its probably plattsburgh. Dumbasses

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Your boy Marcus
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2015, 10:00:54 PM »

Yep and I won the debate, the western/central Kansas border is a straight line south to north from Barber County to Smith County. Dumbass Pawnee County messes the straight line up but there is no doubt Pawnee County is Western KS

http://www.filmkansas.com/s3.amazonaws.com/production.ksfilm.webapeel.com/ksfilm/assets/2011/2/17/1515/kshighwayscolorborderresize.png

This is 100% correct. Hays was my rough divider, but MIR nailed it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »

You mean the western borders of those counties is the line, right?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2015, 10:20:49 PM »
lol @ this thread reemerging.

also lol @ either me or wade.  i just realized that st john is the town he's from.  i thought it was some prep school or something.  that's basically the same town my father is from.  he's prolly my cousin or some crap.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
lol @ this thread reemerging.

also lol @ either me or wade.  i just realized that st john is the town he's from.  i thought it was some prep school or something.  that's basically the same town my father is from.  he's prolly my cousin or some crap.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

Hays, aka Highway 183 is not and cannot be the line. Wars have been fought over things less important than Larned and Greensburg. This is absolutely a non starter

It was just the unofficial marker of where I felt like I was in Western Kansas traveling that way as a kid. Russell felt that way as well, but Hays is bigger.

Edit: Like I said earlier, you're a better authority on this issue. The unbiased take of a true Western Kansas is worth its weight in Buffalo Nickels (when they were worth money) in this convo.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:56:40 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kstatefan11

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »
I think the line bisecting Pawnee (the Line of DeMIRcation) is probably most accurate. I always used 281 as a divider, but _Fan is right in that there is a definite cultural shift which starts a bit farther to the west. I would still gerrymander that sucker to include Russell. Meridy's is pretty WKS.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
There are two parallel discussions happening, here.  The people who are still from Kansas but want to feel superior to the people who are also from Kansas are probably the losers either way, though.  Fortunately, I am not from Western Kansas. Lol, could you imagine?