Author Topic: felix rex moves to Cairo  (Read 258881 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #2800 on: September 14, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

the tourism area seems like a very "off road" type thing anyway

All Egypt is off road. Half of Cairo is. It's three hours from Cairo and ten miles from a very popular hotel. This is bad, and, to quote Colbert, "we've got our foot caught in the wood chipper and things are gonna get worse  before they get better."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: September 14, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »

The military used Apaches to drop airstrikes on an afternoon picnic in a very popular tourist area (I and most in my office have been there), then opened fire with ground troops on those that ran, then lied about it, then got exposed by survivors.

i read that the tourists went off the road a few miles in an attempt at a short-cut, because one of them was diabetic and needed to eat or something. is that the equivalent of jumping into the lion area at the zoo? i mean i'm just trying to imagine how they were mistaken for terrorists

No. This is normal. They were only 10 miles or so from the hotel. This was only 3 hours from Cairo. A diabetic said, "hey I'd like to eat" so the guides did exactly what every rough ridin' tour does for meal breaks and pulled off into a commonly used and scenic spot. There is no excuse for this.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: September 14, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »
I'm sorry. Rant over.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: September 14, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »
thanks for clarifying. sounds completely inexcusable and unfathomable

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: September 14, 2015, 01:56:27 PM »
I'm sorry. Rant over.

dont apologize. you are basically the only person here holding egypt accountable and scooping their scoops.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: September 14, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
what happened to that one guy's (daddy claxton?) granddaughter?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:04:41 PM by puniraptor »

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »
But aside from the fact that apaches were used to gun down at least one American, this is popular spot. We (my family, the Americans here, foreigners in general) go there regularly. It's like Fort Riley bombing the parking lots by the sheep pens and saying "well, we didn't know any non-terrorists would be there" and then you found out the people bombed had filed paperwork saying "we'll be there on this time and date and here's our vehicle tag info."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: September 14, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
 :frown:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: September 14, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty, but I can't think of any other examples of US civilians killed by US tech provided to foreign governments

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: September 14, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm angry. I am not easily "emotioned" to any degree by necessity. But I lost my crap today.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: September 14, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »

I'm sure there are plenty, but I can't think of any other examples of US civilians killed by US tech provided to foreign governments

Not killed. Injured. Like it rough ridin' matters.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: September 14, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
pardon my ignorance, who specifically supplied them with these weapons?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: September 14, 2015, 02:23:52 PM »

pardon my ignorance, who specifically supplied them with these weapons?

U.S. Tax dollars

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: September 14, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
Are survivors being allowed back to MX?  Assuming, they aren't in med units?   I mean, the truth will come out through other govt outrage, right.  I realize that is bad for US, but it's gonna happen, right?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: September 14, 2015, 02:36:20 PM »

Are survivors being allowed back to MX?  Assuming, they aren't in med units?   I mean, the truth will come out through other govt outrage, right.  I realize that is bad for US, but it's gonna happen, right?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes and yes.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
Tapatalk is now trying to sell me egyptian cotton sheets, duvet covers, and towel sets. 

Goddamnit needless airstrikes.  :shakesfist:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: September 14, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Tapatalk is now trying to sell me egyptian cotton sheets, duvet covers, and towel sets. 

Goddamnit needless airstrikes.  :shakesfist:

and hot arab singles

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: September 15, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
CNN's article on this:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/13/middleeast/egypt-tourists-killed/index.html

Was it confirmed that the American was part of the tour?  Seems like zero outrage for something like that happening. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: September 15, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »
Yeah. Seems not to have hit the Western press yet. It will be a crap storm when it does.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
From Egypt's flagship state newspaper: "Tourism Minister Khaled Ramy stated that one of those injured was American."

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/141441/Egypt/Politics-/Seven-Mexicans-among--people-killed-mistakenly-by-.aspx

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: September 15, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
Felix what is the average Joe reaction to this story?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: September 15, 2015, 01:14:25 PM »
Average Joe or Average Yussuf?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2823 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
Sad stuff there. Amazing that they thought everyone would simply comply. Guess the military won't leave survivors next time.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: September 18, 2015, 03:22:50 AM »
Has it seriously not hit the U.S. press yet that an American tourist was attacked with an American-supplied Apache?

The Mexican survivors returned home and are talking to the press, confirming that this wasn't a brief accident in the middle of the night. They were attacked during a lunch picnic in air strikes and ground ops that lasted at least three hours.

Meanwhile, Egypt's response has been to publish a letter in the Mexican press equating the incident to Mexico's drug violence and saying "we're still not sure if an error was made" while still not actually apologizing, then promising a transparent investigation before immediately issuing a gag order on the domestic AND international press, and finally publishing an even longer letter criticizing the New York Times for having the AUDACITY to suggest that, by dropping bombs and strafing foreign tourists and killing 12 and injuring 10 and then lying about it and LEAVING THE BODIES IN THE DESERT FOR OVER A DAY...Egypt might have mumped up.