Author Topic: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse  (Read 247206 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1375 on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »
Let's just hope the NCAA does the sensible thing here, which is nothing. Let the legal system handle legal matters. The NCAA should not be concerned with issues that give no competitive advantage.

trying to decide what does and does not give competitive advantage is not black and white.

This is very true, but I can't for the life of me figure out how Sandusky raping boys in the shower gave Penn State a competitive advantage. I don't think the coaches were using child rape as a selling point to recruits or anything.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
The NCAA is probably hoping like hell that Penn State steps up and does some self-imposed sanctions and acknowledgment of how mumped up this is, so they can roll with that.  PSU could come out and say that while these heinous sexual crimes by one individual are wholly unrelated to the football program, the incredibly poor handling of them are a result of football being the priority of the program for far too long, and as a result we're reducing scholarships by __, foregoing postseason, taking ourselves off TV for __ year(s), etc.

That'd probably appease everyone except the (legitimately and literally) butthurt victims, who will be suing the crap out of PSU.

Yeah, this is the best case scenario for everyone.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: July 16, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
Let's just hope the NCAA does the sensible thing here, which is nothing. Let the legal system handle legal matters. The NCAA should not be concerned with issues that give no competitive advantage.

yep.  people shouting "kill the football program forever!!!!!" need to be violated in a shower.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 16, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
The NCAA is probably hoping like hell that Penn State steps up and does some self-imposed sanctions and acknowledgment of how mumped up this is, so they can roll with that.  PSU could come out and say that while these heinous sexual crimes by one individual are wholly unrelated to the football program, the incredibly poor handling of them are a result of football being the priority of the program for far too long, and as a result we're reducing scholarships by __, foregoing postseason, taking ourselves off TV for __ year(s), etc.

That'd probably appease everyone except the (legitimately and literally) butthurt victims, who will be suing the crap out of PSU.

Of course, you now the NCAA is sweating blood over this thing, because the "angle" they have to go after Penn State is extremely narrow.   Based on what I've seen it rides on some very cryptic/open ended wording in the LOIC definitions.   

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 16, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »
The NCAA is probably hoping like hell that Penn State steps up and does some self-imposed sanctions and acknowledgment of how mumped up this is, so they can roll with that.  PSU could come out and say that while these heinous sexual crimes by one individual are wholly unrelated to the football program, the incredibly poor handling of them are a result of football being the priority of the university for far too long, and as a result we're reducing scholarships by __, foregoing postseason, taking ourselves off TV for __ year(s), etc.

Of course, you now the NCAA is sweating blood over this thing, because the "angle" they have to go after Penn State is extremely narrow.   Based on what I've seen it rides on some very cryptic/open ended wording in the LOIC definitions.   

Yeah, I think that's why a somewhat agreed "voluntary" resolution with some of the options I listed would be reasonable.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: July 16, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »

trying to decide what does and does not give competitive advantage is not black and white.

This is very true, but I can't for the life of me figure out how Sandusky raping boys in the shower gave Penn State a competitive advantage. I don't think the coaches were using child rape as a selling point to recruits or anything.

Hiding that boys were being raped so that your recruiting doesn't suck is the angle to take here.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 16, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »

Hiding that boys were being raped so that your recruiting doesn't suck is the angle to take here.

Or to keep a DC.   

That said, unless other stuff comes out, the NCAA should just set out a statement saying they plan to let all this come out in court and that they hate child rape.  5 or 6 yrs later after the courts have cooled down, they can do this without national emotion hanging over them.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
You have to admire Paterno, he was literally a full on dirtbag even as it burned.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Veteran Penn State football coach Joe Paterno began talks that resulted in a sweetened retirement contract in the same month that he testified before a grand jury in the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse case, and all members of the board of trustees weren't informed of the new package before the scandal engulfed the university, according to a published report.

Paterno and the university reached agreement on the amended contract that eventually totaled $5.5 million in August, months before charges were filed against Sandusky, but they began negotiating in January, The New York Times reported Saturday.

The amended contract, which was reported on by The Associated Press in April, included a $3 million career bonus if Paterno retired at the end of the 2011 season, as well as well as forgiveness of $250,000 in outstanding indebtedness and an additional $100,000 in loans.

The package also included access to a stadium box for his family for 25 years as well as parking privileges and access to on-campus hydrotherapy equipment for his wife.

The newspaper cited university records in saying Paterno first broached the idea of revisiting his contact in January, the same month he made a brief appearance before the grand jury, and some top university officials had also testified before the panel before the agreement was reached in August.

But the paper, citing "people with knowledge of the events," said details of the agreement were known to a handful of board members but not shared with the full board, which only learned about the lucrative contract when Sandusky was arrested in November and two university officials were charged.

Paterno then publicly announced he would retire at the end of the season in a statement that also told school trustees to focus their attention on other matters.

"I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can," Paterno said at the time. "This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Trustees, who agreed Paterno had not done enough to stop the abuse, fired him later that same day, a decision that was followed by rioting in State College. Paterno died of lung cancer in January at age 85. Sandusky is awaiting sentencing after being convicted of 45 counts of having molesting 10 boys over a 15-year period.

Paterno family attorney Wick Sollers told the Times on Friday that it was Penn State that proposed the lucrative retirement package, and that many elements such as the luxury box and use by Paterno of a private aircraft had existed in previous contracts.

Asked Friday if the university planned to try recover money from the Paterno estate, trustees chairwoman Karen Peetz said, "Contracts are contracts, and no, there's no plan to do that."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/07/14/joe-paterno-penn-state-abuse-contract.ap/index.html#ixzz20njZcu3L

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 16, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
"With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

I love this part. 

I mean, it's all too easy for us monday morning quarterbacks to villainize child rapists, but without the benefit of hindsight, we'd stand aside and let the rapings continue.  amiright?   

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 16, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »
yeah, in hindsight people always wish they had/hadn't done something bad they just got caught doing/not doing. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 16, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
yeah, in hindsight people always wish they had/hadn't done something bad they just got caught doing/not doing.

That's really the benefit of hindsight.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
14 yrs of hindsight provides even more clarity than a mere 1 or 2 yrs does, as well.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 16, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »
So, testified in front of grand jury then headed to the President to "negotiate" a $3.5 million buyout/retirement?

Dude had stones, and not just kidney stones.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1388 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:27 AM »

Or to keep a DC.   

That said, unless other stuff comes out, the NCAA should just set out a statement saying they plan to let all this come out in court and that they hate child rape.  5 or 6 yrs later after the courts have cooled down, they can do this without national emotion hanging over them.

The NCAA needs to wait until the legal system puts Curley and the other guys on trial.  If they start to roll over on each other, who knows what else could come out?

The part about not disclosing this so it wouldn't hurt the image of the football program (putting it as a competitive DISadvantange) is what they'll go after (if they do so).

The problem is that the NCAA is in a no-win situation.  Inaction is perceived as weakness, and whatever action taken sets dangerous precedent. No matter what sanctions the NCAA places on Penn State, anything short of the death penalty will be inadequate to a considerable number of people.

They'd be wise to say, "Look, we can't do anything until the criminal investigations are complete, so until all of this plays out, our hands are tied."  In that span of time, the DOE or someone else may step in and do their job for them.

Until Spanier, Curley, and Schultz get on the stand and start ratting each other out, the full truth isn't even out there.  Who knows what else they're going to find in those criminal investigations?  Those guys lied and covered up all sorts of stuff.  The Feds are going to get in there and tear it all apart, so let them do the dirty work and swoop in after several months, say you'll do your own investigation, and then just let Penn State negotiate their penalty with you.  If you're extremely lucky, the DOE and lawsuits will obliterate them to the point where your job is easy, and you don't really have to do anything.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 16, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
Until Penn State digs up Joe's body and burns it in a public square we should not rest

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 16, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »

Or to keep a DC.   

The NCAA needs to wait until the legal system puts Curley and the other guys on trial.  If they start to roll over on each other, who knows what else could come out?

The part about not disclosing this so it wouldn't hurt the image of the football program (putting it as a competitive DISadvantange) is what they'll go after (if they do so).

The problem is that the NCAA is in a no-win situation.  Inaction is perceived as weakness, and whatever action taken sets dangerous precedent. No matter what sanctions the NCAA places on Penn State, anything short of the death penalty will be inadequate to a considerable number of people.

They'd be wise to say, "Look, we can't do anything until the criminal investigations are complete, so until all of this plays out, our hands are tied."  In that span of time, the DOE or someone else may step in and do their job for them.

Until Spanier, Curley, and Schultz get on the stand and start ratting each other out, the full truth isn't even out there.  Who knows what else they're going to find in those criminal investigations?  Those guys lied and covered up all sorts of stuff.  The Feds are going to get in there and tear it all apart, so let them do the dirty work and swoop in after several months, say you'll do your own investigation, and then just let Penn State negotiate their penalty with you.  If you're extremely lucky, the DOE and lawsuits will obliterate them to the point where your job is easy, and you don't really have to do anything.

If Curley, Spanier and Schultz are anything like JoPa they will do ANYTHING to save their hide.  Including rolling over on each other and PSU.  It is every man for himself at this point.

Not that it changes the roll of the NCAA though.  It doesn't.  They are in a tight spot with a big precedent to set. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
I read that the BOT has agreed to not remove the Joe statues from the campus as it may upset the alumni that still hold joe in high esteem.  uy on radio this morning said that they did have an artist remove a halo that was above Joe's head in a campus mural, and add a blue ribbon to his label to show support for those abused.

Revising image as we speak.  That way future PSU'ers will see Joe as a supporter of those abused, rather than a guy that actively enabled kid rape.  I mean, I am fine with keeping murals and statues, but if they are going to actively revise them, they should somehow mention his pro-kid rape feelings. 

Maybe list his record in the stadium.  Something showing W's/L's during his tenure, and next to it show rapes vs rapes reported in a timely manner.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 16, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »

and next to it show rapes vs rapes reported in a timely manner.

that would look like the KSU v. ku football score.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 16, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »
Maybe a blue ribbon and Joe Pa mushing it's face.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 16, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
The NCAA should give PSU death penalty. Why?

BECAUSE THEY DON'T CONDONE CHILD RAPE. (i hope)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: July 16, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

It would be similar, but we rarely shut KU out.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »

Not a shut out.  I mean, he has a strong record at something like 14-1, but let's not get carried away.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 16, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »

Not a shut out.  I mean, he has a strong record at something like 14-1, but let's not get carried away.

Does it really count as reporting when you report it to your "superior" and then strong arm them into doing nothing about it, though?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 16, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

Does it really count as reporting when you report it to your "superior" and then strong arm them into doing nothing about it, though?

I would be fine with a 15-0*

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »

That's why you go to WV and burn some rough ridin' couches and just not get caught.