Author Topic: we had _____ and gave it away  (Read 17316 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: we had _____ and gave it away
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
Yea, I would agree that it was "we want to know who the new coach is ASAP so we can plan accordingly"

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
Hmm, projected starters were going to leave?  I would put my money on Angel, Upshaw and whom ever stayed averaging more than 60 points in actual non exhibition basketball games.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
I refuse to believe that Currie had 4 months notice then had to do a Dallas hotel room lock in to come up with Weber.  That would be such a huge indictment of his intelligence that he would have been eaten by a bear now.

I still think this was a panic, "anyone but Gottlieb that is now a real candidate" hire that was forced on him by his $50,000 buddy and Keady.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
I refuse to believe that Currie had 4 months notice then had to do a Dallas hotel room lock in to come up with Weber.  That would be such a huge indictment of his intelligence that he would have been eaten by a bear now.

I still think this was a panic, "anyone but Gottlieb that is now a real candidate" hire that was forced on him by his $50,000 buddy and Keady.

Either way, he looks very bad imo.  AD's should be prepared to lose a coach at any time and should have an idea of who to go to.  So if he was caught off guard, it wouldn't be worse than letting a handful of players force you into doing your job they way they want it done, but it would still be pretty bad.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
Does the fact that only 3 people called into the oscar Radio show raise any red flags in the AD?

Was this last night?  Cliffs?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
Does the fact that only 3 people called into the oscar Radio show raise any red flags in the AD?

Was this last night?  Cliffs?

trim's twitter.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
we had threads that didn't all end up being the same at the end of the thread and gave it away. 

I'm bummed you guys.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »
To be fair, it's extremely difficult for an adult in charge of a multi million dollar organization to be expected to contend with the resolve and will (heh) of a few 19 or 20 year olds. Because if anything, young adults know what they want and always stick to their decisions. Everyone knows that when young players threaten to transfer, they're already gone.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
CC, does the ath dept notice any feelings that kstate bball is being destroyed?

Are you asking if it is noticeable that a team performing poorly has produced fan complaints and requests for people to be fired?

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
To be fair, it's extremely difficult for an adult in charge of a multi million dollar organization to be expected to contend with the resolve and will (heh) of a few 19 or 20 year olds. Because if anything, young adults know what they want and always stick to their decisions. Everyone knows that when young players threaten to transfer, they're already gone.

Yes, I am sure it was extremely easy to change their minds. Clearly, ADJC just didn't even try! They're just kids after all!

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
So "important" players absolutely hated Frank and were going to transfer.  Yet they continued to play strong though and won a game in the NCAAs.

Weber's previous team absolutely loved him and were going to stay.  They tanked the season.

Frank leaves and we hire the guy who just had his team completely fall off a cliff. 

Awesome

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »
So maybe I am short sited, but why couldn't everyone called the players on their bluff?  I mean if they all did leave and Frank drew a huge amt of ire from the media, you could have just fired his ass for losing the team this season.  I mean, oscar would have left The College of Charlotte(or whereves) one season later, or Currie could have had another year to hire a better guy.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
So "important" players absolutely hated Frank and were going to transfer.  Yet they continued to play strong though and won a game in the NCAAs.

Weber's previous team absolutely loved him and were going to stay.  They tanked the season.

Frank leaves and we hire the guy who just had his team completely fall off a cliff. 

Awesome

You left out the part where we gave the guy we pay over $400,000 to oversee all of this a raise and contract extension.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2012, 03:48:35 PM »

Awesome

yeah, that's the worst part of the AD lie

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
also, here's the deal with the oscar weber hire... at some point in time, almost every kstate fan is going to want him fired. it is what it is. the difference will be at what point in time did they come to that decision. for some of us it took two seconds after learning he was the new coach. for others it might be at the end of this season. for even others, maybe three or five years from now. most of us will get there though and i don't think the people that decided after two seconds are any worse fans than those that chose to give him a chance before deciding or that the people that decided after one year are worse fans than those that took three or four to reach their conclusions.

I agree with this. I think the only fans we have who are horrible fans in this situation are the students who go out of their way to scan their tickets and then skip out on watching the team win, just so they can come back later and have a good seat to watch KU kick the crap out of us. If you are going to burn it down, burn it down. Nothing would send a better message than an empty student section for the KU game.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
CC, does the ath dept notice any feelings that kstate bball is being destroyed?

Are you asking if it is noticeable that a team performing poorly has produced fan complaints and requests for people to be fired?

Rereading it, that seems to be fairly literally what I asked, but not what I was going for.

I am more interested if the Ath Dept is using qualitative observations to determine the success/failure of bruceketball, or if we have to wait for the quantitative evidence to come through on an annual basis in the form of ticket sales, donations, etc.

Apathy is happening NOW but ticket sales arent going to prove that on your spreadsheet for a year.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
So maybe I am short sited, but why couldn't everyone called the players on their bluff?  I mean if they all did leave and Frank drew a huge amt of ire from the media, you could have just fired his ass for losing the team this season.  I mean, oscar would have left The College of Charlotte(or whereves) one season later, or Currie could have had another year to hire a better guy.

To be fair, this might have been Currie's plan. That plan doesn't really have any positives for Frank, though, so it makes sense why he would bolt.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »
This whole thing would be so much easier if there was a publicly known line of failure that wasn't acceptable that we could monitor.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: we had _____ and gave it away
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »

Yes, I am sure it was extremely easy to change their minds. Clearly, ADJC just didn't even try! They're just kids after all!

Well, yeah. It was actually pretty easy. Just let Frank go and poof!

Problem solved.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »
people stay stuff all the time whether they mean it or not and then don't end up following through for a million different reasons as well. i'm going to quit smoking. i'm going to start dieting and working out everyday. i'm going to leave my wife this weekend and then we can always be together. this hangover is so bad that i promise i'll never get that drunk again. ever.

so we have frank telling some buds that he's leaving back in january. who cares. maybe he thought he really would, maybe it was a negotiation play, maybe frank says a million ridiculous things a day that most people would just roll their eyes at and go back to doing whatever they were doing. then we have some players that say that they'll leave. maybe they will. maybe they won't. who cares. i don't believe that a whole team would do as well as this team did down the stretch if they were all quiting, but again whatever. none of it really matters to me.

what does matter to me is that the frank/currie situ was handled horribly by both sides from beginning to end and possibly/probably ended with currie telling frank that he wouldn't be returning. i really don't think frank had the choice to stay. so frank took the first job he could get and that was done. all the while, our job search seemed to focus mainly, if not solely, on one of the few coaches that should have been just absolutely unhireable. it just makes no sense. like, if you want to kick frank out then whatever i guess. but don't kick him out and then replace him with oscar weber. the combo was just indefensible.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:20:47 PM by rick daris »

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
This whole thing is just completely ridiculous.  I mean, good grief.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
I definitely believe that there is nothing at all Currie or any other AD could do to keep Frank at K-State longterm.  At no time, from the day we heard WVU was courting Huggins until the day Frank announced he was leaving for USC, did I ever think Frank was more than a one contract coach at K-State.   

That said, this transition was a total clusterfuck.  I do believe Frank, ADJC, the players, parents...everybody involved mumped themselves in the ass over the past year.  Could've ended up so much better for everyone.   

Now our program is at precarious crossroads and it is all in the hands of a guy who just turned a Porche into a Pinto.  If it horrifically crashes, I don't think it's going to be easy to put the pieces back together.  That falls squarely on Currie's shoulders.

BTW CC, can you devulge any other names that were on Currie's list?  Did you have a favorite?     

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
BTW CC, can you devulge any other names that were on Currie's list?  Did you have a favorite?   

lol. No list. He got his #1 and only contender.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
Now our program is at precarious crossroads and it is all in the hands of a guy who just turned a Porche into a Pinto.  If it horrifically crashes, I don't think it's going to be easy to put the pieces back together.  That falls squarely on Currie's shoulders. 

We are past the crossroads.  Currie stopped and asked for directions from 1 person, that person pointed him the direction of a no maintenance road to his failure best friend, and Currie blindly said "thanks" and made the turn.  We now can't get off the road for 2-3 years all while beating the crap out of our car on the shitty road. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
1. get sweet hotel in TX
2. hook up buddy
3. hang out for a few days
4. brunch
5. pool