Author Topic: Official P90X thread  (Read 33924 times)

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Official P90X thread
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »
Gave up basketball all this week to do crossfit  :surprised: unheard of for y-l_a....easy to get addicted to it. hopefully I get super ripped  :crossfingers:

good luck dude. i've been working out 3-4 times a week and just started a crossfit workout. hurts to breathe....

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2011, 07:30:23 PM »
You also need weights and stuff
How many pounds? one of each? I've got a 25 and a 10 right now. 

You're gonna need several different weights. If you don't want to buy a small weight set than you can just go get a couple bands. Bands are actually better for a lot of people's needs anyways.

are you talking about those big rubber band things with handles? Also if I am a skinny person but have no muscle definition and very little upper body strength what's the best way to gain some muscle? (hypothetically)
I'm purple down

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »

You're gonna need several different weights. If you don't want to buy a small weight set than you can just go get a couple bands. Bands are actually better for a lot of people's needs anyways.

are you talking about those big rubber band things with handles? Also if I am a skinny person but have no muscle definition and very little upper body strength what's the best way to gain some muscle? (hypothetically)

heavy weight low reps for adding bulk ( 6-8 reps instead of 8-12)
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
Took last week off, really missed it, so weird I hated it to begin with but now I'm addicted.
Will my hands ever recover from knees to elbows/pullups?
Im not going to be caught dead wearing lifting gloves(see fashion thread) and tape slips off.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »
have been slacking on my 20 pushups sometimes plan.  has turned into more like 20 pushups a couple times in a month.  maybe time to hire benja to personal train me.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »

Yes, you can even buy servicable ones at walmart. How skinny are you? Are you only interested in gaining some muscle? The best thing to do is just start somewhere, if you haven't done much lifting before, you'll have good gains at the beginning no matter what you're doing, really. If you really want to gain some serious muscle, start with the three major lifts (bench press, squat, and deadlift), buy some protein chowder, and stick with it. After the first couple weeks you can move on to other stuff.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 30, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
Took last week off, really missed it, so weird I hated it to begin with but now I'm addicted.
Will my hands ever recover from knees to elbows/pullups?
Im not going to be caught dead wearing lifting gloves(see fashion thread) and tape slips off.

Do you have a job where you shake hands a lot or something? If not, i wouldn't worry about your hands getting torn up, you'll grow some pretty crazy calluses soon anyways. Or, just wear lifting gloves, they don't look anymore stupid the half the crazy crap you do in crossfit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:14:14 PM by Benja »

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 30, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »
have been slacking on my 20 pushups sometimes plan.  has turned into more like 20 pushups a couple times in a month.  maybe time to hire benja to personal train me.

We will have to work on a routine... good news is, you're pretty far ahead of the curve with your years of rigorous pushup routines.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 30, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »

We will have to work on a routine... good news is, you're pretty far ahead of the curve with your years of rigorous pushup routines.

I'm pretty much the best eliptical'er at my gym too

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 30, 2011, 05:26:16 PM »

I'm pretty much the best eliptical'er at my gym too

Good, we can work with that. Now, next time you're on the eliptical, bring a 5-pound medicine ball with you, and hold it over your head while elipticaling and grunting super loud. Make sure there are lots of other people around at the gym and stuff. This is your first official task.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
no, denied

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
you're not really working with me here

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »
you really don't need the pull up bar but it's good.

also, you hook it into a doorway and bend your legs, i'm v tall (taller than sys) and it works fine.  v hard to do, makes arms big.

lol, but no. nice try though jackass.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

Yes, you can even buy servicable ones at walmart. How skinny are you? Are you only interested in gaining some muscle? The best thing to do is just start somewhere, if you haven't done much lifting before, you'll have good gains at the beginning no matter what you're doing, really. If you really want to gain some serious muscle, start with the three major lifts (bench press, squat, and deadlift), buy some protein chowder, and stick with it. After the first couple weeks you can move on to other stuff.

(Hypothetically) 6'2", 170 lbs, yes I want to gain muscle, I don't really care about the muscles that make you stronger, I just want the muscles that make me look bigger, I'll listen off the air
I'm purple down

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »

(Hypothetically) 6'2", 170 lbs, yes I want to gain muscle, I don't really care about the muscles that make you stronger, I just want the muscles that make me look bigger, I'll listen off the air

Ok, well that's it pretty much. I guess I should ask if you have access to a gym, but assuming you do, start off doing higher weights and lower reps of exercises like bench and deadlift that utilize a whole ton of your muscles at once. These types of exercises are easily the quickest way to gain mass. Basically, just start with the basics and as you start getting bigger your gains will get smaller and that's when you'll have to start doing exercises that target smaller muscle groups.

Oh, and you're almost the exact same size I was until about senior year in high school, so I know how much it sucks to be hardgainer, but if you do it right anyone can gain muscle.

Oh, and if you're really serious, go get some creatine, good protein, and a good multivitamin. Those three supplements are pretty much mandatory to get anything serious done.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
stevesie kinda inadvertently reminded me of this thread and also that I have been slacking on my love for you goEMAWrs.
thought Id let you mhk'rs know about this http://www.facebook.com/pages/K-State-CrossFit/131100270286690 there also giving away a free month and I may make an appearance  :fatty:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
btw extra incentive shirts are not mandatory  :D

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
lookin good yla

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
thanks sd next time youre in the wildest of wildcat country feel free to pm for wod or regular pak

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
Under 200lbs for the first time in 6 years  :D

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »
thanks sd next time youre in the wildest of wildcat country feel free to pm for wod or regular pak

YLA, where do you get your WOD from?  Is there some super secrety Crossfit hotline that calls you every night and gives you an encoded message that when deciphered explains tomorrow's WOD?  If this is the case, please start a fake twitter, have me follow it, then tweet out the WOD as you decipher it.  TIA.

I was looking for something that would simply give me the workout so that I could go do it on my own since the nearest Crossfit is like 35min drive away. 

TIA.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
http://crossfit.com/ I dont usually do these though unless its a named workout, usually do whatever the wod is at ahearn

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »
can also tweet or pm you some of the wods we do if you are being serious

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 24, 2012, 09:58:08 PM »
can also tweet or pm you some of the wods we do if you are being serious

am serious

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 25, 2012, 12:42:23 AM »
all of you 'tards doing crossfit will have some serious joint problems years down the road. I'm sure doing 30 kipping pull-ups makes you feel like a badass, but when you have to get both of your shoulders replaced in ten years, you're just going to feel like a dumbass.