Author Topic: Official P90X thread  (Read 34420 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official P90X thread
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
Some dumbbells

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
wouldn't hurt to have a set of bands too.

Currently on day 39 of P90x.  Kind of disturbed that I haven't lost any weight.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »
Gave up basketball all this week to do crossfit  :surprised: unheard of for y-l_a....easy to get addicted to it. hopefully I get super ripped  :crossfingers:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »

Currently on day 39 of P90x.  Kind of disturbed that I haven't lost any weight.

If you've done 39 days of P90 you've definitely lost a lot of fat, but you've also gained muscle, and muscle actually weighs more. It's rare to lose much weight with a workout like P90x that has a lot of weightlifting. I'd have to know more about your body composition to really give you good advice if you really want to lose weight. But if you're just a little overweight I wouldn't worry about it much because you're replacing fat with muscle which is the healthiest way to do it.

Try lifting lighter weights for higher reps and keep moving in between exercises to keep your heart rate up. do all the cadio and plyo stuff. If you're eating right you should definitely see some weight loss at some point.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
Do you need any equipment to do p90x tia

pullup bar.

tv and a floor.
Will you need a pullup bar if you can't complete a single pullup? tia.

are you completely anti-pullups or have you thought about getting batter at them?
No, i'm pro-pull up, just can't do one.  I haven't tried in quite awhile though.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
You also need weights and stuff
How many pounds? one of each? I've got a 25 and a 10 right now. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »

is one of your arms much bigger than the other?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »

is one of your arms much bigger than the other?
:lol:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »

pullup bar.

tv and a floor.

are you completely anti-pullups or have you thought about getting batter at them?
No, i'm pro-pull up, just can't do one.  I haven't tried in quite awhile though.

The easiest way to get better at pullups is to lose weight. It's completely a strength-to-weight ratio issue. If you can't do one at this point I'd guess your first step should be cardio and toning anyways. There's also several workouts you can do that work most of the same muscle a pullup does that you can do to strengthen your back some.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »

pullup bar.

tv and a floor.

The easiest way to get better at pullups is to lose weight. It's completely a strength-to-weight ratio issue. If you can't do one at this point I'd guess your first step should be cardio and toning anyways. There's also several workouts you can do that work most of the same muscle a pullup does that you can do to strengthen your back some.

Yep, back in high school conditioning class I was a bad ass at pullups my freshman year when I was a scrawny little twig, but after I put on tons of muscle/strength I became way worse at pullups.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2011, 09:54:14 AM »
I am really good at dips but suck at pullups.  how the f is that possible?  :dubious:

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »

Currently on day 39 of P90x.  Kind of disturbed that I haven't lost any weight.

If you've done 39 days of P90 you've definitely lost a lot of fat, but you've also gained muscle, and muscle actually weighs more. It's rare to lose much weight with a workout like P90x that has a lot of weightlifting. I'd have to know more about your body composition to really give you good advice if you really want to lose weight. But if you're just a little overweight I wouldn't worry about it much because you're replacing fat with muscle which is the healthiest way to do it.

Try lifting lighter weights for higher reps and keep moving in between exercises to keep your heart rate up. do all the cadio and plyo stuff. If you're eating right you should definitely see some weight loss at some point.

Didn't really need to lose much weight -- 5'10 @ ~170 lbs.  Wouldn't have minded losing 10 lbs or so, but I was surprised that I after working out 6 days a week I hadn't seen any weight change at all.  At the 30 day mark, hips and waist went down by 1/2", but arms, legs & chest grew by 1/2".

Haven't tried the diet at all though.

pullup bar.

tv and a floor.

Just get a set of bands with a door piece.  I couldn't do any on day 1, but the bands somewhat replicate the move.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »
I am really good at dips but suck at pullups.  how the f is that possible?  :dubious:

Well, they're both body weight exercises but they use completely different muscle groups. Your chest is probably just stronger than your back, which is true for 95% of people that don't live in a gym.

The thing about pullups is that a lot of people suck so bad at them at first because they require muscles that most people have never worked out before. The best way to get stronger at pullups is to just do assisted pullups. or stand with one leg on a chair and pull yourself up. The important thing is to keep working these back muscles, because if you only workout your chest you can pretty easily get an imbalance going, which can hinder muscle growth, cause injuries and over time cause back pain and alignment issues.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »

Well, they're both body weight exercises but they use completely different muscle groups. Your chest is probably just stronger than your back, which is true for 95% of people that don't live in a gym.

The thing about pullups is that a lot of people suck so bad at them at first because they require muscles that most people have never worked out before. The best way to get stronger at pullups is to just do assisted pullups. or stand with one leg on a chair and pull yourself up. The important thing is to keep working these back muscles, because if you only workout your chest you can pretty easily get an imbalance going, which can hinder muscle growth, cause injuries and over time cause back pain and alignment issues.

hmmmm, probably much stronger in the chest due to my intensive routine of doing 20 pushups sometimes

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »

Currently on day 39 of P90x.  Kind of disturbed that I haven't lost any weight.

Didn't really need to lose much weight -- 5'10 @ ~170 lbs.  Wouldn't have minded losing 10 lbs or so, but I was surprised that I after working out 6 days a week I hadn't seen any weight change at all.  At the 30 day mark, hips and waist went down by 1/2", but arms, legs & chest grew by 1/2".

Haven't tried the diet at all though.

You sound like you're doing everything totally right. 170 lbs for a 5'10 guy is a very healthy weight. You're body knows what it's doing. Probably your only problem before working out was body composition; a lot more of that 170 lbs was made up of fat rather than muscle than it is now. And body comp is a lot more important than just simply weight, which for a guy your size shouldn't be a concern anyways. Muscle gains tend to start leveling out after the first few weeks so you might lose some weight then because you'll still be burning fat but not getting as much rapid muscle gains. You'll probably notice a little more toning going on, just about everyone does during this point.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2011, 10:29:08 AM »

hmmmm, probably much stronger in the chest due to my intensive routine of doing 20 pushups sometimes

now just add doing like six pullups sometimes to that routine and bam, hello perfect balance.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
no pullup bar at my house and I'm not leaving the safe cardio area of my gym to go over to the beefcake side of the gym where the pullup bars are.  no sir. 

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »
Well you sound pretty set with that pushup routine you were talking about so I'd just stick with that. Maybe try to like go out in the garage and lift a heavy box with your back every once in a while just so your bulging chest muscles aren't slowly pulling your vertebrae apart.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
I'm down 20 lbs since Christmas, and put on muscle. Never used p90x or anything. At least p90x is good motivation for some people.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
I can do a pull up with a leg band. (assisted pull up)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 08, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
Well you sound pretty set with that pushup routine you were talking about so I'd just stick with that. Maybe try to like go out in the garage and lift a heavy box with your back every once in a while just so your bulging chest muscles aren't slowly pulling your vertebrae apart.

no pain, no gain

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 08, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »

You're gonna need several different weights. If you don't want to buy a small weight set than you can just go get a couple bands. Bands are actually better for a lot of people's needs anyways.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »

no pain, no gain
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 08, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »
Mods, make Benja official goEMAW personal trainer.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 08, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »
Mods, make Benja official goEMAW personal trainer.

Would be a great resume builder for me.