Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006587 times)

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4775 on: December 19, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »
did anyone else buy a Coin?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »
doesn't make sense for me.  I only ever use 2 or 3 cards at any one time.  did you get one?  sounds like everyone that got one thinks they're garbage.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »
Going to be putting an assload each month on a card for the foreseeable future.

will some of your spend be on travel?  if so, you can effectively get 2% cash back on the cap one card.  i think the newish barclays is the same, but i can't swear to it.  there may be others, dunno.

you might be able to do a little better than 2% with one of the chase cards if a lot of your spend falls into the bonus categories.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: December 19, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »
I charge 30k a month, what card should i get, no travel charges really.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: December 19, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
I charge 30k a month, what card should i get, no travel charges really.

what categories will the spend be on and what do you want (cash, miles, points, etc)?

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Gasoline, fleet vehicle maintenence mostly, up to now i have redeemed for pro v1's and airfare, but it seems like a $400 ticket still ends up costing $100-150, am i doing this wrong?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: December 19, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »
Gasoline, fleet vehicle maintenence mostly, up to now i have redeemed for pro v1's and airfare, but it seems like a $400 ticket still ends up costing $100-150, am i doing this wrong?
omg yes.  way wrong.  get the ink and put all your business expenses on that.  at 30k/mo. you should be able to fly just about anywhere you want to on southwest or united.  if you want, you can get the spg biz too and split up your spending to diversify your points.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: December 19, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
What is the ink, also needs to be a strategy i can stick with, too much of a hassle to switch cards all the time, how often will i be earning $5-600 air tickets?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: December 19, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »
What is the ink, also needs to be a strategy i can stick with, too much of a hassle to switch cards all the time, how often will i be earning $5-600 air tickets?
chase ink plus and (if you want) spg amex business.  just put different purchases on each card, i.e. fuel on one and maintenance on the other or something.

it's not a direct dollar per point deal so impossible to tell you how often you could earn exactly that much in airfare, but each point is worth roughly 1.5 cents in airfare (depending on a lot of things).  so about every month and a half I guess.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: December 20, 2013, 06:58:25 AM »

will some of your spend be on travel?  if so, you can effectively get 2% cash back on the cap one card.  i think the newish barclays is the same, but i can't swear to it.  there may be others, dunno.

you might be able to do a little better than 2% with one of the chase cards if a lot of your spend falls into the bonus categories.

Nope. Nothing that would be a bonus category. I just figure with the freedom, I'd get the random bonuses for other purchases each quarter for my other spending, then like I said, just get the Preferred if I'm going to take a trip and convert to that. Should I just get the preferred and call it a day?  I think I would rack up more spending points with Freedom and no annual fee, but I guess the preferred offers bonuses so it may be better to just get that and not deal with transferring points?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #4785 on: December 20, 2013, 08:43:11 AM »

Nope. Nothing that would be a bonus category. I just figure with the freedom, I'd get the random bonuses for other purchases each quarter for my other spending, then like I said, just get the Preferred if I'm going to take a trip and convert to that. Should I just get the preferred and call it a day?  I think I would rack up more spending points with Freedom and no annual fee, but I guess the preferred offers bonuses so it may be better to just get that and not deal with transferring points?
Get the freedom and the preferred, transferring points from your freedom to your preferred account takes literally 2 seconds and is not a hassle at all.
I'm purple down

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
I guess that's my question. I really don't need the preferred unless I want to travel and use it as a conduit to transfer/use points for said travel. I'll prob just cancel my non preferred Sapphire, get the Freedom to use as my everyday since I should get more points using the Freedom than the non preferred, and then if I decide I want to fly somewhere that I want to use points for, get the preferred.

Getting that 100k non preferred offer was awesome but it appears that card is pretty woof now that I have looked into it.

Thanks friends

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: December 21, 2013, 07:40:33 AM »
doesn't make sense for me.  I only ever use 2 or 3 cards at any one time.  did you get one?  sounds like everyone that got one thinks they're garbage.
I don't think anyone has one, so. . .

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: December 23, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »
Make your Hyatt award bookings for the coming year soon. The devaluation kicks in 1/7. Just booked the Andaz Napa at 18k for a few nights in July.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: December 23, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »
 Uber Car Service (Private Taxi) Free $50 First Ride Promo Code
Sign up for Uber car service and get $50 off your first ride! Uber is an app-driven private car/taxi service that uses different rates contingent upon your choice of vehicle, their rates are great. This will not work for active account holders, new only.

https://www.uber.com/go/dineLAw1

Promo code: dineLAw1

Not sure when the promo code expires but the promo credit expires 12/18/14,

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: December 25, 2013, 11:14:32 PM »
cool, thanks mikey.  just signed up.  makes sense after looking at code but FYI is for Los Angeles only

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: December 26, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
there's this tho: http://local.amazon.com/columbus/B00H7K5E0W?tag=dealnewscom

steve dave, pm me your über referral link, I forgot to give you a referral on the spg card so I owe you one, and I just moved to dallas so I can now über.
emaw

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: December 29, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »
Some people on the airport rental car shuttle bus were talking really dumb about their credit cards and points programs and how much their flights had been and I wanted to set them straight or give them a link to this thread but seems nothing good comes from chatting up strangers on the rental car shuttle bus.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: December 30, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
Booked flight to Phoenix at end of Jan for the Phoenix open and a little golf with some buds probably 4 months ago.  Was checking today to see if I could convince another guy to come and noticed the points requirement had dropped lower than it was months ago during one of their "sales".  Went ahead and "changed" my flight for the trip there to the same exact flight and they refunded me 2,400 points on the spot. 

Something to keep an eye on.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: December 30, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: December 31, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »
there's this tho: http://local.amazon.com/columbus/B00H7K5E0W?tag=dealnewscom

steve dave, pm me your über referral link, I forgot to give you a referral on the spg card so I owe you one, and I just moved to dallas so I can now über.

crap, just saw this. Here it is for everyone!  :excited:

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=896.msg888112#msg888112

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: December 31, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »
so i just got a pretty substantial promotion within my company and around april/may will begin traveling nationwide every, single, week. warm up the mega points my friends!

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: December 31, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-things-not-buy-2014-124030371.html

Apparently the columnist needs a link to this thread

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: December 31, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
so i just got a pretty substantial promotion within my company and around april/may will begin traveling nationwide every, single, week. warm up the mega points my friends!

that is exciting news blast! all over the country or focused on a particular region or what?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: December 31, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »

that is exciting news blast! all over the country or focused on a particular region or what?

tbd. typically to a particular city/region for months at a time but i have been informed in this case it could start out as an all over the place for shorter durations kind of thing. we shall see.