Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002802 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4750 on: December 12, 2013, 08:03:54 AM »
man, one world is getting awesome'r and awesome'r with US joining and this BA news.

current OneWorld member (and US as of March) point totals:

AA: 282K
BA: 116K
US: 189K

the number of BA miles you still have and even the number of AA miles is pretty amazing to me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: December 12, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
man, one world is getting awesome'r and awesome'r with US joining and this BA news.

current OneWorld member (and US as of March) point totals:

AA: 282K
BA: 116K
US: 189K

the number of BA miles you still have and even the number of AA miles is pretty amazing to me.

I transferred a ton of amex membership rewards point to BA before I cancelled the card. I was down to about 0 before that.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: December 12, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
Finally took the time to research the dif between Sapphire and Sapphire preferred. Basically the reg points aren't transferable to anything. This isn't a big deal to me since I don't use points for travel all that often, but what if I want to someday, you know? Couple quick questions:

1) If I get the preferred do I churn it or pay the annual fee since that seems to be the most universal card?
2) I am canceling my MR with my corp Amex due to not traveling as much for work anymore. Where should I transfer these points? Or should I just get some gift cards and call it a day?  I have no upcoming travel plans or anything, but would like to stash them in the best place possible, specifically flight related in case I decide to take a trip. I have no need for hotel points.

TIA

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: December 12, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
a) you can't churn it. I use it for about everything. I keep it.
2) BA

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
2) BA

So you use that card as your "everyday" card when not getting to other spending limits and just pay the annual fee each year?  I thought we weren't supposed to pay annual fees?

I'll look up what BA is. Thanks, you guys are the best.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: December 12, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
2) BA

So you use that card as your "everyday" card when not getting to other spending limits and just pay the annual fee each year?  I thought we weren't supposed to pay annual fees?

I'll look up what BA is. Thanks, you guys are the best.

yes, I don't really churn a lot of cards. I put most spending on the sapphire. I keep it and pay the fee.

BA is british airways.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: December 12, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »
That is what I figured BA was. I'll assume that is a good place to stash due to partnerships and stuff with other airlines?

Kind of mad about my Sapphire sitch. In the end, it was a sweet deal since I got the 100k to sign up, but had I known the points weren't transferable, I should have ditched it a while ago.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: December 12, 2013, 11:22:27 AM »
That is what I figured BA was. I'll assume that is a good place to stash due to partnerships and stuff with other airlines?

Kind of mad about my Sapphire sitch. In the end, it was a sweet deal since I got the 100k to sign up, but had I known the points weren't transferable, I should have ditched it a while ago.

Do you have preferred? I have freedom and preferred. I transferred my freedom points to preferred and then transferred them out of preferred. Probably works the same way...?

EDIT: assuming you can get regular sapphire and preferred. I think I read somewhere you can.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:36 AM »

Do you have preferred? I have freedom and preferred. I transferred my freedom points to preferred and then transferred them out of preferred. Probably works the same way...?

EDIT: assuming you can get regular sapphire and preferred. I think I read somewhere you can.

That is prob what I will do. I don't see why I couldn't get the preferred too since it has an annual fee I'll prob just keep both since I've had the reg a while for credit score purposes if that even matters.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: December 13, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
interesting program. I would never do it.

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingarea.com/my-brilliant-frugal-friend-is-at-it-again/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=my-brilliant-frugal-friend-is-at-it-again#sthash.T2pfvcR6.dpbs

https://flightcar.com/

I would if I had a beater that no one would want to rent...

that would actually be hilarious. if you travelled constantly it would almost be worth buying some filthy beat up POS to just get free parking all the time.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
interesting program. I would never do it.

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingarea.com/my-brilliant-frugal-friend-is-at-it-again/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=my-brilliant-frugal-friend-is-at-it-again#sthash.T2pfvcR6.dpbs

https://flightcar.com/

I would if I had a beater that no one would want to rent...

that would actually be hilarious. if you travelled constantly it would almost be worth buying some filthy beat up POS to just get free parking all the time.

or a Pontiac Aztek.      No, no, still not worth driving an Aztek.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: December 13, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
I may try this. SFO parking is pretty expensive.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
I'm going to go rent rusty's sled and do burnouts in the parking lot for an hour

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: December 16, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
took uber to the airport this morning and out on Saturday night. i would highly recommend it for simplicity if nothing else...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: December 16, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
took uber to the airport this morning and out on Saturday night. i would highly recommend it for simplicity if nothing else...

I noticed  :fatty:  :thumbsup:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: December 16, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »

:Wha: did i get you free moneys steve dave?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: December 16, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »

:Wha: did i get you free moneys steve dave?

$10 in uber credit  :Woohoo:

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: December 17, 2013, 10:32:16 AM »
Got my 50k united chase offer in the mail.

So in 4 months i'll have

50k southwest miles (feel like this is a waste because i didn't know about the palau trip)
52k from chase sapphire (40k bonus at 3k, with added bonus points)
50k from United chase

All before February.

So it'll be roughly 102k miles enough to get a round trip to palau i guess.  Does anyone have an idea what business select will be (after point de-value)?  Might grab a chase Ink or something if it's doable in 2 months.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
I would get the business southwest card too if you're getting the regular one.  Would nearly get you to companion pass levels.  50K gets your 50K but 110K gets you 110K + BOGO tickets for about 2 years (assuming you get to 110k early in 2014)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: December 19, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Going to be putting an assload each month on a card for the foreseeable future. As I have said before travel rewards are that useful since I don't travel much and I already could move into a Marriott for 37 years if I wanted, but it is nice to have the option along with gift cards if I choose to do that. Should I use my Sapphire non preferred which will give me a bunch of non transferable points that I can use for gift cards and stuff or should I get the preferred and get a bunch of transferable points that I can use for gift cards or travel if I so choose?  Was also thinking of a decent cash back card since this new expense is going to dent my disposable income pretty hard, but those cards aren't as much fun and I know everyone here hates them.

Tia

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: December 19, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »
it's pretty simple, unless you're trying to rack up points for a specific trip or chasing card bonuses, your everyday spend should go on either a chase ultimate reward card (freedom, sapphire or ink) or an spg card depending on which programs you value the most.  that info is assuming you're collecting points for travel.  if you're interest in cash back, you'll probably need to start another thread and/or prepare to pi'd.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: December 19, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
Prob getting the Freedom to rack up points and get the quarterly bonuses, then if I decide to take a trip, I'll get the Preferred and transfer/convert all the points so that I can max travel.