Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004750 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4500 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
Any idea if I can get the Sapphire Preferred if I just have the regular Sapphire?  I didn't know the non preferred even existed until it showed up in my mailbox with a 100k offer.  I use it mainly for meals at 2x points. 

TIA
:horrorsurprise:

Threw it away at first too.   :horrorsurprise:

yeah, close call. I got 100k when I got the card originally but there was a very short window for it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: October 21, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »
so these marriott travel packages are a great deal, right?  unless I'm missing something they appear to be the best way to use marriott points. whenever I rack up a few hundred thousand points I'm doing that.

decent option, if only because United miles are worth much more than Marriott points. You don't really save many points (by actual number of points, not value) though. I mean, say you book a normal cat. 7 reward stay of 7 nights. it's either going to be 210k marriott points or 180k if low level (points saver) award. you get the 5th night free on either option on a normal booking.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
emaw

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: October 25, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »
hyatt card plat status appears to kick in upon activation.  I got the card today, logged into hyatt and I was a gold member.  activated the card online and went back to hyatt and refreshed and I was a platinum member.  then linked to mlife and now I'm gold with them.  pretty sweet!  grand hyatt kauai here we come  :cool: and hopefully it gets me a room upgrade at the aria in feb  :crossfingers:
emaw

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: October 25, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
hyatt card plat status appears to kick in upon activation.  I got the card today, logged into hyatt and I was a gold member.  activated the card online and went back to hyatt and refreshed and I was a platinum member.  then linked to mlife and now I'm gold with them.  pretty sweet!  grand hyatt kauai here we come  :cool: and hopefully it gets me a room upgrade at the aria in feb  :crossfingers:

Check Cyber Monday for deals at the aria if you can cancel.  I got a helluva deal on a suite there last year

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: October 25, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »

Check Cyber Monday for deals at the aria if you can cancel.  I got a helluva deal on a suite there last year

hmm might do that.  I booked through the VIP line because I had an offer from them and got a standard room for $79/nt, so that's pretty good, but I'll check it out.  thx.
emaw

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: October 25, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »
Are any of you guys currently doing some manufactured spending through Amazon Payments by chance?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: October 25, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
no but i have few delta and united points id gladly trade for sw points  :crossfingers:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: October 25, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
no but i have few delta and united points id gladly trade for sw points  :crossfingers:

I may be able to trade some United/Delta points for SW points...going on a honeymoon this next year (international) so the 150k SW points I have won't do me any good...

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: October 25, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
Are any of you guys currently doing some manufactured spending through Amazon Payments by chance?

yes

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: October 26, 2013, 08:15:05 AM »

no

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: October 26, 2013, 08:15:21 AM »

You can't

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: October 26, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »
That 100k plat Amex is a pretty good offer and comes with a ton of perks. Worth the $450 fee if used properly.

How would someone use this card properly? Trying to decide if it's worth it, and I don't really know anything about AmEx bonuses except that you got a bunch of free wine with it once.

Also plains is great. Kids from there are super good-smelling studs who basically run Meade HS. Rumor has it Meade consolidated schools so they could poach Plains studs for the fb team.

:cheers:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: October 27, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »
Maybe a dumb question, but can you transfer amex/member rewards points to someone else?  Those dicks stopped offering Best Buy gift cards and that is what I normally use the points for at 10k/$100.  Since they aren't offering those anymore and someone wanted to offer me $100 for 10k, can this happen?  I doubt it, but figured you doodz would know. 

Thanks

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: October 30, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
50k hilton honors with 1000$ spend. is 50k HH good for alot? spend is easy enough so i will do it regardless.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: October 30, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »
50k hilton honors with 1000$ spend. is 50k HH good for alot? spend is easy enough so i will do it regardless.

Hilton sucks now, but I will likely churn anyways because of the spend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »

no, that sucks. I have about 200k worthless HH points right now and I'm pretty pissed about it. 50k used to get you a night at any Hilton in the world other than some waldorf astorias. Now it will only get you half a night at higher level Hiltons. They devalued the crap out of their AXON/GLON awards as well. I stayed 5 nights in London for 200k HH a year ago and if I was staying at the same hotel now it would be about 320k. as a point of reference one night at the Hampton or HGI in Manhattan, KS is 30k-35k points.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: October 30, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but can you transfer amex/member rewards points to someone else?  Those dicks stopped offering Best Buy gift cards and that is what I normally use the points for at 10k/$100.  Since they aren't offering those anymore and someone wanted to offer me $100 for 10k, can this happen?  I doubt it, but figured you doodz would know. 

Thanks

I'm no expert at membership rewards but I don't think you can. I think you can transfer them to their airline/hotel account though.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: October 30, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
so far i have knocked out the citi AA visa,  spg amex, and the chase sapphire preferred. whats next? AA stuff is worth more to me personally thanks to manhattan international spaceport.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: October 30, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
so far i have knocked out the citi AA visa,  spg amex, and the chase sapphire preferred. whats next? AA stuff is worth more to me personally thanks to manhattan international spaceport.

do a barclays US Air card (will be AA miles soon) and maybe the other AA card (if they are back to allowing multiples)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: October 30, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »

sd knows I'm a fan of Avios for use on AA metal.    Look for BA card deals, they had been running some 100k, not sure if they still are, but if you can find one latch on.   I got one in AUgust 2012 where I had to keep the card for a year to get 50+50, but I was able to cancel after points posted and got the annual fees back.    :party:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: October 30, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »

sd knows I'm a fan of Avios for use on AA metal.    Look for BA card deals, they had been running some 100k, not sure if they still are, but if you can find one latch on.   I got one in AUgust 2012 where I had to keep the card for a year to get 50+50, but I was able to cancel after points posted and got the annual fees back.    :party:

yeah, BA Avios are a good idea and even Alaskan miles would work for flying AA out of MHK once you run through all other options.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: October 30, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
Kind of OT but not really. Say I use my points and get a $100 Home Depot gift card. Can I go to Home Depot and buy another stores gift card of the same value with that?  I'm doubting it, but they sell a bunch of other gift cards and this would solve my problem. I have looked at those exchange sites and they basically offer 85-90% of the gift card value.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: October 30, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
Kind of OT but not really. Say I use my points and get a $100 Home Depot gift card. Can I go to Home Depot and buy another stores gift card of the same value with that?  I'm doubting it, but they sell a bunch of other gift cards and this would solve my problem. I have looked at those exchange sites and they basically offer 85-90% of the gift card value.

just so I understand, you are trying here to convert points into cash money?