Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003005 times)

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3325 on: January 20, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
you should actually get both

I probably will eventually.  I think I'm going to start doing some actual churning this year.  Prob getting married in 2014 and would like to somehow get enough points for flight/hotel to Hawaii that summer.

well, I've got good news for you. you can get enough for non-coach-flight/elite level hotel for a week+ about twice a year to Hawaii or other equally awesome places and throw in numerous long weekend type trips along the way.

SOURCE: I do it every damn year
what cards are you churning for the flights to be able to do this twice a year?  seems like the only carrier that's churnable that quickly is usairways and I can't find any roundtrips for under 60k miles.  I've got the southwest companion pass and have been using that while I try to rack up other miles but I'm having trouble finding easy/quick airline miles.

you can get 100kAA miles just by signing up for two AA 50k citi personal cards. then wait three months and get a 50kAA citi business card. the business one can be churned every three months i think and the personal ones are 18 months. so in less than two years, a person could get 400kAA fairly easily just by getting the citi AA cards. you could get even more if you wanted by also getting a chase sapphire card or two and then transfer UR points over to an airline.
the biz is supposed to be every 6 months but I got mushed last time I tried so I'm gonna give it another shot next month.  I just got the wife the 2 aa personal cards last month and I have to wait until june to get them since I was stupid and got the aa mastercard with 40k last december so I burned my churn on that  :embarrassed:  also I'm trying to hoard my aa miles for a round trip first class flight to europe in the next year or so.

just seems like it would be tough to get enough aa miles for a non-coach rt to hawaii twice a year and have enough left over for anything since it seems like you can only get 200k/year (2 aa personal and 2 aa biz).  I thought sd was maybe talking about a different airline.  I guess I could do aa there and usair back or something. 

you guys need to start a service where I tell you where I want to go and you tell me what miles/points to use to fly and where to stay. :users:

usair does not have one way rewards. also first class AA reward roundtrip to hawaii is only 75k. between you and your wife you should be able to have a couple hundred thousand before the end of the year.
then not enough left for first-class euro2014  :frown:  can't have it all I guess.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: January 20, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »
usair and sapphire cards. you could easily do it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3327 on: January 20, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »

I probably will eventually.  I think I'm going to start doing some actual churning this year.  Prob getting married in 2014 and would like to somehow get enough points for flight/hotel to Hawaii that summer.

well, I've got good news for you. you can get enough for non-coach-flight/elite level hotel for a week+ about twice a year to Hawaii or other equally awesome places and throw in numerous long weekend type trips along the way.

what cards are you churning for the flights to be able to do this twice a year?  seems like the only carrier that's churnable that quickly is usairways and I can't find any roundtrips for under 60k miles.  I've got the southwest companion pass and have been using that while I try to rack up other miles but I'm having trouble finding easy/quick airline miles.

you can get 100kAA miles just by signing up for two AA 50k citi personal cards. then wait three months and get a 50kAA citi business card. the business one can be churned every three months i think and the personal ones are 18 months. so in less than two years, a person could get 400kAA fairly easily just by getting the citi AA cards. you could get even more if you wanted by also getting a chase sapphire card or two and then transfer UR points over to an airline.
the biz is supposed to be every 6 months but I got mushed last time I tried so I'm gonna give it another shot next month.  I just got the wife the 2 aa personal cards last month and I have to wait until june to get them since I was stupid and got the aa mastercard with 40k last december so I burned my churn on that  :embarrassed:  also I'm trying to hoard my aa miles for a round trip first class flight to europe in the next year or so.

just seems like it would be tough to get enough aa miles for a non-coach rt to hawaii twice a year and have enough left over for anything since it seems like you can only get 200k/year (2 aa personal and 2 aa biz).  I thought sd was maybe talking about a different airline.  I guess I could do aa there and usair back or something. 

you guys need to start a service where I tell you where I want to go and you tell me what miles/points to use to fly and where to stay. :users:

usair does not have one way rewards. also first class AA reward roundtrip to hawaii is only 75k. between you and your wife you should be able to have a couple hundred thousand before the end of the year.
then not enough left for first-class euro2014  :frown:  can't have it all I guess.

It's easy, RD just spelled it out dummy

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3328 on: January 20, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »

It's easy, RD just spelled it out dummy
don't be mean to me :frown:

I've got this horrible aversion to spending points other than hilton and southwest. like I've got about 125k ur and my wife and I combined have over 100k spg and I don't want to spend any of them. I'm afraid I won't get the best use out of them or something and then they're gone forever cause you can't churn to get those. I'm gonna have a rough ridin' panic attack when I start spending those points. :embarrassed:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: January 20, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
that's why you use them every chance you get. there will always be more where those came from. you and the wife each get a United card and transfer those URs to United and you've got two business class tickets to Europe on any one of about 10 different carriers.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: January 20, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »
Applied for the Sapphire.  Getting excited.   :dance:

Probably should cancel either the Amex AA Citi or SPG Amex now.... hmmmm.  Like the free bags on AA, but SPG is probably better for everyday spending, righ?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »

Probably should cancel either the Amex AA Citi or SPG Amex now.... hmmmm.  Like the free bags on AA, but SPG is probably better for everyday spending, righ?

yeah, but the Sapphire will get you double points on dining and travel. it's my daily use card.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: January 20, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »

yeah, but the Sapphire will get you double points on dining and travel. it's my daily use card.

I'm stupid. Duh - that should've been obvious. Thx SD.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: January 20, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
that's why you use them every chance you get. there will always be more where those came from. you and the wife each get a United card and transfer those URs to United and you've got two business class tickets to Europe on any one of about 10 different carriers.
thanks sd!! :D

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: January 20, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »
I'm wanting to go to London sometime this summer.  Any card I could get that could get me a free flight in time?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: January 20, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »
I'm wanting to go to London sometime this summer.  Any card I could get that could get me a free flight in time?

sometime in summer? Yes. But you will have to be extremely flexible with your dates.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
I really want to see the book of mormon (it was discussed earlier in this thread) and am thinking about just finding tickets in chicago sometime this spring/summer and saving a few hundred dollars.  it kind of feels like I'll be seeing a cheap knockoff if I don't see it on broadway, but it is chicago and I'm sure the cast is still talented.  and apparently the broadway production crew had a big hand in the chicago production. 

anybody have any thoughts on this?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: January 20, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »
I really want to see the book of mormon (it was discussed earlier in this thread) and am thinking about just finding tickets in chicago sometime this spring/summer and saving a few hundred dollars.  it kind of feels like I'll be seeing a cheap knockoff if I don't see it on broadway, but it is chicago and I'm sure the cast is still talented.  and apparently the broadway production crew had a big hand in the chicago production. 

my thoughts are that this does not belong in the credit card thread.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: January 20, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »

my thoughts are that this does not belong in the credit card thread.

booked mrs. dave and I for 4 nights in NYC.  Flying direct to Newark at 12,500 United miles each.  Need to get the return flight at some point.  Availability on return isn't great with any carriers so may just pay for it.  Staying at the new Hyatt at 48th and Lexington.  Used 2 cat 1-4 award nights (it's the only Hyatt in the city that is a cat 4, paying for the nights was $400+ a night) and 15k Hyatt points for the third night.  Will either pay for the last night or use another 15k when I have them as I'm down to 5k Hyatt points right now.  Going to see Book of Mormon.  $400 for two medium level tickets  :sdeek:
They're doing a stretch in Denver. Tix sold out instantly and are being resold for like 600 apiece. Let me know how it is

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

K.  We aren't going until March though.  Tickets are pretty limited through 2012.  They're, like, printing money.

:blindfold:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: January 21, 2013, 07:27:27 AM »
Rams, you also will usually be flying a star alliance carrier with those US Air miles, not actual US Air. Use the United website to check for low level availability. It shows most carriers. ANAs shows more but is a pain to use. It's 100k for a business class RT to Europe and 70k in first to Hawaii.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: January 21, 2013, 09:15:21 PM »
so I would need to do a couple of churns of AA cards to get the 150k for two first class RT tickets to Hawaii? get the citi 50k personal and business and then churn six months later or so?

I just got the spg card, will probably have 35k or so starpoints by this time next year. what's another way to get more starpoints?  just scrolling through their options it looks like 15k-20k a night, with 5th night free so probably need another 50k or so starpoints to do a 5 night stay I guess?  never used spg points so I have no idea how they work. looking at probably Kauai here...St Regis Princeville looks amazing but only a garden view room for 16k a night, and it says I can't use points for any other room :(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:09:28 PM by GoodForAnother »
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: January 21, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »
or wait... would it be smarter to transfer 40k spg to 50k AA toward the flight and use another card for a resort?
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:34 AM »
so I would need to do a couple of churns of AA cards to get the 150k for two first class RT tickets to Hawaii? get the citi 50k personal and business and then churn six months later or so?

I just got the spg card, will probably have 35k or so starpoints by this time next year. what's another way to get more starpoints?  just scrolling through their options it looks like 15k-20k a night, with 5th night free so probably need another 50k or so starpoints to do a 5 night stay I guess?  never used spg points so I have no idea how they work. looking at probably Kauai here...St Regis Princeville looks amazing but only a garden view room for 16k a night, and it says I can't use points for any other room :(

Yes, St. Regis Princeville is boss. But, it isn't worth the points unless you are getting the fifth night free and you would need 80k to get there. Your best bet is to stay at the Hyatt in Poipu. Get the Hyatt card and a couple different Chase UR earning cards and you can stay there for 7 days or so. It's an elite property. The SPG points probably have a better value being used at other properties. The Maui Westin/Sheraton are both 12k a night and are better than the Kauaui Sheraton. You seem to be working for two people to travel but doing all the lifting. Is the GF/Fiance/Wife not helping? That's what makes it doable. When I say I'm getting some card in here I almost always mean I'm getting it and Mrs. dave is getting it. Let me know when you've booked this trip and I will give you your entire own elite level insider pro-tip filled itenerary.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: January 22, 2013, 10:32:47 AM »
You seem to be working for two people to travel but doing all the lifting. Is the GF/Fiance/Wife not helping? That's what makes it doable. When I say I'm getting some card in here I almost always mean I'm getting it and Mrs. dave is getting it.

my principal motivation for getting my wife a resident visa is so i can sign her up for cc deals.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »
You seem to be working for two people to travel but doing all the lifting. Is the GF/Fiance/Wife not helping? That's what makes it doable. When I say I'm getting some card in here I almost always mean I'm getting it and Mrs. dave is getting it.

my principal motivation for getting my wife a resident visa is so i can sign her up for cc deals.

that's the best reason I've ever heard of

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: January 22, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
so I'm thinking about using usair miles to book a flight to cabo.  the best flights I found are through the united site where I would fly united there and us air back (short flights so I'm not gonna burn more points to upgrade to biz or first).  my question is if I fly united down there and have the united card would I get the free checked bag even though I'm using usair miles?  neither of us have the united card yet but I just signed up for united program and transferred 1k ur points so now I'm getting the 50k offer and can get the card now if it makes sense. 

seems like the obvious answer would be yes but now that I've started looking at using air miles to book through other airlines and having to use other sites for availability it's all kind of getting confusing.  :runaway: :embarrassed: also not looking forward to my noob call to usair to try and book the flight.  :ohno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: January 22, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
so I'm thinking about using usair miles to book a flight to cabo.  the best flights I found are through the united site where I would fly united there and us air back (short flights so I'm not gonna burn more points to upgrade to biz or first).  my question is if I fly united down there and have the united card would I get the free checked bag even though I'm using usair miles?  neither of us have the united card yet but I just signed up for united program and transferred 1k ur points so now I'm getting the 50k offer and can get the card now if it makes sense. 

seems like the obvious answer would be yes but now that I've started looking at using air miles to book through other airlines and having to use other sites for availability it's all kind of getting confusing.  :runaway: :embarrassed: also not looking forward to my noob call to usair to try and book the flight.  :ohno:

no. and lol at checking a bag to Cabo. you going for a month?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: January 22, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »

5 nights and probably 5 or 6 bottles of wine. also, wife. :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: January 22, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »

i'm pretty sure they sell wine in cabo  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: January 22, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »

are you aware your wife can bring her own carry on?