Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002335 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1100 on: July 24, 2011, 08:39:55 AM »
If you need a miles card, get the Citi 75k Visa card SD mentioned a few posts ago.  

75k miles after $1500 (or $4000, depending on the link) spending in 6 months.  75k miles gets you a round trip first class to Hawaii if you book early enough.

After that, earn 1 pt / dollar of spending.  When the first year's up, if you still want the card, call and threaten to cancel to get the annual fee waived.

What does 1pt equal roughly? Like, how many points per flight?

25k miles for a domestic rountrip if you can find an available mile saver award.  if you book early you can get milesaver awards pretty much anywhere outside of holidays.  The next best card is the Chase Sapphire preferred which gives you 50k Chase awards which transfer 1:1 to BA, Continental (hopefully they still transfer to United after the merger), Hyatt, Marriott, PC and Korean Air.  Those points can also be used to book travel through Chase themselves and 50K is worth about $650 in travel from Chase.  Very versatile card.  Both that card and the AA citi are Visas.  I am going to have my SPG Amex and my Chase Sapphire be my two primary use cards.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:59:27 AM by steve dave »

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 24, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »
If you need a miles card, get the Citi 75k Visa card SD mentioned a few posts ago.  

75k miles after $1500 (or $4000, depending on the link) spending in 6 months.  75k miles gets you a round trip first class to Hawaii if you book early enough.

After that, earn 1 pt / dollar of spending.  When the first year's up, if you still want the card, call and threaten to cancel to get the annual fee waived.

What does 1pt equal roughly? Like, how many points per flight?

25k miles for a domestic rountrip if you can find an available mile saver award.  if you book early you can get milesaver awards pretty much anywhere outside of holidays.  The next best card is the Chase Sapphire preferred which gives you 50k Chase awards which transfer 1:1 to BA, Continental (hopefully they still transfer to United after the merger), Hyatt, Marriott, PC and Korean Air.  Those points can also be used to book travel through Chase themselves and 50K is worth about $650 in travel from Chase.  Very versatile card.  Both that card and the AA citi are Visas.  I am going to have my SPG Amex and my Chase Sapphire be my two primary use cards.  

So if I only wanted 1 card would your reccommendo be the Citi? I don't really have much use for Hyatt, Marriot points etc b/c I won't be needing to stay in hotels.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 24, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
So if I only wanted 1 card would your reccommendo be the Citi? I don't really have much use for Hyatt, Marriot points etc b/c I won't be needing to stay in hotels.

if you're getting the one citi aa, you might as well get them both.  just cancel the one you like least as soon as you get your miles.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 24, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »

if you're getting the one citi aa, you might as well get them both.  just cancel the one you like least as soon as you get your miles.

Do all the miles go into a magical mile bank or something, or will I need to call and have them transferred?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 24, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »
sd or daris might be able to better advise, but i'd think you'd want to get an aadvantage# first if you don't already have one.  then you enter that in your cc applications.  if you don't have a number to enter i'd guess you'd get a diff. # assigned to you for each card, assuming you apply for both at the same time.

it probably wouldn't be that hard to fix if they gave you two numbers though.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 24, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »
sd or daris might be able to better advise, but i'd think you'd want to get an aadvantage# first if you don't already have one.  then you enter that in your cc applications.  if you don't have a number to enter i'd guess you'd get a diff. # assigned to you for each card, assuming you apply for both at the same time.

it probably wouldn't be that hard to fix if they gave you two numbers though.

Ah excellent. It appears as though I can just sign up and get an aadvantage# before I apply for a cc, yeah?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 24, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
If you don't put a number in while signing up, it will assign you one.  Prob two different ones if you do two cards.  Get the AA# first, which I am sure you can do from their website.  The miles just post straight into your AA account when you get them.  They are safe there.  Citi cannot get to them.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
If you don't put a number in while signing up, it will assign you one.  Prob two different ones if you do two cards.  Get the AA# first, which I am sure you can do from their website.  The miles just post straight into your AA account when you get them.  They are safe there.  Citi cannot get to them.

citi  :shakesfist:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 24, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
500 hawaiin air miles for connecting your account to your twitter account

http://aloha.hawaiianairlines.com/BeHawaiianMiles

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 24, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
I don't know if it works this way but if someone wants to send me a referral for the citi and chase to earn some bonus miles or w/e I'll go through you so you can get the bonus.

:kstategrad:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: July 24, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
I don't know if it works this way but if someone wants to send me a referral for the citi and chase to earn some bonus miles or w/e I'll go through you so you can get the bonus.

I don't think either of them have referrals.  Just make sure you sign up for the 50k Chase Sapphire Preferred and the AA cards at the link in the FT thread. 

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: July 24, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »

I don't think either of them have referrals.  Just make sure you sign up for the 50k Chase Sapphire Preferred and the AA cards at the link in the FT thread. 

damn them and their no referrals  :shakesfist:

thanks for the info good sirs.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: July 24, 2011, 03:18:10 PM »
Also, please link to the FT thread as I have no idea what you are talking about.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: July 24, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
Also, please link to the FT thread as I have no idea what you are talking about.

Read the second post.  Will show you your options for 75K AA cards
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1110784-american-airlines-card-75k-sign-up-bonus-read-post-2-first.html

Chase Sapphire Preferred link
http://www.getchasesapphire.com/preferred/50?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ37281088

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 24, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:18 AM »
The 30K SPG card is going to be available to everyone today without a referal.  Offer expires Aug. 22.  10,000 points on first purchase and 20,000 more points with $4500 of spend within 90 days. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 26, 2011, 07:25:34 AM »
Also, the lady from the Sheraton Madison emailed me and told me that my 3k SPG points would be in my account soon.  I like to think it had something to do with Trim PI'ing their facebook poll.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 26, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
Link to SPG 30K signup and explanation on why SPG points are BITB:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/starwood-american-express-30000-point-sign-up-bonus/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:52 AM »
75k from AA Visa has credited.  Still working on hitting the $4k spend on the AA Amex and $3k on each of the Chase Sapphires.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
Link to SPG 30K signup and explanation on why SPG points are BITB:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/starwood-american-express-30000-point-sign-up-bonus/

signed up, instant approval.    If the links at TPG don't work, go to SPG.com and click on the banner.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 27, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »
so as Ive mentioned going to san diego tues-thurs next week. for 2 nights @ like a holiday inn type of hotel its going to cost 50k for the two nights, seems a bit excessive amirite?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 27, 2011, 09:23:53 PM »
so as Ive mentioned going to san diego tues-thurs next week. for 2 nights @ like a holiday inn type of hotel its going to cost 50k for the two nights, seems a bit excessive amirite?

50k of what points?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 27, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »

50k of what points?
priorityclub reward

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 28, 2011, 01:14:01 AM »

50k of what points?
priorityclub reward

What's the rate if you weren't using points? Most Holiday Inns in the good parts of San Diego are probably going to be 25K. Unfortunately there's no PointBreaks in California right now. Probably better off finding a deal online and paying cash.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 28, 2011, 07:08:38 AM »

yes.  manhattan holiday inn is 25k a night now too.  sucks.