Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005452 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1075 on: July 22, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
should find the link here....

WWW.thepointsguy.com/top-deals/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 22, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
Question for sd, rd, or other travel experts.  When applying for the 75k AA business visa, is there anything special I need to know?  Can I use the same address as I did for my personal card?  I was just approved for the AA 75k personal card today (4000 spend).

ummmm, I think there is a 75k personal with 1,500 spend still.  but, yes, and do it the same day.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 22, 2011, 03:43:23 PM »
Question for sd, rd, or other travel experts.  When applying for the 75k AA business visa, is there anything special I need to know?  Can I use the same address as I did for my personal card?  I was just approved for the AA 75k personal card today (4000 spend).

ummmm, I think there is a 75k personal with 1,500 spend still.  but, yes, and do it the same day.

just read the second post.  should be good to go.

eff, edit to add link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1110784-american-airlines-card-75k-sign-up-bonus-read-post-2-first.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:39:40 PM by steve dave »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 22, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
just applied for both 75k aa cards.  glad they were brought to my attention.

is there a limit to the number of chase cards one should have?  i'm having trouble thinking of a reason to not apply for the sapphire and convert to 50k continental/united.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1079 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
Chase will cut you ooff but you can call and bitch and they will usually let you shift some credit from one card to another. I never have more than three. They also get bitchy if you applied for a chase card very recently and then apply again.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1080 on: July 22, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
Also, the best value by far, imo, is to transfer sapphire to hyatt. Buy, if you don't need hotel points it wouldn't matter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 22, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
meh, if they're going to bitch, then i'll wait and see what they're offering after i cancel a current card.

i saw the recommendation for the hyatt transfer, but i just can't see myself using hyatt points that much.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »
meh, if they're going to bitch, then i'll wait and see what they're offering after i cancel a current card.

i saw the recommendation for the hyatt transfer, but i just can't see myself using hyatt points that much.

If you only have one chase you are fine prolly
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:40:51 PM by steve dave »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 22, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
media had to go and ruin it.    US Mint has ended the $1 coin program immediately, including cancelling pending orders.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 22, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »
media had to go and ruin it.    US Mint has ended the $1 coin program immediately, including cancelling pending orders.

never did it but always liked knowing I had the option. ridiculous it lasted this long.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 22, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »

never did it but always liked knowing I had the option. ridiculous it lasted this long.

I used it as a boost to ensure I met minimum spending requirements.  Not buying 80-100k a month as some have admitted to.   But it still sucks.  Was planning on getting the SPG card and probably needed a $2k boost.     Guess I'll have to get creative with bill pay to get it done.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 22, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »

have two, but one is new.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 22, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »

I have 3....no,actually 4

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 22, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »

they worry more about credit limit anyway.  if they deny you one they will send you a denial with a code to reference.  just call them and reference the code (unique to you) and tell them you want to either cancel one or move some of the available credit from one to the new card.  it works 100% of the time.  The downside is that it can take them a couple weeks to get the mailed denial to you.  sometimes they will actually call instead of mailing the denial to ask questions about why you want the card or whatever which is better.  

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 22, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »
hmm, ok, i think i'm gearing back up then.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 22, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
hmm, ok, i think i'm gearing back up then.

I wouldn't even wait for the Chase denial. if they don't approve you immediately, then call two days later and ask what's up and what you can do or what questions you can clear up to make it happen.

I have some transunion thing that is 18 years old and still affecting my transunion credit report. its obviously not me (age,etc) but I'm lazy and haven't fixed it. every time I apply for Chase cards I have to call in, explain the deal and answer like three more questions and I'm good. as long as its Chase and you haven't applied for Chase for at least a month or so, you should be fine.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 23, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
The Chase Sapphire card has raised their earning to 2 points per $1 spent on dining and travel.  Pretty amazing card now for everyday use.  Will probably be my new Visa.  Was going to make it the Hyatt Card to keep the Plat. Hyatt status but this is just a much better card.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 23, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »
chicat what exactly should I say to try and get a nicer room? want to be a beentheredonethatcat not a noobiecat

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 23, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
Dear credit card/airline miles goemawers,

I need an every day card that I can earn airline miles with.  I know literally nothing about all this and I refuse to read previous pages of this thread or do any external research on my own.

plz halp.

Your friend,

FP TC etc.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
Dear credit card/airline miles goEMAWers,

I need an every day card that I can earn airline miles with.  I know literally nothing about all this and I refuse to read previous pages of this thread or do any external research on my own.

plz halp.

Your friend,

FP TC etc.

pm Steve Dave to refer you the SPG 30k card offer from American Express.  You won't pay the first year fee 10k points automatically, 20k points after 4.5k spending after 3 months.  Also SD will get a nice chunk of SPG points and probably send you a nice cooler and katpak head in the mail.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: July 23, 2011, 08:48:52 PM »
Dear credit card/airline miles goEMAWers,

plz halp.

Your friend,

FP TC etc.

pm Steve Dave to refer you the SPG 30k card offer from American Express.  You won't pay the first year fee 10k points automatically, 20k points after 4.5k spending after 3 months.  Also SD will get a nice chunk of SPG points and probably send you a nice cooler and katpak head in the mail.

Isn't American Express one of those cards that they don't accept everywhere? I pretty much just use my Visa and don't have any other cards or pay attention to these things.  :frown:

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 23, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
I googled it and the Yahoo Answers from 2007 that came up says it's not accepted everywhere.

SexyTrojan is a LEVEL 7 Yahoo answerer, so she seems like she would probably know these things.  :dunno:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 23, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
I googled it and the Yahoo Answers from 2007 that came up says it's not accepted everywhere.

SexyTrojan is a LEVEL 7 Yahoo answerer, so she seems like she would probably know these things.  :dunno:

You can still use your go to VISA just make sure to hit the spending limit of 3.5k, prepay your insurance premiums, utilities, etc.  I don't really know how widely accepted AMEX is but I haven't had a problem anywhere yet.  Chase Sapphire has a decent deal going I believe that was mentioned a few pages back if you are gunshy about AMEX.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 23, 2011, 10:29:18 PM »
If you need a miles card, get the Citi 75k Visa card SD mentioned a few posts ago. 

75k miles after $1500 (or $4000, depending on the link) spending in 6 months.  75k miles gets you a round trip first class to Hawaii if you book early enough.

After that, earn 1 pt / dollar of spending.  When the first year's up, if you still want the card, call and threaten to cancel to get the annual fee waived.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:25 AM »
If you need a miles card, get the Citi 75k Visa card SD mentioned a few posts ago. 

75k miles after $1500 (or $4000, depending on the link) spending in 6 months.  75k miles gets you a round trip first class to Hawaii if you book early enough.

After that, earn 1 pt / dollar of spending.  When the first year's up, if you still want the card, call and threaten to cancel to get the annual fee waived.

What does 1pt equal roughly? Like, how many points per flight?