Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003531 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #9650 on: November 23, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
I only noticed because I got a second bill for the same amount that prompted me to see wtf.  It has the same policy # w/a -A stuck on the end.  The front page of the new one laid out how much it increased by, and then there was a note on the next page about why.

$40/year to churn credit cards is fine by me, but it def seems weird that it's coming about via a car insurance premium increase. 

But to sd's point, it's also worth $40 to not eff w/any of this.  For me to really do something about it, a car insurance competitor would have to come to my house, sit on my couch quietly and look at my crap and do the math and present me with a simple apples-to-apples proposal that I could OK and get a new card and never think about it again.

Your premium was determined by information from consumer reports:

The length of time since the most recent customer-initiated inquiry is one of many pieces of information that was used to help determine your premium.  This generally means that we've considered the amount of time since credit was last sought.  But we do not consider inquiries resulting from a non-solicited promotional mailing, account reviews done by existing creditors, or inquires from insurers.  All other things being equal, minimal recent inquiries can have a favorable effect on insurance premiums because account inquiries often indicate a possible increase in credit obligations.  Consequently, only applying for credit when necessary is beneficial.

You have the right to request, no more than once during a 12-month period, that your policy be re-rated using a current credit-based insurance score.  Re-rating could result in a lower rate, no change in rate, or a higher rate.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: November 23, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »
I was told trying to prove I don't drive my car is not worth the reduction in rate.
Why?

Agent said it took a lot of evidence and didn't save that much

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: November 24, 2016, 05:07:26 PM »
That will help he towards hitting the spend also, double bonus!  I'm excite.
ya you can just buy $300 in airline gift cards if you don't have a trip to book

I can just buy $300 in SWA gift cards?  Anyone done this before for the travel credit?  Probably the route I'll go if it will work

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: November 24, 2016, 05:09:07 PM »
ya, google it- a lot of people discussed it in the CSR reddit thread.  or just call chase and tell them that's what you're doing.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: November 24, 2016, 05:10:46 PM »
if you're really concerned about it, just book a sw flight for sometime next year.  they don't charge change fees.  then move the flight to when you need it down the road.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: November 24, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »
ya, google it- a lot of people discussed it in the CSR reddit thread.  or just call chase and tell them that's what you're doing.

Thanks pal

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: November 29, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
So I found out the "annual" travel credit is per your statement cycle so I only have until Dec 6th to use the $300. I have around $100 left and was planning on Ubering a couple holiday parties to finish out the year. Obv losing out on $100 isn't terrible, but I was wondering what else I could buy to get the full amount. Is the gift card thing legit?  Can I buy a $97 SW gift card?

TIA

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: November 29, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
So I found out the "annual" travel credit is per your statement cycle so I only have until Dec 6th to use the $300. I have around $100 left and was planning on Ubering a couple holiday parties to finish out the year. Obv losing out on $100 isn't terrible, but I was wondering what else I could buy to get the full amount. Is the gift card thing legit?  Can I buy a $97 SW gift card?

TIA

Not sure if Chase recognizes gift cards for travel credit, but Uber has gift cards too if that is what you would rather do.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: November 29, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
Called Chase. They were iffy in Uber gift cards because they don't know if they will be coded travel. She said SW if purchased directly would be and if it comes up that they aren't to call back and they would apply in manually.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: November 29, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »
southwest gift card worked for me

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9660 on: December 02, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
Called Chase. They were iffy in Uber gift cards because they don't know if they will be coded travel. She said SW if purchased directly would be and if it comes up that they aren't to call back and they would apply in manually.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/which-purchases-count-as-travel-chase-sapphire-reserve/

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: December 02, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
i'm 5/24 eligible, (i think, my record keeping wasn't that great two year ago).  oddly, i think i may do something stupid like blow the slot on an ink cash.  then my next opening would be mid 2017.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: December 02, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »
Sounds good crap for brains

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: December 02, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »
he's still angry  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: December 02, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »

well, i don't want to get a csr now because the travel credit window would almost all go in one year and i don't want to get a csp because i want to stagger csp's with my wife and she's getting one now and i can't get a united or a normal ink because it hasn't been 24 months and i don't want to just sit here doing nothing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: December 05, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »

well, i don't want to get a csr now because the travel credit window would almost all go in one year and i don't want to get a csp because i want to stagger csp's with my wife and she's getting one now and i can't get a united or a normal ink because it hasn't been 24 months and i don't want to just sit here doing nothing.

get the CSR now and buy travel gift cards if needed.   There is a high likelihood that the 100k won't last forever, so you may not have the chance later.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: December 05, 2016, 05:09:14 PM »
i don't want the pressure of doing some sort of rush job application and gift carding the credit to fit in the csr.  obviously, i thought about it, and obviously i'll regret it for the rest of my life if they withdraw the promotion before i become eligible again, but i just don't want the pressure.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:02 PM »
more pressure, it has to hit your december statement.  is it too late to get a december statement?  me thinks it could be.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: December 05, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
it is too much pressure, pissclams.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: December 06, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »
more pressure, it has to hit your december statement.  is it too late to get a december statement?  me thinks it could be.

I don't believe this is true.   My credit showed up 2 days after purchase.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: December 06, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »

what i said is true, also- what i said you didn't read or understand, not sure which.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: December 06, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: December 06, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »

what i said is true, also- what i said you didn't read or understand, not sure which.

A December statement (to me) means it has to close the cycle in December.   I don't see why that would be required, as the credit is issued quickly after use.   Now, don't spend it 12/31 and expect it, but I could see you up to 12/29 getting it.     

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: December 06, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »

True statement.  My December statement cuts 12/4 so I had to use my remaining 2016 credits prior to 12/4.  SW gift card worked like a champ. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: December 06, 2016, 07:07:57 PM »
Hmm, I've had it for a couple weeks but I won't have a December statement. hopefully my holiday travel gets reimbursed