Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002106 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #8500 on: January 25, 2016, 06:49:08 PM »
Do transferred points count towards the CP? For some reason I thought they didnt...

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: January 25, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »
Do transferred points count towards the CP? For some reason I thought they didnt...

Pretty sure they do.  I'll double check before I do it obvs

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: January 25, 2016, 07:09:35 PM »
man, 'clams and i are in 100 percent agreement on swa.  a couple of "a-listers" if you ask me  :cheers:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: January 25, 2016, 07:23:15 PM »
Companion pass is great in the years you want to just hit as many domestic places as possible.  I think I saw 5 new MLB stadiums to see the Roys play.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: January 25, 2016, 07:43:16 PM »

Some (Marriott does which was used in the example)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #8505 on: January 25, 2016, 07:43:30 PM »
my Sapphire anniversary is coming up.  if I cancel the card and sign up for a new one for my wife, once I get those points (50k I think is the current offer) can I combine them with the UR points I currently have?  and those points I currently have earned, nothing happens with them if I cancel the Sapphire, correct?

No, and you lose them. Keep it. If you just cannot pay the annual fee transfer them to Hyatt or united or SW if you have a CP before cancelling (or to an ink if you have that)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: January 25, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »
Hey companion pass bros. so, my cards are on the way, but I plan on hitting the spending on both cards by the second month pretty easy. Will prob hit it the first month. So at the latest I hope to have it Marchish. I just booked a flight for May with the hopes of adding the pass once I get it. Is this a good strategy?  The only reason I'm asking is SW is running a sale right now and my flight to NY and back was only 15k points. Should I risk the flight filling up prior to getting my pass or should I just use more points and book Mrs SF's flight since it is so cheap?  I'm thinking I should be good but am a little  :ohno:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: January 25, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
my Sapphire anniversary is coming up.  if I cancel the card and sign up for a new one for my wife, once I get those points (50k I think is the current offer) can I combine them with the UR points I currently have?  and those points I currently have earned, nothing happens with them if I cancel the Sapphire, correct?

No, and you lose them. Keep it.

I thought married people could transfer freely?  He just get the freedom if he doesn't want to pay the fee.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: January 25, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
You'll be fine waiting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: January 25, 2016, 07:45:57 PM »

I thought married people could transfer freely?  He just get the freedom if he doesn't want to pay the fee.

The points are crap on the freedom

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: January 25, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »

:thumbs:

So UR->Marriott->SW works, but UR->SW does not?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: January 25, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »

Nice getting the 5 times for stuff then transferring over to CSP if needed right?  Back to my original question though. I thought married people could transfer accounts. Couldn't he get the wife a CSP, transfer his points in and cancel his?

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: January 25, 2016, 08:52:24 PM »

Correct.

Hey companion pass bros. so, my cards are on the way, but I plan on hitting the spending on both cards by the second month pretty easy. Will prob hit it the first month. So at the latest I hope to have it Marchish. I just booked a flight for May with the hopes of adding the pass once I get it. Is this a good strategy?  The only reason I'm asking is SW is running a sale right now and my flight to NY and back was only 15k points. Should I risk the flight filling up prior to getting my pass or should I just use more points and book Mrs SF's flight since it is so cheap?  I'm thinking I should be good but am a little  :ohno:

I forgot to book a ticket using my CP for WonderMeal Jr. until 23.5 hours before our Christmas flights. Still had no problem grabbing a seat for a cool $11.20 in fees. (Refunded immediately by my Amex Platinum airline fee credit.)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: January 25, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

n

Nice getting the 5 times for stuff then transferring over to CSP if needed right?  Back to my original question though. I thought married people could transfer accounts. Couldn't he get the wife a CSP, transfer his points in and cancel his?

This is what I was thinking.  I have a freedom and another under my wife and was able to transfer her freedom UR points to my sapphire. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: January 25, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »

Yeah he needs to get the wife's card, transfer his UR points to her, then cancel his card. We did this.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: January 26, 2016, 06:30:09 AM »

that would be an absolutely terrible thing to do but it may work. You'd be transferring UR points to SW at a rate of 3:1. just spend the money on the card to get it or use Marriott points already in your Marriott account if you have to (also not a great transfer but could pay off if you have a CP ticket to book).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: January 26, 2016, 06:31:18 AM »

With the new Chase rules I'd just hold onto your CSP I guess is my ultimate advice. I guess if your spouse has a separate card/account that can be your familys permanent UR account if you want it to be.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:47 AM »
thanks for the advice.  probably just keep the sapph and get one for my wife as her birthday present.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: January 26, 2016, 08:26:41 AM »
thanks for the advice.  probably just keep the sapph and get one for my wife as her birthday present.

I hope you mean hit the minimum spend by buying her birthday present.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: January 26, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »

I hope you mean hit the minimum spend by buying her birthday present.

nope, signing up for the card, then wrap up the card with a nice wrapping paper/bow combo.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8520 on: January 26, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »
my wife was kind enough to break her leg while skiing here in Switzerland so I was able to meet the minimum on her new CSP basically immediately

extending the trip cost me 75,000 more Marriott points tho :(

ouch, that sucks.    I assume no travel insurance?    Does your domestic health cover international treatment?

Yeah they should reimburse, they cover "overseas emergencies". Since hospitals abroad don't have TINs you have to pay and submit it for reimbursement. Idk if I'll get all I spent but should get something anyway. Swiss healthcare is p cheap.

yeah, my wife had a gallbladder attack in Mexico.  For a doc to make a 2AM housecall, give 2 medications, and order a 3rd was like $160.  Our system is so f'd up.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: January 26, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »

With the new Chase rules I'd just hold onto your CSP I guess is my ultimate advice. I guess if your spouse has a separate card/account that can be your familys permanent UR account if you want it to be.

My strategy is going to be this to avoid the fee. I have freedom and CSP. I am going to move CSP points to freedom and until I think I'll need them, they will chill there. Cancel my CSP before the fee. Then Mrs SF will get the CSP and I will transfer any needed points from my freedom to her CSP. Then hopefully it will have been long enough, I will get the CSP again and reverse the process. Or I'll just pay the fee.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: January 26, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
OK, just so you're up to speed on the new Chase card requirements for you and your authorized users. I don't want your CSP UR points becoming garbage Freedom UR points with no escape route.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: January 26, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »
probably been discussed, but does adding an authorized user count towards the number of Chase cards during the new cards per period rules?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: January 26, 2016, 09:16:26 AM »
probably been discussed, but does adding an authorized user count towards the number of Chase cards during the new cards per period rules?

Yes