Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006168 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #8475 on: January 13, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
I just can't deal with the cattle call thing. Just give me assigned seats with priority boarding like a normal rough ridin' airline.

On our flight to Vegas the guy slinging drinks opened a "tab" for me and then at the end of the flight told me it was on him.  :cheers:

They didn't fight me much when I subsequently disputed my charge for the flight on which they had a fat woman spilling onto me.  :thumbs:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
interesting SW fact: their pilots are bonused on timeliness. because of this they have tons of near misses coming in hot to the runways,etc. but, so far so good so WGAF. they also climb and descend super fast. they do this because if they get high enough fast enough they can request a direct route from ATC and will usually get it so it saves them time. Then they descend super fast so they can stay at cruising altitude for the max amount of time. a lot of people complain about turbulence and uncomfortable rides because of their quick climbs and descents but I never notice it unless i'm actively paying attention to it. also they don't have economy comfort or 1st class so I only fly them for family travel which is about all of my non-work travel these days.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: January 13, 2016, 12:21:21 PM »
also lol at family boarding after A group. lol in your non-little-kid-having faces as I don't even check in and cruise on before most of you.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: January 13, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »
those are great swa nuggets

i always get an exit row seat which is great or bulkhead seat which is extra great b/c first on, first off + leg room, and don't have to pay extra for either
they also rarely charge me for my scotches

also free television

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: January 13, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »

SW is only 10K each way if you have any of their dumpy points.

To each his own, I love southwest!  Now that they fly to the Caribbean, they are even more valuable to me.

If you ever want to sell some points... :fatty:

I'm down to 626 points that expire in May that are all yours if you know how I can get them to you.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: January 13, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »
interesting SW fact: their pilots are bonused on timeliness. because of this they have tons of near misses coming in hot to the runways,etc. but, so far so good so WGAF. they also climb and descend super fast. they do this because if they get high enough fast enough they can request a direct route from ATC and will usually get it so it saves them time. Then they descend super fast so they can stay at cruising altitude for the max amount of time. a lot of people complain about turbulence and uncomfortable rides because of their quick climbs and descents but I never notice it unless i'm actively paying attention to it. also they don't have economy comfort or 1st class so I only fly them for family travel which is about all of my non-work travel these days.

More booz'n time.   :thumbs:
@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: January 13, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »

SW is only 10K each way if you have any of their dumpy points.

To each his own, I love southwest!  Now that they fly to the Caribbean, they are even more valuable to me.

If you ever want to sell some points... :fatty:

I'm down to 626 points that expire in May that are all yours if you know how I can get them to you.

impossible

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: January 20, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »
Too late to matter, but that Chase Freedom 10% rip on Amazon, if you bought stuff in December but returned them you still got all but 1% of the bonus.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: January 22, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Chase 5/24 rule coming to biz cards in March

Via DoC. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-credit-card-limits-to-soon-apply-to-business-cards/

The report states that the limit will go in place sometime in March. So if you are planning to get an Ink card but would otherwise be precluded by 5/24, think about applying before then.

If this spreads to co-branded cards, I'm ruined with Chase. I thought about the "chatter" flair, but I trust the source and don't imagine they would publish unless they were solid on this.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: January 22, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
If someone is going to apply for a new mortgage in the near future, are they better off closing a few accounts or is it better to leave them open so it shows more available credit?
@mikec2w

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: January 22, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »
Just make sure the credit limits are low so you don't have a ton of available credit. That kind of hurts you when applying for loans.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: January 22, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
Just make sure the credit limits are low so you don't have a ton of available credit. That kind of hurts you when applying for loans.

I've got a couple with higher limits.  Probably should drop those (don't use them anymore anyway).
@mikec2w

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: January 22, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »

I've got a couple with higher limits.  Probably should drop those (don't use them anymore anyway).
Def lower it to like 2K or less if it is a card you want to keep but don't really use.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: January 22, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »

Def lower it to like 2K or less if it is a card you want to keep but don't really use.

one is an amex hilton... i'll find my way to the shame thread now
@mikec2w

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: January 22, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »

Wait what? 

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-available-cancel-open-accounts/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8490 on: January 23, 2016, 06:54:18 AM »

On Opposite Day ?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:23 AM »
Ya, I have to agree that having open credit isn't bad....having balances on cards is bad.  Not sure where you saw that Gooch, but my scores have gone up since I had more open credit instruments (but no balances on them).

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #8492 on: January 23, 2016, 08:44:28 AM »
Look at Credit Karma. You can see how your score it built there.

The only poor on my rating is Age of Credit history. I always cancelled cards when I went to a new one. That was obviously a mistake. Just keep them open unless it needs to be closed for the churn or you don't want to pay the annual fee.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8493 on: January 25, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »
my wife was kind enough to break her leg while skiing here in Switzerland so I was able to meet the minimum on her new CSP basically immediately

extending the trip cost me 75,000 more Marriott points tho :(
emaw

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: January 25, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
my wife was kind enough to break her leg while skiing here in Switzerland so I was able to meet the minimum on her new CSP basically immediately

ouch, that sucks.    I assume no travel insurance?    Does your domestic health cover international treatment?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
didn't even know MHK had a holiday inn express. 3 IHG properties? more like The Medium Apple  :love:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: January 25, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »

ouch, that sucks.    I assume no travel insurance?    Does your domestic health cover international treatment?

Yeah they should reimburse, they cover "overseas emergencies". Since hospitals abroad don't have TINs you have to pay and submit it for reimbursement. Idk if I'll get all I spent but should get something anyway. Swiss healthcare is p cheap.
emaw

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: January 25, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
my Sapphire anniversary is coming up.  if I cancel the card and sign up for a new one for my wife, once I get those points (50k I think is the current offer) can I combine them with the UR points I currently have?  and those points I currently have earned, nothing happens with them if I cancel the Sapphire, correct?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: January 25, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »
got approved for both SW Chase cards at 50k.  Going to transfer 30k Marriott points to 10k SW miles and have the companion pass immediately.  Chase got mad at me for getting the second card in the same day and was going to reject me until I called.  I was   :ohno: ,but the dude was nice and said he would fix it.   :driving: