Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004296 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #8200 on: December 04, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
Should I make sure to keep my credit card applications low so that I can get another UR card sometime within the next couple years?

:impatient:

stay under 5 each for you and gooch/24.

Is it just applications in the last 24 months or does the total number of cards you have come into account (i.e. if I have some cards that I've had for more than 2 years). Also, do you think that store credit cards count, like my Victoria's Secret card?

just bonuses (per sd) in the last 24 months, older cards don't count.  i don't think most store cards count, but don't hold me to that.  also cards that only to report to a credit agency that chase doesn't query wouldn't count.  so, if you wanted to google for a bit you could prolly find some more cards that wouldn't count.

here's the link for all cards.  whenever you want a card, just go there to look up what's available (prolly should be on the first page, if it isn't already.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread-subscription.html

I don't think a bonus matters (and you may not be saying it does but just using that wording). It's 5 approvals in 24 months with ANY bank. So, if you apply (and are approved) for 2 chase cards, 2 citi cards, and an amex in a 2 year span you can't get a CSP, Ink, or Freedom. It's very restrictive and why I chose to just hold onto my CSP and Freedom and abandon churning them. Very little reward (say 70k UR points every two years) v. what I would be giving up imo. again, this only applies for UR earning cards (CSP, Ink, Freedom).

FT Wiki on it http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1707643-applying-chase-credit-cards-may-2015-present.html

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: December 04, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »
and then, after you sit out for two years, you apply for the CSP, Ink, and Freedom and that's 3 of your 5 for the next two years so your really committing yourself to only getting a single CSP, Ink, and Freedom and then a single other card every 24 months. I guess you'd probably just hold onto the freedom and get a CSP and Ink every two years and give yourself the option for 2 other cards. Either way it doesn't add up to me. There are too many other options out there and when a huge thing pops up like the 100k Plat Amex that I got a few months ago I want to be able to jump on it.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: December 04, 2015, 07:54:48 AM »
Should I make sure to keep my credit card applications low so that I can get another UR card sometime within the next couple years?

Is it just applications in the last 24 months or does the total number of cards you have come into account (i.e. if I have some cards that I've had for more than 2 years). Also, do you think that store credit cards count, like my Victoria's Secret card?

just bonuses (per sd) in the last 24 months, older cards don't count.  i don't think most store cards count, but don't hold me to that.  also cards that only to report to a credit agency that chase doesn't query wouldn't count.  so, if you wanted to google for a bit you could prolly find some more cards that wouldn't count.

here's the link for all cards.  whenever you want a card, just go there to look up what's available (prolly should be on the first page, if it isn't already.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread-subscription.html

I don't think a bonus matters (and you may not be saying it does but just using that wording). It's 5 approvals in 24 months with ANY bank. So, if you apply (and are approved) for 2 chase cards, 2 citi cards, and an amex in a 2 year span you can't get a CSP, Ink, or Freedom. It's very restrictive and why I chose to just hold onto my CSP and Freedom and abandon churning them. Very little reward (say 70k UR points every two years) v. what I would be giving up imo. again, this only applies for UR earning cards (CSP, Ink, Freedom).

FT Wiki on it http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1707643-applying-chase-credit-cards-may-2015-present.html

I thought 5 was the limit, and you could still get approved with 5. Is it 5 including the card (CSP, Ink, or Freedom) you are applying for?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: December 04, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
yeah, I'm not certain whether it's 5 and you can get a UR card as the 6th or if they cut you off if you've had 5. probably important to know if you are going to starve yourself for 2 years to get the card as that would be a pretty terrible feeling to not get it because it was actually 4 and the card was the 5th. I'm not doing it either way so I haven't dug in deeper to confirm.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
After sd's revelation to me I called and cancelled 5 cards last night.  It was exhausting.  sd how do I get the agents to just do what the eff I want quickly without hearing their sales pitch and still treat them with respect?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8205 on: December 04, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
yeah, I'm not certain whether it's 5 and you can get a UR card as the 6th or if they cut you off if you've had 5. probably important to know if you are going to starve yourself for 2 years to get the card as that would be a pretty terrible feeling to not get it because it was actually 4 and the card was the 5th. I'm not doing it either way so I haven't dug in deeper to confirm.

We currently each have a CSP but not the other ones. What should we do? Keep them? Keep only one once the annual fees start hitting? Is there any reason to get the other two if I am not going to adhere to the 5/24 (i.e. is there any reason to have them if I am not going to get the bonus?)?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: December 04, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
After sd's revelation to me I called and cancelled 5 cards last night.  It was exhausting.  sd how do I get the agents to just do what the eff I want quickly without hearing their sales pitch and still treat them with respect?

the retention pitch is the best because sometimes you'll get pretty nice bonus points/account credits for not cancelling and then you just call back in like a week or a month and cancel anyway.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: December 04, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »

We currently each have a CSP but not the other ones. What should we do? Keep them? Keep only one once the annual fees start hitting? Is there any reason to get the other two if I am not going to adhere to the 5/24 (i.e. is there any reason to have them if I am not going to get the bonus?)?

If I were you I'd:

-If you CAN get an Ink and/or Freedom (ie. you haven't crossed the 5/24 barrier yet) I'd get one of those (both if you can)
-Then I'd keep one of the CSP cards and both of the Freedom cards (if you get them) and cancel the Ink
-Use the CSP (normal spend) and Freedoms (bonus categories) for all spend where you aren't making a spend requirement on another card. don't ever cancel them. the Freedoms don't have an annual fee anyway. Plus you will have $3k per quarter for bonus spend if you both have one v. $1,500.
-Then just worry about all other offers and cards as usual

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »

If I were you I'd:

-If you CAN get an Ink and/or Freedom (ie. you haven't crossed the 5/24 barrier yet) I'd get one of those (both if you can)
-Then I'd keep one of the CSP cards and both of the Freedom cards (if you get them) and cancel the Ink
-Use the CSP (normal spend) and Freedoms (bonus categories) for all spend where you aren't making a spend requirement on another card. don't ever cancel them. the Freedoms don't have an annual fee anyway. Plus you will have $3k per quarter for bonus spend if you both have one v. $1,500.
-Then just worry about all other offers and cards as usual

Well I don't think we can get any because between us we have had 6 applications in the last 24 months - and we are authorized users on each other's cards so all 6 count for both of us (I think). The oldest one drops off in June of next year so we'd have to not apply for anything for 6 months to be eligible. (And that's only if the limit is really 5, not 4.)

So maybe we should rethink our strategy of always putting the other as an authorized user. We usually do that so we can knock out the spend faster.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: December 04, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
you need to spend a little time and think about how about what optimizes your spend.  for example, for me the 10 cards per couple limit isn't a huge sacrifice (it is a sacrifice, but not huge).  to get bonuses on five good cards, i'm looking at 15-25k in annual spend.  in a good year (one with lots of work travel) i might spend more than that, but it's about all i can rely on in a down year.  so i'm not forgoing much to keep churning csps and inks (freedom is no longer worth churning, and definitely no auth users).

before you do anything, you need to decide if you want to keep churning chase ur cards.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: December 04, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »

you need to spend a little time and think about how about what optimizes your spend.  for example, for me the 10 cards per couple limit isn't a huge sacrifice (it is a sacrifice, but not huge).  to get bonuses on five good cards, i'm looking at 15-25k in annual spend.  in a good year (one with lots of work travel) i might spend more than that, but it's about all i can rely on in a down year.  so i'm not forgoing much to keep churning csps and inks (freedom is no longer worth churning, and definitely no auth users).

before you do anything, you need to decide if you want to keep churning chase ur cards.

If becoming an authorized user counts to the limit, it makes your plan very difficult unless both spend an awful lot of money

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: December 04, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »

just skimmed the first bit of this.  5 is the limit for denial, you can't have 5 and get the csp as the 6th.  but here's the big thing.  it only applies to csps and freedoms, not inks.

i didn't know that.  i may have to rethink my own strategy.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: December 04, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »
If becoming an authorized user counts to the limit, it makes your plan very difficult unless both spend an awful lot of money

not for me.  it's sometimes a bit of a pain in the ass shuffling the card we're spending on between my wife and myself, but it's not that big of a deal.  i could see that it would be difficult for some couples though.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: December 04, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »

Yeah, that would be a pain for us. We would still be able to cover most spends if we use the card (no matter which of us is on the card) to pay bills online; but it would take more attention to detail instead of just both of us spend until we get there.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: December 04, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
somebody hit me with their CSP referral link.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: December 04, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
I've read some reports of deleting AUs and then disputing them off your credit report to get under the 5 accounts.  Will try with the wife and report back.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: December 04, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »
I've read some reports of deleting AUs and then disputing them off your credit report to get under the 5 accounts.  Will try with the wife and report back.

this is the manufactured spend of the UR point game  :lol:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: December 04, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »

I thought 5 was the limit, and you could still get approved with 5. Is it 5 including the card (CSP, Ink, or Freedom) you are applying for?

my wife was denied with 5 (3 cards, 2 AUs)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8220 on: December 04, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »

this is the manufactured spend of the UR point game  :lol:

:)     I'd like to get a CSP again in the family.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: December 04, 2015, 03:27:29 PM »
you can also supposedly beat the limit with a pre-approval code.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: December 09, 2015, 12:36:53 PM »
Accor just acquired Fairmont, Swissôtel, and some hotel group called Raffles which has no US properties but looks pretty high end. Pretty elite brands that now have a decent amount of properties.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: December 09, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
also, probably a good time to get that Fairmont card with 2 free nights.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: December 09, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
If I am shopping on Amazon, is there a better credit card to use than my CSP?