Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4685823 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #10650 on: May 28, 2014, 09:38:21 AM »

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: May 28, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
I also give credit to Glass for keeping the Royals where they belong. But he seems to have no true interest in championships. Sad. He's no Ewing Kauffman.

Are you giving him credit for keeping the team in Independence and suggesting that's where a professional baseball team belongs? I'll hold my comments until I confirm that's what you were meaning to say.

I give him credit for not moving the club out of KC. (Independence, whatever).

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: May 28, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »
Are you giving him credit for keeping the team Independence?

what are they dependent on? did you mean In Depends because they are in diapers and like Larry Johnson they need to lose them?

I was asking if he truly believes the Royals "belong" out in the suburbs. Arrowhead does belong out there because there are 8 homes games each year, draws more than 2x the people, and tailgating is actually a legitimate part of football. A baseball team that has 81 home games each year, many of them falling on weeknights where it's not easy to draw a significant crowd should be playing in the city. Glass turned down FREE land around 8th and main downtown. Baseball is meant to be played in the city.
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »
I also give credit to Glass for keeping the Royals where they belong. But he seems to have no true interest in championships. Sad. He's no Ewing Kauffman.

Are you giving him credit for keeping the team in Independence and suggesting that's where a professional baseball team belongs? I'll hold my comments until I confirm that's what you were meaning to say.

I give him credit for not moving the club out of KC. (Independence, whatever).

Oh...well yeah.  :thumbsup:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: May 28, 2014, 11:07:03 AM »

what are they dependent on? did you mean In Depends because they are in diapers and like Larry Johnson they need to lose them?

I was asking if he truly believes the Royals "belong" out in the suburbs. Arrowhead does belong out there because there are 8 homes games each year, draws more than 2x the people, and tailgating is actually a legitimate part of football. A baseball team that has 81 home games each year, many of them falling on weeknights where it's not easy to draw a significant crowd should be playing in the city. Glass turned down FREE land around 8th and main downtown. Baseball is meant to be played in the city.

it was just a word joke. i knew WTF you meant

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: May 28, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

it was just a word joke. i knew WTF you meant

:frown:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: May 28, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »
Andy McCullough is great tho!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »

he has been absolutely delightful!
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: May 28, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »

he has been absolutely delightful!

He's very good.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: May 28, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
royals tucks hate the crap out of him

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #10660 on: May 28, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
My God.  Yost is the winningest manager the Royals have had since Bob Boone.

JFC.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »
royals tucks hate the crap out of him

I've never seen/ met a Royals tuck.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: May 28, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »

I'm fine with the stadium where it is.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »

Would most of us like a downtown stadium? Sure, but yeah ... least of our problems.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #10664 on: May 28, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »

I was very pro-Downtown ball park for the pure justification of helping develop Downtown KC.

Kauffman, as a venue, is fine, especially after renovation.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10665 on: May 28, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »

I was very pro-Downtown ball park for the pure justification of helping develop Downtown KC.

I'm frustrated by the stadium location. I don't really want to get back into the asininity of how the stadium votes/renovations went down (also, I don't think the location ultimately affects the on-field product), so I'll stick to a few key points here:

1. The Royals lose a significant amount of weeknight attendance because of the stadium location. It's too far away from a lot of potential weeknight attendees and the parking cost effectively at least doubles the price of a ticket for any single person who might be looking to just go out and catch a game alone.

2. Sprint Center has shown how much downtown KC lost by not getting the Royals. Even without a sports team, Sprint Center has helped central downtown and surrounding areas (Westside, Crossroads) rejuvenate faster than they probably would have otherwise. Thanks goodness KC/Jackson County at least had the good sense to go ahead with Sprint Center. (Also, Sprint Center has shown how stupid the parking/traffic arguments were.) 

3. The renovations out at the K are fine, but every time I look out over the fountains and see the FCA and Adams Mark (or whatever it is now) instead of the P&L Building and Bartle Hall, a little bit of me dies inside. And that, combined with #1 and the other little hassles that just seem to get added every year (increased ticket and food and drink prices, more service fees, more security theatre, parking and tailgate harassment, idiots yelling at people who don't take their hats off for God Bless America), along with the Royals' commitment to mediocrity and generally unlikable roster, are why I now go to maybe 5 games a year, instead of the 20 I used to attend.

I'm sure there are others like me, but I'm also sure it doesn't matter much to the Royals, their bottom line, or their crappy team, so I try to keep my feelings to myself for the most part. But I just have to vent every now and then. I'm glad there are still plenty of people who can get the same magic feelings I used to get out at the ballpark.  :frown: 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:25:16 PM by slimz »

Offline k-state87

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: May 28, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
lol 5-0 Astros in the 3rd inning. Which team is the one rebuilding & which team is "all in"?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: May 28, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: May 28, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
this is a very dark time

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: May 28, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »
Listening to Denny right now. He's 71 years old. That's not a knock. I only mention it because even as a Royals employee, I know he wants what's best for the franchise. I'd love it if he went all Frank White/ Non-racist Donald Sterling on the Royals brass and ineptitude before dropping the mic all over their fat faces.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
 :lol: Hayes gets his first hit in like a million at bats and Phys is like "and the crowd is roaring, they no he's been waiting for that hit..."  :facepalm:

Minutes later Phys again "all they need is a bloop and a blast and they're back in it."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: May 28, 2014, 03:19:48 PM »

I'm frustrated by the stadium location. I don't really want to get back into the asininity of how the stadium votes/renovations went down (also, I don't think the location ultimately affects the on-field product), so I'll stick to a few key points here:

1. The Royals lose a significant amount of weeknight attendance because of the stadium location. It's too far away from a lot of potential weeknight attendees and the parking cost effectively at least doubles the price of a ticket for any single person who might be looking to just go out and catch a game alone.

2. Sprint Center has shown how much downtown KC lost by not getting the Royals. Even without a sports team, Sprint Center has helped central downtown and surrounding areas (Westside, Crossroads) rejuvenate faster than they probably would have otherwise. Thanks goodness KC/Jackson County at least had the good sense to go ahead with Sprint Center. (Also, Sprint Center has shown how stupid the parking/traffic arguments were.) 

3. The renovations out at the K are fine, but every time I look out over the fountains and see the FCA and Adams Mark (or whatever it is now) instead of the P&L Building and Bartle Hall, a little bit of me dies inside. And that, combined with #1 and the other little hassles that just seem to get added every year (increased ticket and food and drink prices, more service fees, more security theatre, parking and tailgate harassment, idiots yelling at people who don't take their hats off for God Bless America), along with the Royals' commitment to mediocrity and generally unlikable roster, are why I now go to maybe 5 games a year, instead of the 20 I used to attend.

I'm sure there are others like me, but I'm also sure it doesn't matter much to the Royals, their bottom line, or their crappy team, so I try to keep my feelings to myself for the most part. But I just have to vent every now and then. I'm glad there are still plenty of people who can get the same magic feelings I used to get out at the ballpark.  :frown:

This is a good post, and I agree with all of it. However, if the team was a winner they could play where ever they want and I'd be there.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: May 28, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
I was a rough ridin' idiot to be excited about this season. Shame on me.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: May 28, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »

Hey man....you're a Royals fan.  It's all we got.  This is how Iowa St. fans feel about their program. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: May 28, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »

we all were bud. we all were. :frown:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."