Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4769771 times)

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #30600 on: October 30, 2014, 08:57:07 AM »
Thoughts on buying a Royals World Series hoodie even though they didn't win the world series.  Will I get made fun of outside of Kansas?

Do people buy clothes for games they lost?
Not to be too cyclone'y but I think the world series is the single hardest sports championship to get into. To go 7 games and lose by 1? No shame in that hoodie.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30601 on: October 30, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
I tailgated out there last night and had a blast. I was waiting for tickets to come down on stubhub the last hour and they actually went up $2-300 the last hour. What a fun ride tho.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30602 on: October 30, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »
Thoughts on buying a Royals World Series hoodie even though they didn't win the world series.  Will I get made fun of outside of Kansas?

Not to be too cyclone'y but I think the world series is the single hardest sports championship to get into. To go 7 games and lose by 1? No shame in that hoodie.

They are all equally hard, really. At least in pro sports, anyway.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30603 on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
bum and panda were the best two players.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30604 on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
Can somebody link me to a post or to a site where it lists the duration of each of the player's contract?

Simple version: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/kansas-city-royals/

Detailed version: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tUTE2VVPkfB9ARpW5-5U-TQ&output=html

If reading the simple version correctly, we have more ppl to retain than cash to sign, I would bet.  I mean, Hosmer, Ventura, Herrera, and a whole bunch of 2014's on that list.  Also, it is weird that Davis is making more than Sheilds, and that Perez is making so little. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30605 on: October 30, 2014, 09:09:31 AM »
bum and panda were the best two players.

Pence.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #30606 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
It would be cyclone'y if Royals fans were patting themselves on the back for going .500.  Making the World Series after sweeping the ALCS and losing in 7? Not so much. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30607 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
Can somebody link me to a post or to a site where it lists the duration of each of the player's contract?

Simple version: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/kansas-city-royals/

Detailed version: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tUTE2VVPkfB9ARpW5-5U-TQ&output=html

If reading the simple version correctly, we have more ppl to retain than cash to sign, I would bet.  I mean, Hosmer, Ventura, Herrera, and a whole bunch of 2014's on that list.  Also, it is weird that Davis is making more than Sheilds, and that Perez is making so little.
Quite a few guys eligible for their first arbitration are going to get significant raises. Cain, Herrera, Moose, Duffy, and maybe Dyson. I don't think we'll be big buyers in the FA market
:adios:

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30608 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »

They are all equally hard, really. At least in pro sports, anyway.
World series is the toughest IMO.

Offline kstatefan11

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30609 on: October 30, 2014, 09:33:38 AM »
90 feet. Puke.

90 feet away from extra innings with the heart of our bullpen used up and the best of theirs left. Painfully close, but not really that close.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30610 on: October 30, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
To get to the World Series in the fashion that we did was simply unbelievable. I was pumped when we went on those kind of winning streaks during the season, but to do that in the playoffs? That was simply unreal. I hope we can do it again next year. I'd sure like to go to some more playoff games. :royals:
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #30611 on: October 30, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »
It would be cyclone'y if Royals fans were patting themselves on the back for going .500.  Making the World Series after sweeping the ALCS and losing in 7? Not so much.

This. Jesus.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30612 on: October 30, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
Guts should have never seen the 4th inning. 

Eff.... why am I doing this to myself????

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30613 on: October 30, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
Is it a coincidence or not? We hadn't lost a game in the playoffs until Sung Woo stepped foot on American soil again?  :th_twocents:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #30614 on: October 30, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »

I'm no expert on pro baseball arbitration, but it seems like Cain, Duffy, Herrera, and Holland are going to be commanding much larger salaries.

They were talking on 810 about unloading Holland and moving Davis to relief because they think Holland will command about $8 million, minimum, and seeing if you can get Hochevar for an incentive laden contract to be your 8th inning guy.

I don't know if that's a real option or not, but it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.  I can't imagine the payroll not exceeding $100 million next year.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30615 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »
The question then becomes does one special post season change a decade of cheap Glass salary budget?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30616 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:36 AM »

Yeah, what the heck with calling this Cycloney? Last year when Dayton said it was like going to the World Series when we didn't make the playoffs was Cycloney. Celebrating a season in which you go to game 7 of the freaking World Series only to come up short is not. No way.

Look, we all know that the greater you invest in something as a sports fan, the greater the impact of 1 huge game, win or lose. I don't begrudge anyone of being extremely disappointed or hurt by the loss, we all are. However, IMHO its okay to begin to look back and see how great this season has been the last couple of months, probably some of the greatest moments of my life as a sports fan.

I've always thought that when you have a loss that hurts a ton (and as K-State fans we know what those are) that also means you've also had a bunch of great victories to get there, otherwise the loss wouldn't hurt as much. Even in the midst of the loss, I try to look back at how enjoyable those wins were too, I suppose guess that's probably just how I cope as a fan.

That sucked last night, but this has been one hell of a ride.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #30617 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »
Very well said, gE father.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30618 on: October 30, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
does Bumgarner get elevated into the company of Bo Ryan and Sirr parker?  Seems reasonable.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #30619 on: October 30, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
The question then becomes does one special post season change a decade of cheap Glass salary budget?

I guess it depends on whether or not fielding a consistent winner gives him more money in ticket sales and a better TV deal.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30620 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »

Yeah, what the heck with calling this Cycloney? Last year when Dayton said it was like going to the World Series when we didn't make the playoffs was Cycloney. Celebrating a season in which you go to game 7 of the freaking World Series only to come up short is not. No way.

Look, we all know that the greater you invest in something as a sports fan, the greater the impact of 1 huge game, win or lose. I don't begrudge anyone of being extremely disappointed or hurt by the loss, we all are. However, IMHO its okay to begin to look back and see how great this season has been the last couple of months, probably some of the greatest moments of my life as a sports fan.

I've always thought that when you have a loss that hurts a ton (and as K-State fans we know what those are) that also means you've also had a bunch of great victories to get there, otherwise the loss wouldn't hurt as much. Even in the midst of the loss, I try to look back at how enjoyable those wins were too, I suppose guess that's probably just how I cope as a fan.

That sucked last night, but this has been one hell of a ride.
Well said bro. Crazy fun season.

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30621 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »
In the end, don't let the Joe Buck/Mad Bum love affair spoil the fun that has been this post-season run.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30622 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »
I've went from super invested sports fan and getting way too burned by the Lin Elliott and sirr parkers of the world to trying to detach from it all.... Then 2010 Jacob pullens came around and got that fire sparked again.... And this October has put it into overdrive. You know what? I like being invested... I like the hurt because it comes from a lot of joy with IRL friends and family and my Internet bros as well. I like being the guy people in the office people know to come say congrats or tough loss.

Through all of those joys and losses, not sure I ever felt as strange as I did last night with the ringing in my ears from the Gordon play and finally taking it all in and realizing there will be no more baseball this year. Seemed unfathomable given this run. To lay there and take it all in and let out one last deep breath....wow. What an experience. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30623 on: October 30, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »
I've went from super invested sports fan and getting way too burned by the Lin Elliott and sirr parkers of the world to trying to detach from it all.... Then 2010 Jacob pullens came around and got that fire sparked again.... And this October has put it into overdrive. You know what? I like being invested... I like the hurt because it comes from a lot of joy with IRL friends and family and my Internet bros as well. I like being the guy people in the office people know to come say congrats or tough loss.

Through all of those joys and losses, not sure I ever felt as strange as I did last night with the ringing in my ears from the Gordon play and finally taking it all in and realizing there will be no more baseball this year. Seemed unfathomable given this run. To lay there and take it all in and let out one last deep breath....wow. What an experience. 

Well said.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30624 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
Is it a coincidence or not? We hadn't lost a game in the playoffs until Sung Woo stepped foot on American soil again?  :th_twocents:
Well said fanning!