Author Topic: (G)Rumblings ...  (Read 34718 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: (G)Rumblings ...
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2010, 10:33:05 PM »
Don't forget that BCS thingy KK.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: I beleive this would be another "Grumbling"
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
just pull a Hoosiers and only play four Frank.

The sumbitch is determined to have his players "do it the right way".

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2010, 10:35:23 PM »
Don't forget that BCS thingy KK.

I didn't mention that, but I thought about it.  There is definitely real in-season value to being ranked highly in football.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »
If Curt's last name was Gonzalez this wouldn't be happening.  :opcat:

So true.  Free Curtis!  (Someone get  :ck: the link ASAP).   :driving:

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2010, 11:19:02 PM »
There's a lot of value being in the top 5 for the first few weeks of the season.  Probably more valuable than Elite 8 vs. Sweet 16 or whatever this dumbcac lesson gets us.
Some value, but ask Texas how much. Single most moronic thing ever posted.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2010, 11:21:25 PM »
I could really give a eff less what our ranking is right now.  It's cool to brag about I guess but at long as we get at least a 2 seed in March I'll be cool with that.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
I am going to go absolutely bonkers if we happen to make it to number 1 this year. Rankings are really great for the fan base. You think the students show up like they did on Friday if we're not ranked or even in the 20s?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
we still have to protect our ranking early in the season.  Number 1 seeds don't lose games like this.  November can hurt you a crap ton in feb/march when seeds are the most important thing. 

Frank needs to see that one will effect the other.  Resume isn't just conference season.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:38 PM »
My issue with this is that it is stale.  It started with Huggy, here is a list of players that we know of that were suspended or benches because they weren't buying in.

Cartier Martin
Bill Walker
Jacob Pullen
Luis Colon
Jamar Samuels
Curtis Kelly

Seriously it is time for a schitck.  Either he has the most out of control players in the country or he's over the top dramatic.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:50 PM »
With the schedule we have, I'm going to assume that Frank is aware that the non-con is important.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
The only in season value in being ranked high in the preseason or early portion of the season is that a few losses here and there don't hurt your seeding as much as a loss to a team that is ranked lower. 

Being ranked in the preseason is also nice because it shows that a team has earned respect, and a reputation, and a coach can tell a recruit "you see, we've been Sweet 16 two years in a row, and now we're top 5 heading into this season, but we could really use a man like you to help get us into the final four..blah blah blah."  It also earns you much needed publicity.

Other than that there is little value in being ranked highly in the preseason.  Sure, you might say that #1 seeds are much of the time highly ranked in preseason polls, but that is because they are great basketball teams, not because of any preseason ranking.

In 2009 the preseason top ten included was 1. KU, 2. Mich. St., 3. Texas, 4. UK, 5. Nova, 6. UNC, 7. Purdue, 8. WVU, 9. Duke, 10. Tenn and Butler was #11.  Can someone please tell me the valuable role, other than what I described earlier, that being ranked highly in the preseason played for these teams?  Because, I don't see it.

Media coverage/exposure.  Pretty much all I think it is worth.  Different debate about how valuable that is, but making espn highlights/national talking points is definitely top 5 territory, particularly when we are going up against the zags/duke.

Yep.  It's all media exposure.  Frank himself has commented on the value of getting in the top 25 because it gets us on SportsCenter every night.  When you're a top 5 team, you're discussed by every talking head at every freaking halftime of every ESPN game.  You're kidding yourself if you think there's no value in that.  KIDDING YOURSELF.

Also, I think I'm being pretty generous by saying this might get us an extra win in the postseason.  Remember when Jake had the fantastic KU game but got sat for most of @MU?  Well, the loss to MU put us firmly on the bubble, and in March, Jake got brutally Travoned.  "Frank being Frank" is just another way of saying "stupid being stupid".

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
This is probably less about CK and more about other people.  Kind of surprised about the reactions here.  Frank has done this every year.  If you want to enjoy his adorable rants on the court, you have to live with this.  They go together.

He's never done it with a player this good for a game this big.

He still hasn't.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2010, 07:58:38 AM »
This is probably less about CK and more about other people.  Kind of surprised about the reactions here.  Frank has done this every year.  If you want to enjoy his adorable rants on the court, you have to live with this.  They go together.

He's never done it with a player this good for a game this big.

He still hasn't.

Yeah, this is my hope

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
Thanks for clarifying kitton_mittons.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2010, 08:16:38 AM »
Thanks for clarifying kitton_mittons.

You spelled Kitten wrong.  It's okay.  It's kind of early on a Monday.

But we can both agree that we love the KSU Cats!!!

Eat-em-up!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »
jesus. guess we need to hang a top 3 banner or something. who's going to make it? rustycat?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2010, 08:32:57 AM »
jesus. guess we need to hang a top 3 banner or something. who's going to make it? rustycat?

We could paint the walls.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2010, 08:40:23 AM »

We could paint the walls.

sounds great. i'll get the paint and next time you're in town we can head over and paint the place up and then reminisce over that one time that the cats were in the top five for part of the year and maybe watch old espn sportscenter top 5 highlights together. sounds like a hoot. national media coverage...yayyyee!

:jerk:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:47:23 AM by Rick Daris »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
Yep.  It's all media exposure.  Frank himself has commented on the value of getting in the top 25 because it gets us on SportsCenter every night.  When you're a top 5 team, you're discussed by every talking head at every freaking halftime of every ESPN game.  You're kidding yourself if you think there's no value in that.  KIDDING YOURSELF.

Also, I think I'm being pretty generous by saying this might get us an extra win in the postseason.  Remember when Jake had the fantastic KU game but got sat for most of @MU?  Well, the loss to MU put us firmly on the bubble, and in March, Jake got brutally Travoned.  "Frank being Frank" is just another way of saying "stupid being stupid".

I don't disagree with what you said, but do you think Frank will ever change?  I don't.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
I don't disagree with what you said, but do you think Frank will ever change?  I don't.

He's changed his recruiting style.  :dunno:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »
I don't disagree with what you said, but do you think Frank will ever change?  I don't.

He's changed his recruiting style.  :dunno:

Yeah, but I think he changed that b/c he wants to be less Frank being Frank. 

But when it comes to handling players, when he needs to send a "buy in or quit" message, he's going to send it.  Probably his biggest weakness, but I don't expect him to change.  If it doesn't work, he'll be finding another job (eventually) I guess.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »
Oh well, hopefully we can get enough "right fitters" to limp our way into the NCAA tourney every now and again . . . important to have a couple of guys that Frank can play head games with as well.

The "Whatever Frank does or says is fine by me" crowd is having to dig deep into the playbook right now . . . dig real, real deep.

Deity level in 3 years . . . only at K-State.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »
Guys, we went to the Elite Eight last year and he  hasn't lost a game yet this year.

At LEAST do the guy a favor by waiting to see what happens with VT before you run him into the ground.

Offline kcnut

• The CEO of the Brad Essex Report and cont. writer for red state I also hate oklahoma so very much.
  • Combo-Fan
  • hail to the king.
    • View Profile
    • The Brad Essex Report
Re: Rumblings ...
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »
marfan strikes again  :cry:

Would do marfan chick.  :thumbsup:

Was thinking the same thing. :fatty:
I would do things to her that may be illegal in some countries
LHC Bill Snyder is as american as you can get.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »
Guys, we went to the Elite Eight last year and he  hasn't lost a game yet this year.

At LEAST do the guy a favor by waiting to see what happens with VT before you run him into the ground.

While I tend to agree, message boards wouldn't be any fun if all the fans did that.