Author Topic: (G)Rumblings ...  (Read 34672 times)

Offline 1992

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: (G)Rumblings ...
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »
Will be ranked in the 20s in 2 weeks.
Go to hell, Texas

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2010, 09:40:13 AM »
Oh well, hopefully we can get enough "right fitters" to limp our way into the NCAA tourney every now and again . . . important to have a couple of guys that Frank can play head games with as well.

The "Whatever Frank does or says is fine by me" crowd is having to dig deep into the playbook right now . . . dig real, real deep.

Deity level in 3 years . . . only at K-State.

Frank did literally save our basketball program.  Literally. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2010, 09:41:31 AM »
Will be ranked in the 20s in 2 weeks.

and?

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
The only in season value in being ranked high in the preseason or early portion of the season is that a few losses here and there don't hurt your seeding as much as a loss to a team that is ranked lower. 

Being ranked in the preseason is also nice because it shows that a team has earned respect, and a reputation, and a coach can tell a recruit "you see, we've been Sweet 16 two years in a row, and now we're top 5 heading into this season, but we could really use a man like you to help get us into the final four..blah blah blah."  It also earns you much needed publicity.

Other than that there is little value in being ranked highly in the preseason.  Sure, you might say that #1 seeds are much of the time highly ranked in preseason polls, but that is because they are great basketball teams, not because of any preseason ranking.

In 2009 the preseason top ten included was 1. KU, 2. Mich. St., 3. Texas, 4. UK, 5. Nova, 6. UNC, 7. Purdue, 8. WVU, 9. Duke, 10. Tenn and Butler was #11.  Can someone please tell me the valuable role, other than what I described earlier, that being ranked highly in the preseason played for these teams?  Because, I don't see it.

Media coverage/exposure.  Pretty much all I think it is worth.  Different debate about how valuable that is, but making espn highlights/national talking points is definitely top 5 territory, particularly when we are going up against the zags/duke.

Yep.  It's all media exposure.  Frank himself has commented on the value of getting in the top 25 because it gets us on SportsCenter every night.  When you're a top 5 team, you're discussed by every talking head at every freaking halftime of every ESPN game.  You're kidding yourself if you think there's no value in that.  KIDDING YOURSELF.

Also, I think I'm being pretty generous by saying this might get us an extra win in the postseason.  Remember when Jake had the fantastic KU game but got sat for most of @MU?  Well, the loss to MU put us firmly on the bubble, and in March, Jake got brutally Travoned.  "Frank being Frank" is just another way of saying "stupid being stupid".

Yeah.  But we aren't a bubble team this year.  I think the possibility that this helps players for the games coming up is more important than this game (which we could still win without Curt).  Like I said, Frank is setting this up as a win-win.

"Curt, we can win without you.  If you don't want to be here, we'll be fine."

"Curt, we need you out there.  You let the team down.  Earn back their respect.  They need you to lead."

I understand the media and that is real and should be a consideration.  But Frank is going to do what he's going to do and I think it has value as well.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »

The "Whatever Frank does or says is fine by me" crowd is having to dig deep into the playbook right now . . . dig real, real deep.

Dax, the tards love him for this.  They love it when coaches pick discipline over all else.   crap, they were playing with comparos between Frank and Hartman the other day.

Frank is in there like swimwear with those guys. 

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »
The only in season value in being ranked high in the preseason or early portion of the season is that a few losses here and there don't hurt your seeding as much as a loss to a team that is ranked lower. 

Being ranked in the preseason is also nice because it shows that a team has earned respect, and a reputation, and a coach can tell a recruit "you see, we've been Sweet 16 two years in a row, and now we're top 5 heading into this season, but we could really use a man like you to help get us into the final four..blah blah blah."  It also earns you much needed publicity.

Other than that there is little value in being ranked highly in the preseason.  Sure, you might say that #1 seeds are much of the time highly ranked in preseason polls, but that is because they are great basketball teams, not because of any preseason ranking.

In 2009 the preseason top ten included was 1. KU, 2. Mich. St., 3. Texas, 4. UK, 5. Nova, 6. UNC, 7. Purdue, 8. WVU, 9. Duke, 10. Tenn and Butler was #11.  Can someone please tell me the valuable role, other than what I described earlier, that being ranked highly in the preseason played for these teams?  Because, I don't see it.

Media coverage/exposure.  Pretty much all I think it is worth.  Different debate about how valuable that is, but making espn highlights/national talking points is definitely top 5 territory, particularly when we are going up against the zags/duke.

Yep.  It's all media exposure.  Frank himself has commented on the value of getting in the top 25 because it gets us on SportsCenter every night.  When you're a top 5 team, you're discussed by every talking head at every freaking halftime of every ESPN game.  You're kidding yourself if you think there's no value in that.  KIDDING YOURSELF.

Also, I think I'm being pretty generous by saying this might get us an extra win in the postseason.  Remember when Jake had the fantastic KU game but got sat for most of @MU?  Well, the loss to MU put us firmly on the bubble, and in March, Jake got brutally Travoned.  "Frank being Frank" is just another way of saying "stupid being stupid".

Yeah.  But we aren't a bubble team this year.  I think the possibility that this helps players for the games coming up is more important than this game (which we could still win without Curt).  Like I said, Frank is setting this up as a win-win.

"Curt, we need you out there.  You let the team down.  Earn back their respect.  They need you to lead."

I understand the media and that is real and should be a consideration.  But Frank is going to do what he's going to do and I think it has value as well.

I don't think that would be very motivating.  It would make me less likely to try or feel responsible. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »

Dax, the tards love him for this.  They love it when coaches pick discipline over all else.   crap, they were playing with comparos between Frank and Hartman the other day.

Frank is in there like swimwear with those guys. 

Well when we do fall out of the top 5 we'll just have to hope some guys lose ahead of us to work our way back in to the national title picture.  I mean Frank knows this, we know this, the players know this.  But he will do what it takes.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »

I don't think that would be very motivating.  It would make me less likely to try or feel responsible. 
It's his senior season. Getting benched by your college coach doesn't bode well for having any shot at the NBA. Also, have you even seen CK's ego? He wants to matter.

Offline RTB

• Fan
  • Caaats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
Ahh, now I see where the Willie Reed "second-semester-schollie" is coming from!   :surprised:
Frank Martin- "I used to teach math in HS but didn't scream as much because nobody was keeping score."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
this thread is very  :runaway:

too much panic at the disco.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2010, 10:23:09 AM »

I just used that game as an example of Frank's stuborness not helping at all.  There is no evidence that sitting Curt would help us win games later, but there is evidence that it won't help at all.

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »
4 years ago.........  "Guys, if we win this game there's NO WAY we don't start getting votes!!

Today................."Guys, if Frank benches CK and we lose and drop out of the top 5 I am going to hang myself!!!"

:flush:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2010, 10:26:46 AM »
4 years ago.........  "Guys, if we win this game there's NO WAY we don't start getting votes!!

Today................."Guys, if Frank benches CK and we lose and drop out of the top 5 I am going to hang myself!!!"

yeah, your right.  Lets go back to "the good old days".

Dumbass.

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »

Dumbass.

Ya, that's what I was implying with my message.  Orrrrrr I might have been suggesting that without the guy, who you guys are wanting to kill because he is disciplining a player, then we would be like we were 4 years ago. 

:dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »

I just used that game as an example of Frank's stuborness not helping at all.  There is no evidence that sitting Curt would help us win games later, but there is evidence that it won't help at all.

you might want to find more "evidence" because I don't think your "evidence" is actually really "evidence".

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2010, 10:50:02 AM »

There is no evidence that sitting Curt would help us win games later, but there is evidence that it won't help at all.

This argument is pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2010, 10:50:57 AM »
No it isn't.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »

Dumbass.

Ya, that's what I was implying with my message.  Orrrrrr I might have been suggesting that without the guy, who you guys are wanting to kill because he is disciplining a player, then we would be like we were 4 years ago. 

:dunno:

Hemmy is the only Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) here(no offense Hemmy) that actually wants to fire Frank.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »

Post less, a lot less

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »
kkietz

Post #613
MyFanPage
Add Buddy   
Curtis Kelly   Reply
I asked Frank if CK is playing tomorrow and he said, "probably not". I asked if there was anything he could do in the next 24 hours to get in good graces and he said he's in good graces or he'd be off the team.

Full interview airs at 4:00 on WHB.

Now this makes no sense.  

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »
No it isn't.

yes it is. also, i could just as easily argue that frank being tough on jake early in during his freshman year in that game against mu that you are referencing is what turned jake into the preseason all american that he is today and partly responsible for why kstate went to the elite eight last year. granted it would be a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) argument/talking point, but it didn't seem to stop you.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:33:19 AM by Rick Daris »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »
We won't win without Kelly.  That's why I want him to play.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
We won't win without Kelly.  That's why I want him to play.

Exactly. If Judge and Asprilla had combined for 20 instead of 2 no one would be saying anything.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »
No it isn't.

yes it is. also, i could just as easily argue that frank being tough on jake early in during his freshman year in that game against mu that you are referencing is what turned jake into the preseason all american that he is today and partly responsible for why kstate went to the elite eight last year. granted it would be a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) argument/talking point, but it didn't seem to stop you. are you going to refute my "evidence"?
michigancat's "evidence" only supports his claim that Frank benching players for not trying hard enough makes us lose. You are not allowed to draw evidence from the same situation unless you are supporting his claim. Jake probably should have played under wooldridge, at least he wouldn't have pushed him to be the best he can be because he knew how talented he was without trying that hard.

Your welcome michigancat.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
Frank is just like Hugs . . . there's almost always a level of drama and chaos, and sometimes it plays out well, and sometimes it blows everything up.