Author Topic: (G)Rumblings ...  (Read 33904 times)

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: (G)Rumblings ...
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »
K-STATE'S KELLY UNLIKELY TO PLAY TUESDAY AGAINST VIRGINIA TECH
8 minutes ago
Curtis Kelly has started the season in the doghouse.

Kansas State’s senior forward, a Preseason first-team Big 12 selection, didn’t dress in the Wildcats season-opening win against James Madison on Friday night and probably won’t play Tuesday against No. 21 Virginia Tech.

Kelly averaged 11.5 points and 6.2 rebounds last season while starting all 37 games for Frank Martin in his first season of eligibility following his transfer from UConn.

However, the 6-foot-9 Kelly’s work ethic has been questioned throughout his career.

``He probably won’t go on Tuesday,” Martin said. ``We need to be at our best in March, so I need him to be consistently good for me than the last two days. I’m not happy with the way he’s been the last two weeks.”

``We’re a very young team and I need good leadership from him,” Martin added.

Martin opted to start sophomore Wally Judge and former FIU standout Freddy Asprilla up front against James Madison. The duo combined to score just two points and grab five rebounds in the 75-61 victory.
:facepalm:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
I'm gonna go SODJ on this topic if we lose this game because of this crap.

I was thinking this exact thing

It is a win-win in Frank's eyes.  We have a lot of opportunities to get quality wins in the non-con.  Meltdown coming super early here.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 05:53:17 PM »
stupid.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »
If this continues Gonzaga is going to beat us by 30

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »
If this continues Gonzaga is going to beat us by 30

crap, V-Tech will beat us by 20.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »
damn

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
Kellis makes it sound a bit sunshinier    :dunno:

Curtis Kelly doing better in practice, but still may not play against Virginia Tech
Kansas State basketball coach Frank Martin sent a message to Curtis Kelly on Friday when he benched the senior forward in the Wildcats’ season opener against James Madison.

He thought Kelly needed to practice with more energy and be a better teammate.

So far that message has been received. When asked about Kelly’s practice habits over the weekend, Martin said:

“He’s been better. A lot better.”

But that doesn’t necessarily mean Kelly will be back in the starting lineup on Tuesday when Virginia Tech comes to Bramlage Coliseum. Martin said it doesn’t even guarantee he will dress for the game.

“Just because he’s been halfway decent for two days I’m not going to do back flips,” Martin said. “He’s got to do right for an extended period of time. The last couple days he’s been more the way that he needs to be, unlike the way he’s been for the three and four weeks leading into last game.”

Kelly was not made available to the media today, but his teammates said he has responded well since his benching. Nick Russell said Kelly was practicing hard. Rodney McGruder and Wally Judge said he has become more vocal.

“Curt is maturing and becoming more of a leader,” Judge said. That’s what we need.”

Here’s how Jacob Pullen assesses his senior teammate.

“He’s been doing better. He continues to improve and continues to try and understand what Frank wants. It’s all about mental toughness, and you have to be able to deal with the adversity we go through in practice. Once he gets that together, him and Frank will be on the same page and they’ll mesh just fine like they did last year.”

Jamar Samuels making progress

Martin said junior forward Jamar Samuels is beginning to play like his old self in practice, and may finally be ready to put a minor eye injury behind him and play this week.

“With Jamar we’re still trying to reintegrate him into what we’re doing,” Martin said. “He wasn’t any good in practice when he got that eye deal. But he’s actually been really good here the last two days.”

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »
What do I say when goEMAW kid Cole looks at his schedule poster (the shitty "angry" KSTATEO one, not the goEMAW happy one) and asks who #24 is that he doesn't see play this year?

WHAT DO I SAY?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
Jeff's thoughts :dunno:

I recorded Kansas State's opener against James Madison. Much was made of Frank Martin benching Curtis Kelly as the coach is unhappy with how Kelly has approached his senior season from a work ethic standpoint. I'm familiar with Martin sending messages to his players, but I'll bet the house that Kelly is good to go Tuesday when the Wildcats are visited by Virginia Tech. The Hokies are talented, predicted during the preseason to finish second in the ACC. They're a senior-laden unit, and the biggest concern facing K-State entering the season was who would play alongside All-American Jacob Pullen in the backcourt. A couple of sophomores, Nick Russell and Rodney McGruder, were particularly effective, and the Wildcats' vaunted frontcourt only scored seven points. Wonder if Martin knew what he was doing by benching Kelly.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
I think he's decided that since he can't send a message by playing horrible players this year he's going to do it by sitting the really good ones.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »
If CK ends up getting suspended for Presbyterian too, he might as well have punched a girl (on accident).

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »
If CK ends up getting suspended for Presbyterian too, he might as well have punched a girl (on accident).

good comparison

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
Put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself what you would do if  :ck: wasn't giving you the effort you wanted from him in practice.  Do you just let it go unchecked and hope he snaps out of it? Do you belittle him daily at practice to shame him into giving more effort?  I would hope Frank knows what motivates CK at this point and not just go with what has worked for other players in the past.  It sucks watching Frank seemingly error on the side of going too far sometimes with his style of motivating players, hopefully whatever he is doing with Curt works out.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »
Put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself what you would do if  :ck: wasn't giving you the effort you wanted from him in practice.  Do you just let it go unchecked and hope he snaps out of it? Do you belittle him daily at practice to shame him into giving more effort?  I would hope Frank knows what motivates CK at this point and not just go with what has worked for other players in the past.  It sucks watching Frank seemingly error on the side of going too far sometimes with his style of motivating players, hopefully whatever he is doing with Curt works out.

I would bench him for the first game.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
It's lame to play the hardest workers over the players who give you the best chance to win.  There are some special olypians that work their asses off.  I don't want them starting at powerforward for my University.  We're better with CK than without.  Keep trying to get him to work hard, but if he's going to help you win, even when slacking.  Play the SOB.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
Goddammit, Frank, you stubborn bad person. 

Also, if Pendergast knows he's a little bitch, it's Frank's job to get him to stop being a little bitch by the second game.  against a top 25 team.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2010, 08:06:57 PM »
It's lame to play the hardest workers over the players who give you the best chance to win.  There are some special olypians that work their asses off.  I don't want them starting at powerforward for my University.  We're better with CK than without.  Keep trying to get him to work hard, but if he's going to help you win, even when slacking.  Play the SOB.
I don't think any of us think Frank is going to bench CK when it matters. His philosophy on players giving everything the team needs in practice is to make sure we are the best team we can be when it does matter. It didn't matter against James Madison. I will be pissed if he doesn't play against Va Tech because that game has potential to give us a very quality win towards our resume come March. But, CK better fuckin start being a leader or else our frontcourt will be average again and we'll be a top 15 team at best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
Also, it's year three with CK.  YOU'VE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO GET HIM TO WORK IN PRACTICE.

This isn't your goddam JV team, Frank.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
Also, it's year three with CK.  YOU'VE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO GET HIM TO WORK IN PRACTICE.

This is probably less about CK and more about other people.  Kind of surprised about the reactions here.  Frank has done this every year.  If you want to enjoy his adorable rants on the court, you have to live with this.  They go together.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
This is probably less about CK and more about other people.  Kind of surprised about the reactions here.  Frank has done this every year.  If you want to enjoy his adorable rants on the court, you have to live with this.  They go together.

He's never done it with a player this good for a game this big.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
"right fit"

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »

He's never done it with a player this good for a game this big.

You know this game is at 3pm on a Tuesday, right?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »

You nailed it.

This is who Frank is.  He's making an example of CK early in the year by doing it the way he always does it.  I can start to theorize why, but it's pointless.  It's just Frank being Frank.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
If Curt's last name was Gonzalez this wouldn't be happening.  :opcat:

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
Guys we will beat Va Tech with or without Curt.  We have only been playing a shell of an offense and James Madison was playing pretty good D on the cats.  We will run some other looks against Va Tech and get some better looks inside.  Many of our plays set up for guards to get open looks from 3, and that worked.  I think we will see some more attempts to get the ball inside this time.  But we have enough talent to do fine when we set them up to succeed.   

:powerespect: