Author Topic: ksu ladycats  (Read 188757 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: ksu ladycats
« Reply #500 on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »
A lot of people typing a lot of words in this thread....
Go CATS!
:thumbs:

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 10, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Deb's problem, IMO, has been recruiting.  The last 3 or so years she has missed out big time.  There is no way you should field a team in the Big 12 w/out a girl over 6'0.  When Childs and Brown were Jr's (both were listed at 6'2"), they should have had recruited girls over 6'0", but got none.  Then we they were Sr's, Deb got none.  Well, guess what...they both graduated and you still had no girls on the roster 6'0".  That is full-out recruiting fail! 3 full recruiting classes w/ out a girl with height.

Now this year they landed 3 over 6'3".  I would prolly give that credit to Lehning, but I don't know.  But one of those girls never played, the other hardly played, and the Lewis girl will have a good future. A little late. So, the talking heads about giving her another year cause she has all of these frosh, well, that is just cause they didin't recruit w/ a squat the last 3 years.

You do roll the dice w/ this firing though, as I think a number of the recruits were very close to Lehning, including our best player, the point guard from Spain.  Lose her, and things will not get much better--short term...
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 10, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
The Stud/ Boss just smacked some dude around on facebook for antagonizing Chambers over one of her fb statuses.

I've never been much of a women's hoops follower, but it has been kind of disheartening to see all of our former players sad on social media.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 10, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »
The Stud/ Boss just smacked some dude around on facebook for antagonizing Chambers over one of her fb statuses.

I've never been much of a women's hoops follower, but it has been kind of disheartening to see all of our former players sad on social media.

really got him with this zinger at the end.

But what she, and I, and many other athletes are done with, are internet trolls that pretend to be fans and "love and support" us and the school. Thanks
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 10, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
What would people who follow the program closely say Deb's biggest problem was? X's and O's, recruiting, getting effort out of players?

I personally kind of always thought she recruited too many Kansas girls and that she hit the lottery with oldhe, wecker, and kanhe and then kind of stuck with that local recruiting strategy, but that's just from looking at the roster and not knowing the girls they are actually pursuing. Thoughts?

ironically enough, recruiting; ironic because this freshman class is the best one she's had in over a decade. She actually doesn't take an abnormal amount of Kansas kids, I mean non revenue sports have to take more local kids than men's basketball because of budgets

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 10, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
$1.1 million spent on WBB coaching staff compensation in FY 2013.   That number likely went up this year.   

A $5 million dollar operating loss for WBB FY 2012/13 combined.

Currie probably thinks he needs to shrink that gap and didn't think that Deb would provide the neccessary energy to do that.

My take:  Status Quo was the way to go.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
Deb seems very polarizing. Not sure what to believe.

What to believe in what regard? Many of the things people don't like about Deb is born out of the Voepel article, some details of the article aren't exactly accurate, some are sensationalized, and others people don't remember correctly.

The firing is about wins and losses, but if what Stevesie posted is accurate I hope Currie considered that heavily because that isn't right.
This is the same kind of BS you tried to pull last year.  You were wrong then and wrong now.

I'm not sure what is happening here but you are doing your thing where you become unreasonably unhinged so I'm gonna keep walking and not look you in the eye.

I will tell you that the 7.5 year old article you keep mentioning is still on the web and easy to find, I read an article earlier this evening that linked it. That chapel thing in the context you brought it up is an example of you not remembering the totality of the story. I will give you credit and not accuse you of intentionally lying because after all that article was written in 2006 & the person who spoke on record about it graduated 9 years ago.

If you want to do the song & dance about this, that's fine but I was very very close to the program back then close enough to know most of that stuff in the article before it was published. If you want to ignore all of that and just base everything off of an article written 7 years ago about stuff that happened between 8-12 years ago I'll leave you with this.

They had that option this year, that chapel is at a different time than pregame meal," Wecker said. "But at the same time, if you don't go, then what happens?"

What happened is that people who didn't want to go were told by coach not to go and they weren't kicked off of the team, a few of them stood with Wecker at the championship team reunion last month.
funny projection about posters who have a consistent history of becoming unhinged.

And once again you underplay a quality story because it has totally destroyed your position on Deb which you've constructed for years.  She has been a liability for a long time, its just sad that K-State is doing something about it now that the Ws and Ls aren't in the correct amounts.  It doesn't matter how long ago the story was written if the piece withstands scrutiny and shows a consistent issue with a coach.  But nice attempt at a cheap shot, which you're a great artist of, by feinting the lying charge.  The point I had made still stands though, K-State had an opportunity to wash their hands of Deb for cause and should have acted to protect the university. You poorly constructed attempt to attack credibility betrays your failure to make coherent points.  Deb had ethics issues then and probably still has them now. I'd love to know how close you were to the program because you make no points and sound like a tuck with that kind of line.  You can either lay out an argument or fall further into tuck talking points as a defense.  You don't make that kind of piece, put it on a reputable Sunday paper without having your story locked down.  The fact you put that quote from Wecker in your defense shows that clearly miss the context and that you clearly have no idea why Deb should have been immediately fired for the potential harm she placed the university in. 

Quite frankly I don't give a crap if they article was from years ago, that wasn't my point main in this thread.  The point was a) I wish she was gone sooner, when it would have been a cleaner break, and b) she has been in a downward trend for a few years with no major accomplishments to speak of after having many great resources at her disposal. She arguably should have been gone last year.  I listed to your points about injuries to the front court/key players and a few other issues and reconsidered my position to "the one more year" camp.  Instead we are treated with another awful year building a trend which oscillates between mediocrity and terrible.

Stop being so dramatic man, the university was in no jeopardy with the chapel issue. Why are you so mad, dude? Someone, Kendra, turned Deb in to what is basically the ACLU for having chapel essentially at the same time as team meals. They told Weiser, he told Deb not to do that, she stopped, the end.

I'll give you two more facts about this; at the time women's basketball was not the only program that walked the line or crossed the line of "mandatory" chapel, there were multiple coaches asked to stop, some of these sports shared the same Chaplin. Also if you think that we were in any danger, whatever that means, the group that went to Weiser said they do this with other schools and public entities about 10 times a year, it isn't rare & like I said she wasn't the only coach at K-State doing it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 10, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »
What would people who follow the program closely say Deb's biggest problem was? X's and O's, recruiting, getting effort out of players?

I personally kind of always thought she recruited too many Kansas girls and that she hit the lottery with oldhe, wecker, and kanhe and then kind of stuck with that local recruiting strategy, but that's just from looking at the roster and not knowing the girls they are actually pursuing. Thoughts?

her assistant (Cammie something ?) is a defensive stud and is a match-up wizard

.......Deb's offense is weird and dumb..........they constantly have nothing good happening with 5 on the shot clock

Deb's offense was fine, this was a talent issue. I've said this about the men and it holds true for the women too. Coaches aren't inventing offenses, it's all been done by someone else; done well by good players done poorly by bad players. This mythology about coaches inventing plays in the dirt is maddening.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 10, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
Hmmm. I know virtually nothing about WBB. But I want the ksu cats to be good at everything, so I vote we get a coach that makes us good.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 10, 2014, 02:32:06 PM »
Hmmm. I know virtually nothing about WBB. But I want the ksu cats to be good at everything, so I vote we get a coach that makes us good.

Then you want Shalee.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 10, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »

Then you want Shalee.

Alright.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Pat Summit

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 10, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »
Throw a ton of money at Geno.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
I really hate Deb for the religious pressure she put on players. She should have been fired years ago.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
I really hate Deb for the religious pressure she put on players. She should have been fired years ago.

What an incredibly stupid thing to hate someone for.  To each his own though imo.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:26 PM »

What an incredibly stupid thing to hate someone for.  To each his own though imo.

Uhhh not really. Hating her for being gay would be incredibly stupid.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
If we lose Romero and Shalee, not sure it will have been worth it, if they stick around, I am good with Curries move.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
If we lose Romero and Shalee, not sure it will have been worth it, if they stick around, I am good with Curries move.
Let's just say they don't like Currie.  :ohno:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
Let's just say they don't like Currie.  :ohno:

Shalee would love him if he offered her the job. If Shalee doesn't get the job I hope Deb gets a job elsewhere & takes Shalee with her so she can come home in a few years.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »
Patterson's last contract was retroactive to before the start of the 2009 season, so technically it covered 2009-14 seasons:

2009-10: 14-18/5-11

2010-11: 21-11/10-6

2011-12: 20-14/9-9

2012-13: 19-18/5-13

2013-14: 11-19/5-13

71-62/29-41

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
dax, buddy, its over. We appreciate your dogged research but she's gone, her office is already cleaned out. Not sure why you feel the need to convince us that a fired person should be fired. Who do you like for candidates, may need to go a little deeper than just looking at schedule & results though.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
would shalee reject the job based off loyalty to deb? probably not. but maybe?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »
What is Shalee, like 28ish?  Are there many head coaches in WBB that age?

By all means though, I am for giving it a shot.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
would shalee reject the job based off loyalty to deb? probably not. but maybe?

a major college job with top 30 attendance? I would hope she would set Deb on fire for this job.

What is Shalee, like 28ish?  Are there many head coaches in WBB that age?

By all means though, I am for giving it a shot.

She's young no doubt but it isn't highly unusual for young coaches to get a shot, Dawn Staley started coaching at Temple while she was in the WNBA, I believe Jen Rizzoti did the same. Sherri Coale was 31 and her only coaching experience was 6 years at Norman High before she got the job at OU.