Author Topic: Destination: SALINA!  (Read 29350 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Destination: SALINA!
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2021, 11:38:20 AM »
I wonder if the good people of Poughkeepsie or whatever have discussions as to whether or not they are part of upstate ny

This doesn’t exist in Oklahoma, but they also have defined historical tribal nation boundaries. I’ve brought this up to my friends in Oklahoma and they think it’s very strange.

I think it's neat that KS is diverse enough to have regions, like Nebraska is just Nebraska right?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2021, 08:12:30 PM »
no, western nebraska is v different than eastern

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 04, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »
no, western nebraska is v different than eastern
The word
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »
I have the privilege of working in Salina every Thursday. Some decent hole-in-the-wall food places and then some wtf recreational/entertainment places like Sky (trampoline park) and AJ's (the lasertag, arcade, bowling alley place YLA referred to). Decent country club and neat zoo too.

Which hole in the wall places?   Bogeys on 9th is solid but probably doesn’t fit that bill. My guesses are Cozy’s,  Chucks, and Scheme
Taqueria Fresnillo, Mattie's Grill and Chill, Auntie Rita's Jamaican Cuisine. Bogey's and Cozy's are both pretty meh. Chuck's was good the one time I ate there. Still haven't had Scheme. They also have a YaYa's now which is pretty good for Salina.

You must go during one of its very normal 18.5 hours/week of being open.

https://twitter.com/TheSchemeKS/status/1379483647233961984

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2021, 12:59:27 PM »
I have the privilege of working in Salina every Thursday. Some decent hole-in-the-wall food places and then some wtf recreational/entertainment places like Sky (trampoline park) and AJ's (the lasertag, arcade, bowling alley place YLA referred to). Decent country club and neat zoo too.

Which hole in the wall places?   Bogeys on 9th is solid but probably doesn’t fit that bill. My guesses are Cozy’s,  Chucks, and Scheme
Taqueria Fresnillo, Mattie's Grill and Chill, Auntie Rita's Jamaican Cuisine. Bogey's and Cozy's are both pretty meh. Chuck's was good the one time I ate there. Still haven't had Scheme. They also have a YaYa's now which is pretty good for Salina.

You must go during one of its very normal 18.5 hours/week of being open.

https://twitter.com/TheSchemeKS/status/1379483647233961984

And if they feel like leaving at 7:45, they’ll leave at 7:45
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2021, 01:54:21 PM »
My buddy was the kicker for Kansas Wesleyan back in the early 2000's.  We would always drive in from Manhattan for his games and then party with the team after at a place we called "The Spot".  It doesn't seem like that exists anymore, anyone have an idea of what it is called now?  It was the trashiest of trashy dance clubs, but we always had a blast!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2021, 02:32:21 PM »
did it happen to be on the east side of Santa Fe across the street from Big Nose Kate’s (second story bar with patio)?

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2021, 02:35:31 PM »
did it happen to be on the east side of Santa Fe across the street from Big Nose Kate’s (second story bar with patio)?

I don't really remember street names, but it was def on the east side, and from the Google street view that looks accurate.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »

my memory is a bit fuzzy, can’t remember if it was the building on the right in this pic

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2021, 02:40:36 PM »
(i never actually ended up going there, even for drunken lolz)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2021, 02:49:07 PM »
oh hmm that was Inferno (lol), may have been too late for this timeline

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2021, 02:54:56 PM »
According to my buddy it was at 232 N Santa Fe... so just north of The Alley.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2021, 02:55:56 PM »
oh hmm that was Inferno (lol), may have been too late for this timeline

You’re from abilene.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2021, 03:01:08 PM »
ah ok, I remember it as the blue goat (kinda metal-y vibes) in mid-late 2000s... that block was amazingly dive’y back then, had to be an experience

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »
this is a borderline salina thing but for some reason I went with a dorm friend to visit their friends that went to Cloud County and I went to some roadside bar in the middle of nowhere with a fake ID and got blitzed. I think it was like a dance club? I googled and couldn't figure it out.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2021, 03:22:39 PM »
The Rock?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2021, 03:23:06 PM »
this is a borderline salina thing but for some reason I went with a dorm friend to visit their friends that went to Cloud County and I went to some roadside bar in the middle of nowhere with a fake ID and got blitzed. I think it was like a dance club? I googled and couldn't figure it out.

The Rock?

EDIT: yep

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2021, 03:27:52 PM »
lol it was definitely the Rock

One of the worst "bars" I've been to in a long time. I travel a lot for work, and often find myself wanting to go out for a drink. This usually brings me to whatever hole in the wall is closest to my hotel at the time. Being that the town was showing little signs of anything promising, I made my way to this local watering hole. To start the pool tables are garbage, which is to be expected, but with mystery stains covering every square inch of felt, uneven playing surfaces, and faulty returns it was hard to enjoy a game. The bar staff was undereducated in their minimal selection of alcohol, and even more lacking in personal skills. I ordered the same drink on three separate occasions and was charged a different amount each time. I was told upon arrival I was there on College Night, which turned out to be underage drinking night. The lack of concern for minors in the establishment openly consuming alcohol was a shock to me. I have managed and worked in several bars throughout my school days, and I for one would never allow this kind of thing to happen. As a recent college grad, I was the oldest person in the bar, aside from the staff. The patrons on that night appeared to be in their late teens at most. I would not recommend this place to anyone unless the aforementioned is something that peaks your interest.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-rock-quarry-concordia

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2021, 03:30:26 PM »
I won't be surprised if a decent percentage of gE went through the rite of passage at KSU that is someone dragging them to The Rock.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2021, 03:32:54 PM »
lol it was definitely the Rock

One of the worst "bars" I've been to in a long time. I travel a lot for work, and often find myself wanting to go out for a drink. This usually brings me to whatever hole in the wall is closest to my hotel at the time. Being that the town was showing little signs of anything promising, I made my way to this local watering hole. To start the pool tables are garbage, which is to be expected, but with mystery stains covering every square inch of felt, uneven playing surfaces, and faulty returns it was hard to enjoy a game. The bar staff was undereducated in their minimal selection of alcohol, and even more lacking in personal skills. I ordered the same drink on three separate occasions and was charged a different amount each time. I was told upon arrival I was there on College Night, which turned out to be underage drinking night. The lack of concern for minors in the establishment openly consuming alcohol was a shock to me. I have managed and worked in several bars throughout my school days, and I for one would never allow this kind of thing to happen. As a recent college grad, I was the oldest person in the bar, aside from the staff. The patrons on that night appeared to be in their late teens at most. I would not recommend this place to anyone unless the aforementioned is something that peaks your interest.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-rock-quarry-concordia

There are certain members of Congress from Florida whose interest may indeed be piqued. Or peaked, as it were.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2021, 03:37:38 PM »
I have absolutely no idea where Concordia is.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2021, 04:02:44 PM »
I can say that growing up in South Central Kansas, we definitely did not consider it Western Kansas. IRL and on various boards, including this one, it has become a weird flex to pejoratively refer to the vast majority of the state as Western Kansas, without regard to geography, climate, or anything else other than a weird brand of hubris. And that's without getting into the implied premise that Western Kansas folks are somehow "less than." I don't accept that as a given.

"Everything west of Johnson County is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Lawrence is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Topeka is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Manhattan is Western Kansas"

--> Things self-unaware losers from Kansas say.

As you can tell, the scales never fell from my eyes.

I break the state down into 3 categories, personally. Everything from Salina east, as far south as Emporia, is within the Midwest. The eastern part of the state that is south of Emporia is within the South. Everything else is the High Plains, or the Old West. The line at Salina jogs east a little bit as you move south, because I would include Wichita with the Old West. Wichita, Amarillo, and Pueblo are all basically the same city in my eyes.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
I can say that growing up in South Central Kansas, we definitely did not consider it Western Kansas. IRL and on various boards, including this one, it has become a weird flex to pejoratively refer to the vast majority of the state as Western Kansas, without regard to geography, climate, or anything else other than a weird brand of hubris. And that's without getting into the implied premise that Western Kansas folks are somehow "less than." I don't accept that as a given.

"Everything west of Johnson County is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Lawrence is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Topeka is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Manhattan is Western Kansas"

--> Things self-unaware losers from Kansas say.

As you can tell, the scales never fell from my eyes.

I break the state down into 3 categories, personally. Everything from Salina east, as far south as Emporia, is within the Midwest. The eastern part of the state that is south of Emporia is within the South. Everything else is the High Plains, or the Old West. The line at Salina jogs east a little bit as you move south, because I would include Wichita with the Old West. Wichita, Amarillo, and Pueblo are all basically the same city in my eyes.
I've never thought of it this way but I think your categories are useful.

I would consider everything east of Russell and west of Manhattan to be part of central KS.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2021, 05:08:35 PM »
I had never heard anyone refer to central Kansas until some central kansas'rs were offended by the western Kansas label.