Author Topic: Destination: SALINA!  (Read 29399 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Destination: SALINA!
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2021, 08:43:38 PM »
It’s clearly western ks though

The scales fell off my eyes eventually
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2021, 08:48:10 PM »
In one of my classes we were going around telling everyone where we were from. I mentioned Salina and the prof was like "Salina, that's just a giant truck stop, rite?"

Seriously, though I don't care what anyone else says about Salina. From the post-industrial wasteland that is the old elevator and milling district in North Salina to day drinking at Big Nose Kate's to memories of Big 8 women's tourney at the Bi-Center, I will never stop loving Salina.

Didn’t realize you were a fellow Salinian.  The Bi Center being named the Tony’s Pizza event center still fucks with me.
Changing the name to TPEC was absolutely bullshit. Disgusting.

I didn’t grow up in Salina but a tiny town in the vicinity. Still have a soft spot for it in my heart.

I spent so much time running around there as a kid. I probably went to every South/Central BB game for 10 years starting in 3rd grade. Even spent a large chunk of the summer of 99 there watching Cagers games because of a Cager’s coach’s daughter from out of town. I can still smell that building and I think I’ve only been in it once since my high school graduation 19 years ago.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2021, 08:50:51 PM »
It’s clearly western ks though

The scales fell off my eyes eventually

I used to think that western KS started at Russell. Sometimes now we come up I-135 and turn west on I-70 to go to Mrs. Hamburg’s grandma. By mile 248 I feel like I’m in western KS.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
Salina is the gateway to Western Kansas. It might be in it, it might not! But it definitely starts there

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2021, 08:59:34 PM »
Salina is the gateway to Western Kansas. It might be in it, it might not! But it definitely starts there

Like the welcoming signs of your favorite truck stop

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2021, 09:13:57 PM »
I can say that growing up in South Central Kansas, we definitely did not consider it Western Kansas. IRL and on various boards, including this one, it has become a weird flex to pejoratively refer to the vast majority of the state as Western Kansas, without regard to geography, climate, or anything else other than a weird brand of hubris. And that's without getting into the implied premise that Western Kansas folks are somehow "less than." I don't accept that as a given.

"Everything west of Johnson County is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Lawrence is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Topeka is Western Kansas"

"Everything west of Manhattan is Western Kansas"

--> Things self-unaware losers from Kansas say.

As you can tell, the scales never fell from my eyes.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2021, 09:20:36 PM »
I used to say Hays, but now I think Abilene.

I definitely have a slightly skewed view because until high school sports I basically only went to Kansas towns on I-70E

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2021, 09:32:20 PM »
I used to say Hays, but now I think Abilene.

I definitely have a slightly skewed view because until high school sports I basically only went to Kansas towns on I-70E

I-70 plays a major roll in it for me. There are still some turns on it as works it’s way south from Junction City to Salina. Once you get past Halstead road exit 249 it’s almost perfectly straight for at least 15 miles. That first flat, straight stretch is a hard geographical change for me.

I also grew up drilling wells all around the area. There’s a lot more water/vegetation between Salina/Abilene than Salina/Ellsworth. There’s a pretty quick geological change west of I-135 as well.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2021, 09:40:01 PM »

I can say that growing up in South Central Kansas, we definitely did not consider it Western Kansas. IRL and on various boards, including this one, it has become a weird flex to pejoratively refer to the vast majority of the state as Western Kansas, without regard to geography, climate, or anything else other than a weird brand of hubris. And that's without getting into the implied premise that Western Kansas folks are somehow "less than." I don't accept that as a given.

If you were within Wichita radio distance (in every direction the tractor was facing and regardless of weather) you got to claim South Central instead of Western. Otherwise the line is the Flint Hills. Great discussion, one of my faves.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »

Love your zeal, Western Kansas is a state of mind not a geography tho

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2021, 10:58:51 PM »
I have the privilege of working in Salina every Thursday. Some decent hole-in-the-wall food places and then some wtf recreational/entertainment places like Sky (trampoline park) and AJ's (the lasertag, arcade, bowling alley place YLA referred to). Decent country club and neat zoo too.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2021, 11:04:58 PM »
I have the privilege of working in Salina every Thursday. Some decent hole-in-the-wall food places and then some wtf recreational/entertainment places like Sky (trampoline park) and AJ's (the lasertag, arcade, bowling alley place YLA referred to). Decent country club and neat zoo too.

Which hole in the wall places?   Bogeys on 9th is solid but probably doesn’t fit that bill. My guesses are Cozy’s,  Chucks, and Scheme

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2021, 11:12:07 PM »
I love the where does western Kansas start discussion

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2021, 11:32:22 PM »

Which hole in the wall places?   Bogeys on 9th is solid but probably doesn’t fit that bill. My guesses are Cozy’s,  Chucks, and Scheme
Taqueria Fresnillo, Mattie's Grill and Chill, Auntie Rita's Jamaican Cuisine. Bogey's and Cozy's are both pretty meh. Chuck's was good the one time I ate there. Still haven't had Scheme. They also have a YaYa's now which is pretty good for Salina.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2021, 11:42:58 PM »

For awhile on twitter there was a “if you had to get on stage as give a 19 minute talk on any subject with no prep time, what could you do it on?” tweet going around. Mine would be “what are the geographical regions of Kansas” and “where does western Kansas start” would probably just take up the whole thing. I could probably do 5 minutes just on the Beloit/Lincoln/Slyvan Grove triangle and the significance of the post rock line.  Probably another 5 minutes on the Volga Germans/Czech descendants of Ellis/Russell/Rush/Barton counties and how they fit in culturally with other areas of central/west Kansas.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:52:10 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2021, 11:44:04 PM »
La Casita.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2021, 11:47:51 PM »
I wonder if the good people of Poughkeepsie or whatever have discussions as to whether or not they are part of upstate ny

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2021, 11:50:03 PM »
I wonder if the good people of Poughkeepsie or whatever have discussions as to whether or not they are part of upstate ny

This doesn’t exist in Oklahoma, but they also have defined historical tribal nation boundaries. I’ve brought this up to my friends in Oklahoma and they think it’s very strange.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2021, 11:57:27 PM »
It probably has something to do with the defense I always hear given to non-Kansans about how boring KS geography is: "That's just Western KS." Being from Western KS is deemed negative. I don't know why SEKS gets a pass though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2021, 12:31:33 AM »

Yes, big time Kansas Citians definitely love it! :gocho:

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2021, 12:44:44 AM »

It probably has something to do with the defense I always hear given to non-Kansans about how boring KS geography is: "That's just Western KS." Being from Western KS is deemed negative. I don't know why SEKS gets a pass though.

SEKS is part of western ks

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2021, 12:45:06 AM »

Yes, big time Kansas Citians definitely love it! :gocho:
Oh 100%

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2021, 02:01:22 AM »

SEKS is part of western ks
:D

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2021, 08:30:53 AM »
In one of my classes we were going around telling everyone where we were from. I mentioned Salina and the prof was like "Salina, that's just a giant truck stop, rite?"

Seriously, though I don't care what anyone else says about Salina. From the post-industrial wasteland that is the old elevator and milling district in North Salina to day drinking at Big Nose Kate's to memories of Big 8 women's tourney at the Bi-Center, I will never stop loving Salina.

Didn’t realize you were a fellow Salinian.  The Bi Center being named the Tony’s Pizza event center still fucks with me.

I didn’t grow up in Salina but a tiny town in the vicinity. Still have a soft spot for it in my heart.

Calling it Tony's Pizza Box is much more fun, imo
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »

Calling it Tony's Pizza Box is much more fun, imo
:lol: