Author Topic: Destination: SALINA!  (Read 29659 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Destination: SALINA!
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »
Just walked around the mall for 10 minutes just to see. That was super depressing.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2021, 11:41:10 AM »
See the Go carts in Sears?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2021, 04:13:01 PM »

I did. If that sticks a few more years that could be a activity for the kids while visiting.

The trail they put it at The Land Institute backs up to my parents house. Did the 2+ mile loop with the kids yesterday along the river. It was pretty nice.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2021, 09:04:32 PM »
What’s the deal with this hot ass indoor go kart laser tag etc complex they built? Is it awesome or what? I’m a little jealous mhk doesn’t have something like that

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2021, 09:08:09 PM »
Taco Grande coming back after more than 20 years. Opening in the old LJS.

Curious how much they clean that building up. Looks extremely dumpy

Never opened Taco Grande, building still looks like a dump.
SnoWizard closed/knocked down.
Goodcents closed.

Just killing my childhood little-by-little.

:cry:

that corner is a girl scout cookie hotspot now.

I did. If that sticks a few more years that could be a activity for the kids while visiting.

The trail they put it at The Land Institute backs up to my parents house. Did the 2+ mile loop with the kids yesterday along the river. It was pretty nice.

Is that different than the Marty Bender area? Have heard a few people talk about that
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2021, 09:11:39 PM »
What’s the deal with this hot ass indoor go kart laser tag etc complex they built? Is it awesome or what? I’m a little jealous mhk doesn’t have something like that
In college one of my research projects for one of my classes included creating like a 50 page business plan for this exact thing in MHK.

The location we had for it was just north of stagg hill on the other side of fort Riley blvd on that big open plot.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »
In college one of my research projects for one of my classes included creating like a 50 page business plan for this exact thing in MHK.

The location we had for it was just north of stagg hill on the other side of fort Riley blvd on that big open plot.

Manhattan mall had laser tag at one time!

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2021, 10:55:41 PM »
Is that different than the Marty Bender area? Have heard a few people talk about that

It’s the Marty Bender thing. It’s was a nice thing to do to get outside with the kids, but nothing special. It’s a 2 mile loop that’s half across the Land Institute prairie and half a trail through the trees next to the river. The only downside I see is it looks like it’s a quarter mile across the grassland from where you park to the loop, so if you drive there it’s probably 60/40 grassland. The trails through the trees overlooking the river were definitely my kids’ favorite part. The river part is what makes it different. It’s also nice with smaller kids because it has a few places to stop with benches, tree stumps & a couple swings hung from tree branches.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2021, 11:00:51 PM »
Laser tag, when done right, is a blast.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2021, 02:44:01 PM »
Laser tag, when done right, is a blast.

true story alert spracne edition***

I was in austin with my family four years ago. I have two boys who were 8 and 10 at the time. Looking for stuff to do for a few hours. Enter.....Blazertag. The largest indoor lazer tag arena in texas! It was a day where they had an all you could play pass. So i take them and they're doing it and loving it and after about an hour of them begging me to do it i'm like what the heck ok. Three hours later we were finally done. It was great!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2021, 08:35:27 AM »
In one of my classes we were going around telling everyone where we were from. I mentioned Salina and the prof was like "Salina, that's just a giant truck stop, rite?"

Seriously, though I don't care what anyone else says about Salina. From the post-industrial wasteland that is the old elevator and milling district in North Salina to day drinking at Big Nose Kate's to memories of Big 8 women's tourney at the Bi-Center, I will never stop loving Salina.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »
my parents saw the avett brothers at that theater (they were members for a season or two) and I don't know if they played the Salina song or not but I'm guessing they did!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »
my parents saw the avett brothers at that theater (they were members for a season or two) and I don't know if they played the Salina song or not but I'm guessing they did!

looks like they did!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-avett-brothers/2018/stiefel-theatre-salina-ks-3ea01a7.html

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2021, 11:19:01 AM »
In one of my classes we were going around telling everyone where we were from. I mentioned Salina and the prof was like "Salina, that's just a giant truck stop, rite?"

Seriously, though I don't care what anyone else says about Salina. From the post-industrial wasteland that is the old elevator and milling district in North Salina to day drinking at Big Nose Kate's to memories of Big 8 women's tourney at the Bi-Center, I will never stop loving Salina.

I had no idea people thought Salina was shitty until I went to college. I guess 20 years ago people from out of town would go to the mall & think it was run down compared to Town East in Wichita and would see the trailer park next to I-135. Now when I go back I can kind-of see it, as a lot of the houses on the south side that were built in the 1970s haven’t had the best upkeep, but I still don’t fully understand how it’s reputation got so bad.

Also, it wasn’t just people from Kansas. My first job out of college in Tulsa was at the plant that took over building all the stuff that was in the Hawker plant they closed. Everyone there that had to go to Salina to move it all also thought it was shitty & these are people that come from much shittier towns around Tulsa.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:39:51 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2021, 11:29:02 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of idiots that have never been to the hickory hut
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2021, 11:33:01 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of idiots that have never been to the hickory hut

Exactly!

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2021, 07:48:47 AM »

I can see the truck stop description if you just drive by on the interstates. I never knew how far south and east the town went until I actually went driving around.

Also before i knew any better, we skipped Hickory Hut for Hog Wild because I thought Hickory Hut looked run down. Such a dumbass
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2021, 07:51:28 AM »

Didn’t realize you were a fellow Salinian.  The Bi Center being named the Tony’s Pizza event center still fucks with me.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »

I can see the truck stop description if you just drive by on the interstates. I never knew how far south and east the town went until I actually went driving around.

Also before i knew any better, we skipped Hickory Hut for Hog Wild because I thought Hickory Hut looked run down. Such a dumbass

Luckily at a young age I learned that with BBQ the quality level of the food is usually the inverse of the value of building it’s in.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2021, 09:20:04 AM »
Nothing wrong with being known for a truck stop, Salinians!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2021, 07:37:09 PM »

Didn’t realize you were a fellow Salinian.  The Bi Center being named the Tony’s Pizza event center still fucks with me.
Changing the name to TPEC was absolutely bullshit. Disgusting.

I didn’t grow up in Salina but a tiny town in the vicinity. Still have a soft spot for it in my heart.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2021, 07:47:24 PM »
Nothing wrong with being known for a truck stop, Salinians!

I use to get fighting you level mad when people called Salina western kansas.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2021, 08:40:00 PM »
It’s clearly western ks though
:adios:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile