Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 119252 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #650 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
kc bbq all depends on what you want.  if you want sammies and sauce OKJ, stand alone meat with a little sauce, Jack stack probably.  I don't care for gates, I never go to bryants because Smokin Joes is closer and very good, similar style.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »

I haven't bothered with Bryant's because I've never met anyone who says its the best.

Actually, yes, we have met.
:adios:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
Joes isn't even the best BBQ in KC, that'd be Jack Stack. I'm also going to take a pretty educated guess that Bourdain hasn't visited as many rib joints as I have. There are at least three places in Wichita that are better than anything in KC, I haven't bothered with Bryant's because I've never met anyone who says its the best. All that vinegar in Gates' sauce is horrawful, its like that Memphis crap, just gross.

OKC has the best BBQ IMO. If you want to go deep into the hood you can find the two best places in the world. One of them is on MLK Ave :ohno:

Wichita post.

agreed

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 05, 2013, 10:03:52 AM »
Joes isn't even the best BBQ in KC, that'd be Jack Stack. I'm also going to take a pretty educated guess that Bourdain hasn't visited as many rib joints as I have. There are at least three places in Wichita that are better than anything in KC, I haven't bothered with Bryant's because I've never met anyone who says its the best. All that vinegar in Gates' sauce is horrawful, its like that Memphis crap, just gross.

OKC has the best BBQ IMO. If you want to go deep into the hood you can find the two best places in the world. One of them is on MLK Ave :ohno:

Wichita post.

agreed

Nothing in Wichita is "the best" of something

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 05, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
OKC has the best BBQ IMO.

Wichita post.

agreed

:confused:

you said that wichita has at least three places that do bbq better than any place in kc and then listed okc as having the best bbq in the world. it was a pretty wichitaey post.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 05, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
what are the chances that the guy from wichita thinks that wichita has the best bbq in the world.

also I'm in no way shape or form from Wichita. I lived in New England longer than I lived in Wichita

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »

Wichita post.

agreed

you said that wichita has at least three places that do bbq better than any place in kc and then listed okc as having the best bbq in the world. it was a pretty wichitaey post.

Other than skepticism, any of you prepared to offer a first hand rebuttal?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »
If wichita bbq were so increds I probably would have gone there by now (havent). How's that for first hand?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
what are the chances that the guy from wichita thinks that wichita has the best bbq in the world.

also I'm in no way shape or form from Wichita. I lived in New England longer than I lived in Wichita

i missed the okc part, tired from last night's gaga concert.  point is that no one other than you and you think that okc/wichita has better bbq than kansas city.  and that's ok because i'm not going to tell you what you like any more than you telling me what i like.

no reason to argue something as subjective as one's taste

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 05, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
Guys, look at the guy from New England talk about BBQ!  :lol:

"Hello there, can I get some clam chowder with my burnt ends?  No?  Wicked weak!"

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 05, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »

Wichita post.

agreed

Nothing in Wichita is "the best" of something

confirmed.  MIR trying too hard to troll here.  IMO!
emaw

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 05, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
MIR is correct. 

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 05, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
probably the most interesting thing about wichitans is how hard they will try and convince themselves that wichita is just as good as kansas city

pro-tip: it isn't
emaw

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 05, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »

I don't have a rebuttal.  Never had BBQ in either location.  Further, never heard anybody who knows anything about BBQ mention Wichita or OKC as having good BBQ.  On the other hand, any time I've every heard a BBQ snob or foodie TV personality talk about BBQ (Collichio, Bobby Flay, Gail Simmons, etc.), they mention either KC or Memphis.  I've also never heard of any world renowned BBQ competitions in Wichita or OKC, as opposed to KC and Memphis. 

I dunno.  I eat BBQ about 5-10 times a year in KC.  Not an expert.  I just like it a lot.  And I hear other people they like it a lot.  And that's good enough for me to conclude that it's better than Wichita and OKC.  I try not to travel to those locations if I can help it.  Certainly not eating the bbq there when I'm forced to go. 

BUT ANYWAY, this should be split off into its own thread. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 05, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
Next time I am in Wichita (if I ever am back in Wichita), I will join MIR for BBQ and see if I can refute his claims.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 05, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »
probably the most interesting thing about wichitans is how hard they will try and convince themselves that wichita is just as good as kansas city

Are you referring to me? One of us is from the Wichita area, pro-tip: you, not me.

Next time I am in Wichita (if I ever am back in Wichita), I will join MIR for BBQ and see if I can refute his claims.

No longer a Wichita pak'r :cry:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 05, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »
whats the best bbq in the greater Ames metropolitan area?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 05, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »

Are you referring to me? One of us is from the Wichita area, pro-tip: you, not me.

No longer a Wichita pak'r :cry:

I forgot.  I don't know where you lived in New England, but you seem to consistently move to worse places.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 05, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
definitely would need to know where in NE he lived before making that claim.  wichita is undoubtedly a step up from a lot of places in the northeast

<---nor'easter

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 05, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »

I don't have a rebuttal.  Never had BBQ in either location.  Further, never heard anybody who knows anything about BBQ mention Wichita or OKC as having good BBQ.  On the other hand, any time I've every heard a BBQ snob or foodie TV personality talk about BBQ (Collichio, Bobby Flay, Gail Simmons, etc.), they mention either KC or Memphis.  I've also never heard of any world renowned BBQ competitions in Wichita or OKC, as opposed to KC and Memphis. 

I dunno.  I eat BBQ about 5-10 times a year in KC.  Not an expert.  I just like it a lot.  And I hear other people they like it a lot.  And that's good enough for me to conclude that it's better than Wichita and OKC.  I try not to travel to those locations if I can help it.  Certainly not eating the bbq there when I'm forced to go. 

BUT ANYWAY, this should be split off into its own thread.

You're definitely smart enough to know that something not considered an option can't be eliminated as the best. When these foodies say KC is the best BBQ they are comparing it to other tourist traps in Texas, Memphis, and North Carolina. Compared to these places I would agree that Joes and Jack Stack are much better. I hate the mustard used in Carolina bbq, hate the Memphis vinegar crap, and don't like Texas' insistence on using beef ribs. BTW in Wichita and KC they prepare ribs KC style. 

Unless Flay has been to all of these off the beaten path places everywhere, his opinion is what it is. Now this is not to say that there isn't some amazing BBQ places in KC that may be out of the way, but other than Jack Stack the four most frequently mentioned are wildly overrated and IMO not close to the best in the country.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 05, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »

Fiorella Jack Stack behind Union Station

definitely would need to know where in NE he lived before making that claim.  wichita is undoubtedly a step up from a lot of places in the northeast

<---nor'easter

Clam's is definitely right, there is a lot of horrible places in New England, thankfully I lived in none of those places. I lived in Boston and in rural Maine. I've been lucky enough to legitimately like every place I've lived as an adult, and I've lived in a lot of places as an adult. I liked Wichita and I like the DSM area.  One thing you really appreciate about Wichita as opposed to New England and Iowa is winter weather. Also Wichita food options are underrated by dumbasses who think hating on Wichita is edgy. I mean were talking GoddardCat type humor folks.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 05, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
When your opinion goes against the vast majority of other people's opinions there is a decent chance your opinion is wrong and stupid.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 05, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
Not that shithole Old Main