Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 120008 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #625 on: February 02, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
 :excited:
When I have questions about BBQ restaurant cooking practices, I turn to the NBAF thread.

+1

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 02, 2013, 10:38:03 AM »
When I have questions about BBQ restaurant cooking practices, I turn to the NBAF thread.

would love to know who doesn't.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 04, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
BBQ is just so gosh darn delicious everybody.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 04, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
-Just Spitballin here-

Bob's Sauce Toss.  It would be like ring toss, with miniature sauce bottles. 

"Toss a ring into the bottle pit and aim for your favorite sauce!  Try to win your own bottle of sauce to lather onto your delicious kebob/bbq at Bob's Sauce and Sugar Shack!"

Charge a buck or something and stock the pit with all of the different kinds of sauce!  The best way to do it would be to stock it largely with the least popular sauce (let's face it every bbq place has a "weak link" when it comes to sauces) and then varying amounts of the sauces with medium to high popularity.  But also include at least one bottle of sauce that is the super secret sauce that is only available in the Sauce Toss!
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
Thanks to this thread, I pitched the idea of lunch at Okie Joe's with the Mrs on Saturday.  Wasn't sure if she'd go for it since we're both in BTTW training mode.  She loved it.  Just thought I'd share.  Go Cats.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 04, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »
what did you get?   

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 04, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
We shared a jumbo pork z-man (no cheese) and the order of fries, waters to drink.  We cut the sandwich in half and then I would put the Night of the Living Dead sauce on the sandwich as I ate it.  I think she put the sauce on the plate and then "dipped" or "swiped" the sandwich in it as she ate.  I put the sweeter sauce on the fries and ate them with a fork.  I finished my water and wanted more but didn't want to fight the people for just water.  After that I walked over the TSC to buy some dog food.  The old man at the register said he'd been selling a lot of this particular brand of dog food today, and I quipped "seems like it's higher every time I buy!"  Then he says "well I bet the price of corn figures into that some how."  "Yup."  "Yep." 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
i usually get the pulled pork z man myself (w/ cheese). 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 04, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
Where you buy your dog food?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »
dogs are for pussies.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
 :cry:

I bet you have a pet Apache attack helicopter or something.   :rolleyes:

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 04, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
why on earth would anyone get a z-man without cheese?  that's the dumbest thing i've ever rough ridin' heard.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
Don't wanna die.  That was the biggest reason.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »

I've eaten plenty of z-man's (with cheese like a normal person), and i'm still here typing this message to your dumbass.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 04, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »

I've eaten plenty of z-man's (with cheese like a normal person), and i'm still here typing this message to your dumbass.

A z-man with cheese isn't unilaterally lethal.  Might make fingers type stupid things on keyboards though.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 04, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »
Cheese can GTFOOMBBQS
:adios:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 04, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
Cheese can GTFOOMBBQS

This. Cheese and BBQ sounds pretty damn hayseedy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »
Cox catering is fine, because it's pretty hard to eff up a pulled pork sandwich that you but together yourself.

But they are a decent at best restaurant.
i mean, are they even a restaurant?  it's an order-at-the-counter bbq joint.  it's not supposed to be jack stack.

is it as good as oklahoma joes?  i guess not, but it's a decent, quick, cheap enough, local bbq joint.  and that ain't bad.

Dlew, maybe someone can give us more specific examples of why Cox Bros is so bad?

I think I need help here b/c I really like it. Its not OK Joes, ABs, or Gates, but it tastes good and I enjoy it.

Maybe I just don't taste things very well? :dunno:
it's because generally people that live in, or have ever lived in ks, and especially kc, are huge entitled dicks about anything bbq related.  they feel like because they eat a z-man regularly they get to pretty much think any non-kc bbq place is complete crap. 

it's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), really.

kc bbq is really overrated and Gates is actually gross, I'll never eat there again.  Best bbq is Julius Rib Cage in Wichita and Leo's in OKC.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
Cox catering is fine, because it's pretty hard to eff up a pulled pork sandwich that you but together yourself.

i mean, are they even a restaurant?  it's an order-at-the-counter bbq joint.  it's not supposed to be jack stack.

is it as good as oklahoma joes?  i guess not, but it's a decent, quick, cheap enough, local bbq joint.  and that ain't bad.

Dlew, maybe someone can give us more specific examples of why Cox Bros is so bad?

I think I need help here b/c I really like it. Its not OK Joes, ABs, or Gates, but it tastes good and I enjoy it.

it's because generally people that live in, or have ever lived in ks, and especially kc, are huge entitled dicks about anything bbq related.  they feel like because they eat a z-man regularly they get to pretty much think any non-kc bbq place is complete crap. 

kc bbq is really overrated and Gates is actually gross, I'll never eat there again.  Best bbq is Julius Rib Cage in Wichita and Leo's in OKC.

Gates would be fine if they didn't use so much goddamn sauce. The bun is completely soggy by three bites in.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »

Meh.  I agree with Gates sucking.  But, as Anthony Bourdain said, "OK Joe's is the best BBQ in KC and, therefore, the best in the world.". hyperbole or not, KC has some damn good BBQ.  Woodyard BBQ is good, off the beaten path a bit.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #645 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »

Gates would be fine if they didn't use so much goddamn sauce. The bun is completely soggy by three bites in.

On what sandwich? I assure you this isn't true for the beef and a half or beef on a bun.
:adios:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #646 on: February 04, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
I ask for no sauce at Gates, and then I sauce it myself.

Will NBAF increase property values in the area east of the parkway?  Or, is that area too blighted to respond to overall increased regional economic growth?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 05, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »
Joes isn't even the best BBQ in KC, that'd be Jack Stack. I'm also going to take a pretty educated guess that Bourdain hasn't visited as many rib joints as I have. There are at least three places in Wichita that are better than anything in KC, I haven't bothered with Bryant's because I've never met anyone who says its the best. All that vinegar in Gates' sauce is horrawful, its like that Memphis crap, just gross.

OKC has the best BBQ IMO. If you want to go deep into the hood you can find the two best places in the world. One of them is on MLK Ave :ohno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »
Joes isn't even the best BBQ in KC, that'd be Jack Stack. I'm also going to take a pretty educated guess that Bourdain hasn't visited as many rib joints as I have. There are at least three places in Wichita that are better than anything in KC, I haven't bothered with Bryant's because I've never met anyone who says its the best. All that vinegar in Gates' sauce is horrawful, its like that Memphis crap, just gross.

OKC has the best BBQ IMO. If you want to go deep into the hood you can find the two best places in the world. One of them is on MLK Ave :ohno:

Wichita post.